To heat sink or not to heat sink ...

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• To heat sink or not to heat sink ...

i have pretty much decided to use a micro-itx case in my car.

I just know there is NO way to fit it under the seat of a camaro .... and dont like shoving things in the glove box. So going with a Celeron seems most logical ... gives u more versatility in the end.

Anyway ... now trying to figure out should i put a heat sink or a heatsink + fan on it? Cause i know the fan i have on my home amd is loud as hell .... any thoughts??? I'd prefer not to ... just so i could cut down on noise.
    1999 Camaro z28
    -- Computer installed :) Phase 1
    -- z28 302hp dynoed :( WAHH!!!!

Originally posted by jnusaira
    i have pretty much decided to use a micro-itx case in my car.

I just know there is NO way to fit it under the seat of a camaro .... and dont like shoving things in the glove box. So going with a Celeron seems most logical ... gives u more versatility in the end.

Anyway ... now trying to figure out should i put a heat sink or a heatsink + fan on it? Cause i know the fan i have on my home amd is loud as hell .... any thoughts??? I'd prefer not to ... just so i could cut down on noise.
    with a celeron you will probably want to, i'm assuming you wont have any fans in the case and therefor poor ventilation. I'm using the stock intel cooler on my celeron 2.4 and It's not noticable at all inside the car.

Comment

Gday,

You might want to check out this site http://www.silentpcreview.com

Currently I'm running an Athlon XP undervolted (to Vcore of 1.1V) and underclocked (to 600MHz) without a fan at all - just heatsink. At the moment here in Australia we're in 30 degree+ heat and it's running just fine at about 45 degrees celsius. Performance is much much better than my old epia m10000 too, and power consumption of the cpu is ~ 15 watts (using AMD's tool). The Epia's is ~ 10 watts.

Depending on what celeron and moterboard you have it should be undervoltable as the athlon is.

Hope everything goes well with it,
      Dave

Comment

Hey thanks thats not a bad idea ... to just undervolt the pc .... can u do that with celerons as well?
        1999 Camaro z28
        -- Computer installed :) Phase 1
        -- z28 302hp dynoed :( WAHH!!!!

Comment

Originally posted by jnusaira
          Hey thanks thats not a bad idea ... to just undervolt the pc .... can u do that with celerons as well?
          You can as long as the motherboard supports it. I've had lots of success with that using MSI motherboards. Some Jetway boards work good too.
          Tidder

Try RevFE
          The best resurrected frontend I've ever used, period.

I Wish I could ban people

Comment

If you can find some Dell, HP, Compaq computer case and yank out those fan. Those are very quiet well not 100% silence but your music is much louder than that. Or you can get a 12V fan and run it at 9V or so.
            with celeron, you definitely need a HS+Fan.
            2004 Matrix XR A7N8X-VM/400 AMD XP-M 2500+, DS-ATX
            89 Supra Turbo P3 [email protected]/Abit BE6 II, Alpine M-BUS Car2PC.
            Y2K Accord Dell GX150
            RoadRunner is the best FE PERIOD
            EmoRebellion is a SCAMMER

Comment

Working...
            X