• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• reset-on-cranking-

what the hell is reset-on-cranking i am lost

Originally posted by Evo Designs
    what the hell is reset-on-cranking i am lost
    When your crank your engine to start, the computer resets itself and has to restart. Kind of like when you have a power outage for a second, your home computer reboots. Some power supplies allow the computer to run the 2-3 seconds it takes to start up the vehicle.
    Installation Complete, pics soon

EPIA M10000 in Morex 3688 case
    FrodoPlayer
    CoPilot Live 8

Back from long hiatus, will be rebuilding soon

Comment

i see thanks

Comment

Part of that statement is true but I don't think you explained it fully.

When you start your car you get a voltage drop. If you car has a proper working charging system then your voltage should not drop below 10.5V. This is a voltage level that a lot of inverters use as a cutoff point. Obviously your computer gets no power when the inverter input voltage drops that low and causes it to turn off which will make the computer turn off. So, this is where the reset on cranking term comes in.

Just an FYI. I've used invereters for all my computer setups in my cars and have never had issues with the computer rebooting.
        Aura MR62 (F and R)
        My Current MP3s
        IamDefiler.com

Comment

Originally posted by Defiler
          Part of that statement is true but I don't think you explained it fully.

When you start your car you get a voltage drop. If you car has a proper working charging system then your voltage should not drop below 10.5V. This is a voltage level that a lot of inverters use as a cutoff point. Obviously your computer gets no power when the inverter input voltage drops that low and causes it to turn off which will make the computer turn off. So, this is where the reset on cranking term comes in.

Just an FYI. I've used invereters for all my computer setups in my cars and have never had issues with the computer rebooting.
          Some cars actually disable all accessory power while the engine is cranking. The only thing being powered are the required items to get the vehicle running, ie. starter, ignition electrical system, etc.
          Installation Complete, pics soon

EPIA M10000 in Morex 3688 case
          FrodoPlayer
          CoPilot Live 8

Back from long hiatus, will be rebuilding soon

Comment

Originally posted by ncamara
            Some cars actually disable all accessory power while the engine is cranking. The only thing being powered are the required items to get the vehicle running, ie. starter, ignition electrical system, etc.
            Ahh very true statement. This is why you should, if you want to, wire the inverter directly to the battery to avoid the problem.
            Aura MR62 (F and R)
            My Current MP3s
            IamDefiler.com

Comment

Hnrm...I have an Unorthodox underdrive pulley so my alternator tends to charge at lower voltage than normal, eventually resulting in my voltage dropping to around 9 when cranking.

My understanding is that the inverters automatically shut down once they get below a certain voltage...what would happen if that was disabled (if it could be disabled at all)? Would the inverter only put out fewer volts or would it cause some other trouble?

Comment

Does this happen with the 150w opus DC-DC unit($190.00, it think)

Why would someone pay 190 when they can get a cheap inverter and it will do the same!

whats the difference

thanks
                [M10K][TinyXP][Roadrunner Frontend][OEM Enclosure]
                [iGmon]
                Download MP3 MixTapes

Comment

The Opus supplies (and Sproggys for that matter) do not have this problem.

Comment

Opus is The ****!
                    only problem is the size

http://www.opussolutions.com/150watt.html
                    MVC www.mobiletvsystems.com/
                    Check out the shop if your in the Maryland DC VA Area

2004 Mazda 6s 3.0L
                    Epia Via M-1000 512MB
                    Opus 150W
                    Samsung 80Gb ATA133 7200RPM
                    New XenarcTSV

Comment

all of you are wrong about having a healthy charging system to prevent excessive voltage drop during crank. The alternator doesnt charge the battery during crank. The alternator requires the engine to turn at least 500 RPM in order for it to produce power. Of course the faster the engine turns the more power the alternator puts out. Starter can only turn the engine at around 200RPM give or take 50RPMs. If you look at the charge/battery warning light, the light stays on during crank until the engine has completely started. The voltage drop during crank depends on the age of the starter and the condition of the battery. A dying starter requres more current to turn it therefore more voltage drop. A battery that's been discharged completely several times can only be charged back up to 60-70% of its original capacity. If a battery has 700 CCA when new, it would have 420-490CCA after it's been discharged several timees.
                      NEW complete and updated My project with 100+ pics on 7-4-03
                      If you have a Shuttle FV24 motherboard in perfect working condition for sale, please PM me.

Comment

Originally posted by camsgs3
                        Does this happen with the 150w opus DC-DC unit($190.00, it think)

Why would someone pay 190 when they can get a cheap inverter and it will do the same!

whats the difference

thanks
                        There is a new 90W Opus (not on their site) that is a little cheaper and will power a Mini ITX computer and accesories with no problem. It has the cranking problem fixed as well as it allows the proper shutdown of a Windows OS before shutting off the power supply.

What is the difference? Well, aside from the above 2 items, with a Opus you are just converting the car DC to 12V DC for the computer, whereas with an inverter, you are converting car DC to 110AC then back to the 12V DC inside the computers power supply. This is very inefficient. There is also the point that the Opus uses the cars ignition to start-up (and to shut down obviously) so there is no need for a switch to turn things on/off

Right now, for the money I would say Opus is the only way to fly if you want to do things right for a non-technical person.
                        OrangeWhip? OrangeWhip? 3 OrangeWhips!!
                        www.whipflash.com
                        Finally a new Avatar!

Comment

orangewhip I like your old avatar better

Comment

Originally posted by none
                            orangewhip I like your old avatar better

Hahaha Yeah, I liked it too, but then somebody was copying it, and really, it was just way to disturbing looking at that thing day in day out! hahahaha
                            OrangeWhip? OrangeWhip? 3 OrangeWhips!!
                            www.whipflash.com
                            Finally a new Avatar!

Comment

Originally posted by Hamster O Death
                              Hnrm...I have an Unorthodox underdrive pulley so my alternator tends to charge at lower voltage than normal, eventually resulting in my voltage dropping to around 9 when cranking.

My understanding is that the inverters automatically shut down once they get below a certain voltage...what would happen if that was disabled (if it could be disabled at all)? Would the inverter only put out fewer volts or would it cause some other trouble?
                              The inverter would probably burst in flames. Problem is that when voltage drops, current has to increase to sustain the same output power. And when you allow those currents to rise too far beyond the safe values, nasty things can happen.

white bream
                              working on a trilogy: CARGO - UNIGO - MERGO
                              CARGO = the Car Computer
                              Intel Celeron M, [P]SDC, uBlox GPS, GPRS, WLAN, Silabs FM, RDS, TMC,
                              Dual-audio, Onecable TFT, Microsize: 45 x 108 x 168mm (1.8 x 4.3 x 6.6")

Comment

Working...
                              X