Budget MP3Truck

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Budget MP3Truck

welp, just gotta receive that tax check and ill be ready to buy some parts for my MP3Truck!

The question i have is for some experts, im on a semi-tight budget, around $700, i dont wanna go over. I did a little research and would like the 7" Lilliput touchscreen. As far as the computer goes tho im still debating. this is all going into a 99' S-10. Id really like some input on what you guys think could be the best build for the remaining amount after i buy my LCD.
    Thanks. and happy modding!
    How in the world would you put the special AirPort card in a PC? Mine is a Mac anyway but it's too old to AirPort. I just use a zip drive to transfer.

What do you have so far? What kind of stereo equipment do you have? Do you have ANY PC parts lying around? What are you looking to do with your car PC? If it's just MP3s you could stay way under your budget. Post some more info and I'm sure you will get an answer you are looking for. Good luck!
    Aura MR62 (F and R)
    My Current MP3s
    IamDefiler.com

Comment

I want the CarPC to run mostly MP3s, and maybe later on i will upgrade to watch dvds, divx, and maybe gps, but the main function is MP3s. I have some stuff laying around, Sound Card, 16mb vid card, PII 266mHz, with 64meg ram, maybe 128 not sure.

thx for the input.
      How in the world would you put the special AirPort card in a PC? Mine is a Mac anyway but it's too old to AirPort. I just use a zip drive to transfer.

Comment

That is sufficient for mp3's and maybe GPS so you could start with it. Do you still have the factory radio, an AUX in adapter can be found for it for something like $99 (google for gm aux in)

Comment

I have a JVC cd player with the Aux in cable already.

Comment

Your set then. At worst case you can even use that old P266 with an inverter to get started (thats how I started) then buy a part at a time and start upgrading from there. But a better p.s. or a mini-itx with 12v dc supply. Build/buy a case, screen whatever order you like. I started with a Celeron 500 with a chopped off keyboard and in invertor. Rigged up a 12v supply then went mini-itx and built a custom case in an overhead console, just changed out a part at a time.

Comment

this may be what I'll do. I could also get a new compaq P4 for around $300 so i might just go the inverter/P4/Lilliput route.

seems like that should do it for me.

Comment

while many of the long time car computing people talk down on invertors (and certainly for good reason) they are a simple and cheap way to get started. Once you get a basic system working then you can decide what you want to add/make better.

Comment

just wanted to say thanks to everyone in the forum and as soon as i get the computer and lcd installed ill be sure to post pictures.

Comment

Working...
                  X