Can this be done?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Can this be done?

I have been trying to find out from other forums if this is possible. I want to have just a touch screen in my dash that will control a radio/cd player HU, ipod, dvd player, xbox and navi. Is this possible andwaht are my options to doing it?

Originally posted by h22lude
    I have been trying to find out from other forums if this is possible. I want to have just a touch screen in my dash that will control a radio/cd player HU, ipod, dvd player, xbox and navi. Is this possible and what are my options to doing it?
    I am thinking of something like the pop out screens where it is basically a device switch. It controls the radio, then you can touch the source button on the screen and it will go through all the inputs. I really don't want a computer in my car and I figured they made something like a pop out screen but have the HU seperate from the touch screen.

Comment

I've never heard of anything even close to that. Why do you want all that stuff but not a carputer? You can cover your Head Unit, DVD player, Ipod, and navigation with a carputer, and some x-box games come out for pc...why spend $3-4g when you could have a carputer do the same thing for $1.5?
      MP3 MR2 (click here for details)
      Hardware: EPIA M10000, 512Meg Ram, 5.6"TFT, Opus 150watt DC-DC PSU
      Software: Windows 2000, Media Engine 2.0

Comment

I don't really want this big computer in my car. I also don't want to use a mouse and/or keyboard. I just want a screen that can control those things. It would be exactly like a pop out HU but the tv is seperate. No OS to deal with.

Comment

Computers don't have to be big. And you don't need a keyboard or mouse.

You need something to display things on the screen. More than likely that is going to have to be a computer.
          Old Systems retired due to new car
          New system at design/prototype stage on BeagleBoard.

Comment

Ummm nothing I've ever heard of... build a small carpc... w/ a mini-itx board and the casetronic c134 case, hide it under your passenger seat and then get a lilliput lcd scree or another lcd w/ a touchscreen. Thats the only way your going to accomplish what you want
            New CarPC on the way again I think. I miss my old one!!!

Comment

So with that setup, I can control the radio/cd player HU, a dvd player, and ipod without using a keyboard or mouse and no windows

I guess I am open to use a computer btu I don't want to have to use a mouse or keyboard and I don't want windows. I want to turn the car on adn the screen lights up with what ever I had on when I turned the car off (like a normal HU). I want to push the button on the screen to jump to anotehr device and never see an OS or use a mouse/keyboard. Is that possible with a carputer?

Comment

You need an OS to use a computer, be it MS-DOS, Windows, Linux, Vx-Works, BeOs, OS2, MacOs, BSD, or whatever. I don't think you can do what you want. How are you going to get an external device to control an ipod for example?
                Old Systems retired due to new car
                New system at design/prototype stage on BeagleBoard.

Comment

Believe me you do want a pc in your car!! I think you should spend some time surfing this site and realizing exactly what is possible with a good compact car pc. I know what your getting at, you dont want it to look like windows and wait for it to boot etc. No one here does, there are ways around these things, and that is what this site is all about. Totaly agree with R3l0ad.

I have been trying to find out from other forums if this is possible. I want to have just a touch screen in my dash that will control a radio/cd player HU, ipod, dvd player, xbox and navi. Is this possible andwaht are my options to doing it?

Comment

I don't want to control the ipod, I would just touch the button on the screen for the ipod so it plays through the HU into the system and control that by itself.

So I would still have to turn the carputer on and wait for it to load up and then it will work or if I put money and time into could I do without that step? How would you control things with a carputer. I know you touch the screen to pick teh device but say you want the radio, you touch the radio and where is the radio, and how do you control it?

Comment

I don't want to control the ipod, I would just touch the button on the screen for the ipod so it plays through the HU into the system and control that by itself.

So I would still have to turn the carputer on and wait for it to load up and then it will work or if I put money and time into could I do without that step? How would you control things with a carputer. I know you touch the screen to pick teh device but say you want the radio, you touch the radio and where is the radio, and how do you control it?
                      ok think of things like this. if you want a screen you need software(os) to operate any hardware. so my opinion is if you really really dont want a carputer take out your head unit see if you can hook your ipod up to it and use a monitor or tv screen for xbox/dvd. all the other functions for radio/ipod cd player will work off of a head unit(if the headunit supports all that). your dvd player will have to run to the same screen your xbox is. i dont know what all hardware you have but id say if you are gettin a dvd player or gettin the kit for your xbox you still need a screen. so just go with the carputer my opinion. boot time can be cut down. search forum. plus you have gps,pc games etc... but if you just want what is cheap just get a screen and see if your head unit will work. check back and see if it has rca jacks (in).

as for the computer controls depends on how you want to set it up. ok its just like the computer you are using now but the screen is touch screen.... that is your mouse....get the hardware you want the software to run it. for radio search forum for what you want either usb or pci fm tuners. how you control your computer is up to you. good luck
                      j
                      oh and if you do go with the carputer you can do away with the head unit.
                      i dont know much so ima just tell you to read and search pm me if you want to know n e thing else ill help ya.
                      I GIVE FREE HUGS!
                      Buy Sell or Trade
                      If my pm box is full, please feel free to call me any time. 440-328-3382
                      Thank you
                      Forex
                      Rate Mp3car @ FXroot.com

Comment

Can you really fit that all into your small lude?
                        SP13000|M2-ATX|512MB DDR400|2.5" 7200RPM S-ATA|Trans-7"|Slim SL DVD-CDRW|KEH 5.1 DSP|SB L!ve Ext|Gyration PowerMate|BT|WiFi|GPS|WinXP|VoomPC
                        GPSing - Digital Speedo
                        Relocating headunit and extending faceplate
                        Button app to Alt-Tab between two programs

Comment

Well I can fit a lot in my lude, I have a pretty big trunk but I am going to buy anotehr car (SUV) and that is what I am planning for.

Comment

well why not just mod the xbox??? it could do all of that if properly equipped and when you want to play a game you can get get out of windows and boot the xbox dashoboard and play the game, pop in a 120GB drive and you could keep all of your games on the xbox's hard drive, along with all of your MP3's and any other software you want. and think the xbox is all that would be neccessary

Comment

You call the ludes trunk big?

I had a two Preludes and the trunks are no where even as big as my WRX's trunk and still this STi trunk is smalland has no fold down seats.
                              SP13000|M2-ATX|512MB DDR400|2.5" 7200RPM S-ATA|Trans-7"|Slim SL DVD-CDRW|KEH 5.1 DSP|SB L!ve Ext|Gyration PowerMate|BT|WiFi|GPS|WinXP|VoomPC
                              GPSing - Digital Speedo
                              Relocating headunit and extending faceplate
                              Button app to Alt-Tab between two programs

Comment

Working...
                              X