Sound system with MP3 Display on LCD

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Sound system with MP3 Display on LCD

Hey guys, I'm fairly new to this and I need some help from you guys. I did some searching and there is a ton of info here, most stuff that I can't even understand, but there is a lot of good stuff.

What I want to do is mount and LCD in my dash (I will make a custom fiberglass mold) and I want to be able to have all my MP3's and be able to display them on the LCD so I can go through the list and choose which song I wanto to play.

I would like to know what would be involved in this sort of thing, would I need to put a computer together with some program that would be capable of doing this?

What would be the simplest way to do this and least costly. I don't really need anything fancy just something that gets the job done.

So in conclusion, I want to be able to have all my MP3's and be able to view them as a list on my LCD. What should I get?

Thank you all so much!
    Simon

Welcome to the site!

Um...I think...you should get a Car PC!

...is that what you were asking? I'm confused...can you be more specific?
    MP3 MR2 (click here for details)
    Hardware: EPIA M10000, 512Meg Ram, 5.6"TFT, Opus 150watt DC-DC PSU
    Software: Windows 2000, Media Engine 2.0

Comment

Look through the software section and download and try out all the options. Also, try myHTPC and YOU make the choice as to which front end you want to use. You might even try WinAMP v. 5 with a diferent skin and scale it up a bit to fit the screen. As far as finding a cheap setup...Do you have a spare computer? You won't need a ton of power to do what you described. Check out some of the EPIA motherboards or another cheap option is a micro ATX MB with a lower speed AMD CPU.

I think I have pointed you in the right direction. Now go my son and SEARCH and READ 'till you can't take no more!!! Good luck.
      Aura MR62 (F and R)
      My Current MP3s
      IamDefiler.com

Comment

Originally posted by telekineticfool
        Welcome to the site!

Um...I think...you should get a Car PC!

...is that what you were asking? I'm confused...can you be more specific?
        I think that's exactly what I would need. Unless there is a way of connecting an MP3 player (IPod) or something to my HU, and being able to display it on the LCD screen.

To be able to store a large amount of MP3's and be able to play them in my car and have them display on the LCD (Just like Winamp) I guess I would need a harddrive, some software program that would be capable of displaying the Winamp skin on the LCD and I do not know where to go from there.

I really need help in this area, and I did search this forum and there is so much info, just a lot of technical terms and other things that make no sense to me. That's why I'm asking you guys to help me out with this. Thanks!

Comment

Originally posted by Defiler
          Look through the software section and download and try out all the options. Also, try myHTPC and YOU make the choice as to which front end you want to use. You might even try WinAMP v. 5 with a diferent skin and scale it up a bit to fit the screen. As far as finding a cheap setup...Do you have a spare computer? You won't need a ton of power to do what you described. Check out some of the EPIA motherboards or another cheap option is a micro ATX MB with a lower speed AMD CPU.

I think I have pointed you in the right direction. Now go my son and SEARCH and READ 'till you can't take no more!!! Good luck.
          Wow! I looked into myHTPC.com and that got me excited! That is defenitly something I would want, to be bale to store all my MP3's along with movies is too cool, plus there is so much more you could do.

I do have an old machine laying around, but it is old! I think it's something like 233Mhz with an old motherboard and only like an 8 gig hard drive. I don't think that will cut it.

Now, if I wanna go with this myHTPC setup, what sort of components would I need to put it all together. I would need a computer, but would I really need a huge machine in my car like I have at home? Would I need a keyboard and mouse? And would a receiver be even needed if had a computer? Thank you so much!

Comment

Actually, I would defenitly go with the Media Engine over myHTPC, I think it would fit me better.

Comment

Can someone please help me out. I dont know what the big deal is here, but at other forums that I participate in, we share knowledge with each other and try to help each other out as best we can. Here it seems like some people have huge egos and when it comes to helping someone out, it's too big of a deal to them and they don't think newbies or 'wannabes' should be allowed. I don't think that's cool at all, and I think we should all help each other out. If someone came to me with any questions that needed to be answered and I knew the answers, I'd be happy to assist them.

I'm fairly knew to this 'carputer' concept and would really like someone to just help guide me the right way so I can put together a simple carputer. That's all I ask, and is that really too much?

I want a simple machine that will be able to store movies and MP3's. I have a 7" Farenheit TFT LCD and hope that it will be compatible with a carputer, if not, please let me know and I can exchage it for a different model that will work.

I assume I will be needing software and I think I will get the Media Engine. I also have a spare 80 gig hard drive and I need help with the rest of the computer. So if someone could help me and let me know what other components I would need to make this machine work, it would be greatly appreciated! And if I really need to, I will pay someone simply just to help me out and guide me. Thanks again.

Comment

Its not that they people don't want to help you, its that these questions have been answered before. Take a look through the forums and you will find a lot of useful information.

That lcd will work for you fine for mp3's and dvd as long as your computer has tv out. The epia mini-itx boards have this onboard or you can get a video card with tv out. If you wanna get gps then I would go with a vga screen.

PM me if you have any more questions!
                EPIA 800, DWW-7VGA LCD w/Touchscreen, 256mb ram, dvd rom, ati radeon 7000 video card, 80 gb 3.5" hard drive.

Comment

Originally posted by bjm2020
                  Its not that they people don't want to help you, its that these questions have been answered before. Take a look through the forums and you will find a lot of useful information.

That lcd will work for you fine for mp3's and dvd as long as your computer has tv out. The epia mini-itx boards have this onboard or you can get a video card with tv out. If you wanna get gps then I would go with a vga screen.

PM me if you have any more questions!
                  I understand why people would be mad if they heard the question a million times, it's like that in any other forums too. But I don't think it hurts to answer it again. I did search this site and all these things are relatively new and I don't understand all the terminology. And if I did have a lot of time on my hands, then I probably would search by myself and hopefully get all the information but as it is right now, I don't have very much time on my hands and I would like to put a carputer in my car asap since I'm working on it right now. And if someone could help me out, that be greatly appreciated.

But I thank you for your input and the useful information.

Comment

If your only going to disply mp3 lists you might be able to use that LCD screen you have. In order to use it you will need a video card with TV out. that old p233 computer will play mp3's just fine, but i would look for a much smaller case to fit under your seat or in your trunk. as far as contol some people use keyboards, some little usb Infred remotes and some touch screens. Its up to you to decide what works best for you. hope this helps. the rest you should be able to find searching the fourms.
                    -Saturn Vue 2004 - designing phase -

Comment

[QUOTE=Spaceman838]And if I did have a lot of time on my hands, then I probably would search by myself and hopefully get all the information but as it is right now, I don't have very much time on my hands and I would like to put a carputer in my car asap since I'm working on it right now. QUOTE]

We dont have a lot of time on our hands either, Try out mediacar as well as media engine, both great pieces of software and in fact there are more and more pieces of software appearing to try, you just got to try everything and see what suits your needs

EDIT: if you dont have enough time on your hands to search i cant see how you're gonna have enough time to install a carputer
                      Signature: [==||========] 20% complete

Comment

EDIT: if you dont have enough time on your hands to search i cant see how you're gonna have enough time to install a carputer
                        It takes alot more time to go out and search all the information I need, figure out what it is that I would need, where to buy it and so on and so on... I don't have time to search around, I wish I did, but anyhow it's a lot easier and less time consuming to have someone give me a direct answer.

And I don't see how, if I don't have time to search, I wouldn't have time to put this thing together?? You make no sense, as long as I get the information I need, I will be able to put this thing in less time then it would have taken for me to do all the searching on my own and then having to put it together.

So if you don't want to help me that's fine, because there have been other members that have helped me and guided me the right way. So thanks anyway.

Comment

omfg

Comment

Originally posted by Spaceman838
                            It takes alot more time to go out and search all the information I need, figure out what it is that I would need, where to buy it and so on and so on... I don't have time to search around, I wish I did, but anyhow it's a lot easier and less time consuming to have someone give me a direct answer.

And I don't see how, if I don't have time to search, I wouldn't have time to put this thing together?? You make no sense, as long as I get the information I need, I will be able to put this thing in less time then it would have taken for me to do all the searching on my own and then having to put it together.

So if you don't want to help me that's fine, because there have been other members that have helped me and guided me the right way. So thanks anyway.
                            So what exactly do you want from us? You have many replies about what software and hardware you can use. Do you want us to tell you what specific parts to buy? If so, you could scroll down the page on the Newbie main page and see the setup that I am using http://www.mp3car.com/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=20986. I've listed all the components that one could use for a setup. There are many different routes you can go. ATX or ITX motherboards. DC-DC power supplies or DC-AC inverter. I also recommend you read the FAQ's on all the boards. What experience do you have with building your own computer?

Comment

I don't expect anything from you guys. I had some questions and most of them were answered. Thank you. I'm more into car audio and never thought about or even did a carputer before. I've put together a desktop pc at home before and that's the most experience I've had. But I do understand most of the stuff. I was thinking of getting a Shuttle too.

Comment

Working...
                              X