Cold's effect on Hard Drive?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Cold's effect on Hard Drive?

I'm glad to read that shock doesnt have much of an effect on a hard drive, especially if some mild preventative measures are taken.

But I live in an area that ranges from sub-frozen temps (it was 5 degrees here a few days ago), but usually has one or two days in the heat wave temps of 105, in the summer - and in a greenhouse effected car.

These extreme temperatures worry me. I guess I can find the operating temperatures at the manufacturer web pages, and could always make the hard drive easiliy removable for days when I know will be a problem.
    Hrm. Those cradles could make it easy, and I could easily transfer data this way - better than wifi even. Okay... I think I'm answering my own question here.

But the question still remains, how do you fare with your hd in extreme temps?

in general heat is more of an issue then the cold.. but people have had problems with extreme cold. I have had a drive spin up fine on a -10 morning. Here is what i'd do if you can do it. Wait for the car to warm up a bit before powering the computer on.
    '98 Explorer Sport
    http://mp3car.zcentric.com (down atm)
    AMD 800mhz 192megs RAM 60gig hard drive 9 inch widescreen VGA
    80% done

Comment

Originally posted by hijinks21
      in general heat is more of an issue then the cold.. but people have had problems with extreme cold. I have had a drive spin up fine on a -10 morning. Here is what i'd do if you can do it. Wait for the car to warm up a bit before powering the computer on.

My comp starts up with my car, I let the car run for about 10 min, and if I have an error when I get to the car, I just hit the restart button and it works great!
      BossTone74

Comment

how about getting a flash-card hard drive as used in the industries? no mechanical parts should have less problems...

I am also worried about this, this winter we had temps as low as -40
        -Mars

Comment

Working...
        X