I have a few questions regarding sound output

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I have a few questions regarding sound output

Computer building part is not a problem.

Heres my questions.

How do I output the sound from my PC to the factory speaker locations.

Currently I have a Pioneer Headunit thats bottom of line and its connected via a wiring harness to my factory harness. COnnected to it via RCA ouputs is a 50x2 amp driving one JL 10" subwoofer.

How would I go about doing this. my main concern is how do i let the PC know i have a subwoofer. etc. Would the easiest solution be to get a head unit with RCA INPUTS, or to get rid of the head unit all together and just get a 5 channel amp to run all the speakers.

Originally posted by AzzKicker
    Computer building part is not a problem.

Heres my questions.

How do I output the sound from my PC to the factory speaker locations.

Currently I have a Pioneer Headunit thats bottom of line and its connected via a wiring harness to my factory harness. COnnected to it via RCA ouputs is a 50x2 amp driving one JL 10" subwoofer.

How would I go about doing this. my main concern is how do i let the PC know i have a subwoofer. etc. Would the easiest solution be to get a head unit with RCA INPUTS, or to get rid of the head unit all together and just get a 5 channel amp to run all the speakers.
    Hi,

Well you could do either of them, either way you are going to have to amp the signal generated by the pc - you can't connect speakers directly to the output on the pc. Best bet and most future proof is to get an amp, it will sound better than using a head unit to amp the signal.

You can get the Jl audio E series for under £200

Regards,

John

Comment

lol thats what i didnt want. Cuz If I by a 5 channel amp, i have to wire each individual speaker to eat. Unless I make my own harness to plug into the factory one. Actually that will work.

Comment

get a $50 EQ and a 4 channel amp. The EQ will split your signal coming from the comp into front, rear, and sub ... and allow you to set the crossover freq.

re-wire each speaker and leave the factory clips in tact for when you want to sell it.

you'll thank yourself for re-wiring ... factory wire sucks.
        My JeepPC Install

"there are no stupid questions, just stupid people."

"it's been agreed the whole world stinks so no one's taking showers anymore"

Comment

So getting rid of the HU and using fm modulator and computer cd player is better sound quality then having a HU? That doesn't seem right but I am new to this so...

Comment

Originally posted by h22lude
            So getting rid of the HU and using fm modulator and computer cd player is better sound quality then having a HU? That doesn't seem right but I am new to this so...
            An FM modulator is for if you have a HU that does not have AUX inputs. It goes inline with the antenna and you tune your HU to a low station, usualy in the 88.X range.

Comment

who said anything about an fm modulator? i was saying take the output of your soundcard into the rca in of the eq ... then rcas out to the amp.

fm modulation sucks.
              My JeepPC Install

Comment

How is that better than a HU to play radio and cds?

Comment

going with or without a HU is a matter of preference.

my opinion is it's better to use your carpc for cds and radio ... it's a more complete system that way. plus it opens up more room for mounting your LCD

if you think a HU is better ... great. go for it.
                  My JeepPC Install

Comment

oh ok, it just depends on the user and if they want a normal HU or if they want a full carPC with no other devices

Comment

Most people lose the HU because they have no room left after installing the 7" screen in their dash. I had no room left so I used a small EQ unit and put in the glovebox. I never listen to radio though, so an fm modulator is not needed by me, and all my cd's are ripped to mp3... so I dont need a cd player up front
                      Car: 2000 Audi A4 Avant 1.8t
                      Carputer 2.0: removed. Back to stock.

Comment

fm modulators are never needed for listening to radio ... you're thinking of an fm reciever

fm modulators are used to transmit sound coming from your carpc (or another device) over low power, short range, fm freq so you can then pick it up with your HU
                        My JeepPC Install

Comment

Working...
                        X