Laptop Vs permanent in car computer?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Laptop Vs permanent in car computer?

I am new to the carputer and was just wondering people exp. what is perfered. In either case I would have a LCD in dash. However since the laptop is a more rugged solution and can be removed would it not be a better choice? I am just trying to consider options before I jump into this head first.

So which do you prefer....

1. laptop with LCD in dash screen?

2. opus,Mpia board with all the goodies in a custom build glovebox inclosure?

Laptop has its benifits; Performance (compared to Via Boards),Compact size, Less power issues, With some work you can glass the LCD panel into the dash and get a touchscreen to go over with it. Disadvantages are HD space, and a way to use the CD-Rom Drive, Price maybe a concern.

Via Boards, are usually cheap solutions. For an MP3 Player only it may seem suitable. Some will agree that other than MP3/Music, They dont perform well in other aspects. Since im biased against via boards from benchmarking alone, and seen on this forum people replacing the via boards with something with more performance, Ill let some one else fill in anything good about them.

Comment

Good Question

I'm interested in everyones opinion as well. I stumbled across this board a couple of years ago and I halted progress after my truck was broken into for a 5th time!!! At that point I didn't want to give anyone a reason to break into my truck again. Recently though, I have gotten the bug again. I still have 2 - 5" LCD's and I also have a Pentium 3 500MHZ desktop PC with 512MB memory, 40 Gig HD and TV-Tuner card. I also have a Toshiba 7020 Laptop which is a PII 366MHZ, has a built in DVD -decoder board, 192MB RAM, 30Gig HD, and it has it's own docking station. I like the laptop becasue of the extra added security, with being able to remove it and all, but with the desktop, I could probably make the install more stealth-like and all. Which one would you choose?

Comment

Strong Sturdy Laptop Stand

I have been using my laptop in the car for over a year now. In the beginning, I just put the laptop on my passenger seat, but after it fell to the floor, I knew I needed something differerent. I searched Yahoo to find a laptop stand, but I couldn't find any for less than $200, until I found www.mobilelaptopmount.com

For just $25 plus shipping, I got a very strong, sturdy laptop mount. It was easy to install and because it is made from parts you can get at any Home Store, I was able to customize it to the exact size I needed.

I travel a lot for business, so I use my laptop for GPS, Music, and Internet. I could not imagine driving without it now.

Also, as an added extra bonus, I play DVD Movies for the kids on those long weekend drives.

So, if you want to get your laptop off the front seat, this is a great low cost solution.

Tom

Comment

a docked laptop is nice because if you ever find yourself away from your computer you can always just remove it & have a pc with you at any time..... the drawbacks though are since it is removable you may find yourself in a situation that you want/need it but it's not there.... of course this depends on your usage

laptops in general make an awsome carpc in my opinion, whether permanently installed(my preference) or dockable.... permanent laptop installs can actualy be pretty elaborate & can be more work than a more conventional install, or it can be as easy as throwing it under a seat....
          MY NEWEST INSTALL:modded infiniti fx with big screen

first windows carpc install........my liquid cooled LVDS screen :D

Comment

Originally posted by Audio Bandit
            Via Boards, are usually cheap solutions. For an MP3 Player only it may seem suitable. Some will agree that other than MP3/Music, They dont perform well in other aspects. Since im biased against via boards from benchmarking alone, and seen on this forum people replacing the via boards with something with more performance, Ill let some one else fill in anything good about them.

Buddy you have NO idea what you are talking about. Check my sig for what I am running on a VIA board. Also the boards are not cheap if you mean cost wise.

What aspects do they not perform in? Check your Codecs.

Learn before you post.
            2008 350z GT Installed since April 22nd 2011 - Worklog
            2000 Protege Installed Since April 2, 2005 - Intel D201GLY|Fusion Brain|ODBPros ODBII|Engenius|GPS Rikaline|Powermate|Motorized Lilli
            Sound Stage
            Eclipse|MTX|Infinity

Comment

Originally posted by CarToyz
              I have been using my laptop in the car for over a year now. In the beginning, I just put the laptop on my passenger seat, but after it fell to the floor, I knew I needed something differerent. I searched Yahoo to find a laptop stand, but I couldn't find any for less than $200, until I found www.mobilelaptopmount.com

For just $25 plus shipping, I got a very strong, sturdy laptop mount. It was easy to install and because it is made from parts you can get at any Home Store, I was able to customize it to the exact size I needed.

I travel a lot for business, so I use my laptop for GPS, Music, and Internet. I could not imagine driving without it now.

Also, as an added extra bonus, I play DVD Movies for the kids on those long weekend drives.

So, if you want to get your laptop off the front seat, this is a great low cost solution.

Tom

Two posts in six minutes, both touting laptop stands? Don't hawk so hard. As an aside, the ebay link doesn't work. Says "The seller User ID you entered was not found."
              GE Cache Builder | [email protected] |Coolstuff :autospeed.com | bit-tech.net | Nitemax Ultra Pinouts

Comment

I have a laptop now. Thinking about switching to a mini-itx to save room. With the dock, it takes more room than I'd like. In particular, because I'm putting a security vcr in there. For alarms and just recording my driving. Good for clearing up faults in accidents.

Either that or I'll hack up the dock to make it smaller.
                GE Cache Builder | [email protected] |Coolstuff :autospeed.com | bit-tech.net | Nitemax Ultra Pinouts

Comment

via is a little animic & you really need to control your resources & optimize for performance, but is very adiquate for the job....... a pIII 700 is adiquate...... you can do dvd, navigation, mp3 & browsing..... maybe just not at the same time

its ok to want more though.... if your running a sloppy xp setup( I know I am) & want to multitask multimedia & want snappy desktop performance you can say a via is inadiquate, but for most actual in car use it is adiquate...

ps, anyone know how to spell adiquate?

Comment

Originally posted by shotgunefx
                    I have a laptop now. Thinking about switching to a mini-itx to save room. With the dock, it takes more room than I'd like. In particular, because I'm putting a security vcr in there. For alarms and just recording my driving. Good for clearing up faults in accidents.

Either that or I'll hack up the dock to make it smaller.
                    get rid of the dock & remove the screen, it don't get much smaller than that....

Comment

Originally posted by turbocad6
                      get rid of the dock & remove the screen, it don't get much smaller than that....
                      Need the dock. Gives me two PCI slots & SCSI. I want to put a better video card in there.

Comment

yeah, i guess that's gotta be bigger than a mini pc for sure...

most laptop video is ok for anything less than gaming..... the rest could be covered by usb....

if you GOTTA have pci & scsi then you might fit better with a small board/case

Comment

shotgun, what kind of laptop and docking station do you have? I want one with PCI slots, too.
                          iGMon - Integration between iGuidance and Road Runner
                          CFX - Skin for Road Runner

Comment

Originally posted by b8bboi
                            shotgun, what kind of laptop and docking station do you have? I want one with PCI slots, too.
                            I've got a Dell Latitude CPTv 500mhz and the dock model is listed as PDX.

Comment

Originally posted by turbocad6
                              yeah, i guess that's gotta be bigger than a mini pc for sure...

most laptop video is ok for anything less than gaming..... the rest could be covered by usb....

if you GOTTA have pci & scsi then you might fit better with a small board/case
                              Yeah, problem with adding a USB card is it gives you an error as you can't disable builtin 1.0. Not a big deal, just F1 to boot.

I just got a PCMCIA USB 2 controller and no longer have this problem. To epias wake up that quick? My laptop only takes a second.

As far as video, it's adequate so far, I want to find one that is faster though and can support transparency under SDL.

I suppose I could cut the dock in half and fold it in on itself. That would make it much smaller.

Comment

Working...
                              X