Carputer vs. regular HU

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Carputer vs. regular HU

Not trying to discourage anyone, because I'm a newbie I am still debating whether or not to build one of these carPCs or carputers. My main beef is that booting up process seems cumbersome if my only purpose is to listen to tunes on the way to the grocery... I'd be there before the OS initializes! Of course, there is hibernation and it's what I would do, but I know that there will be required reboots. I have some HUs in mind that would play mp3s and whatnot (no booting too). What do you think is the difference between the shelf bought multimedia centers with built in lcd and the carputer as far as hardware/software integration? I mean is all the software that drives the aftermarket HUs written from the ground up and small enough to be embedded in onbaord memory? Anybody ever taken one of these things apart to see what components are in there?...

i dont know about the second part of your question, but to answer the first:

people on this board are interested, for the most part, in a carputer being able to do what they want. If all you want is to listen to tunes, on your way to the store, save your time and money and get an iPod or a HU that plays MP3 CDs, or even an MP3 CD changer (i thinnk there is one in the FS/Wanted section)....

but if you want to be able to watch DVDs/Divxs while you are waiting at the store for someone or perhaps for your passenger (an impatient child???) on long trips, to be able to do GPS, to record and log data with OBDII/VAG type system, to get the internet in your car, and to control it all from a touch screen, THEN you should build a carputer.

Im not discouraging building a simple unit, but if you are concerned about boot time for "just music", then you should look for a solution which requires no boot time. You will just sacrafice all teh things that come with running an OS instead of a HU.

I know sony makes a HU w/a hard drive built in.....maybe something worth looking into.

Just my $.02
    Cheap Laptop, great for Carputer!

Comment

jusatry, i apreciate your honesty. One of my buddies suggested the ipod idea and it's completely viable for what I need, but I'm keeping my mind open to the possiblities of a computer in my car.

What do you see in the future for carputer software? Is there any software that would only be useful on the road?...besides navigation of course.

Comment

Originally posted by ecolner
        jusatry, i apreciate your honesty. One of my buddies suggested the ipod idea and it's completely viable for what I need, but I'm keeping my mind open to the possiblities of a computer in my car.

What do you see in the future for carputer software? Is there any software that would only be useful on the road?...besides navigation of course.

besides navigation and traffic information, i would think that anything else would become a distraction/hazard to the driver.
        [ 5-spd 1996 M A X i M A SE ]

Comment

my $.02

a carputer is not something you need is something you want ....for me is not somethiing that i need but the first time i saw someone with one... i was so amase that i said..."***** i want me one"
          everything is not for everyone...
          but than again...this is just me!
          98.8 complete
          95 chevy blazer s10

Comment

I wish someone I know already had one, but I would be the first person I know to ever think of doing it. Who's in socal? =)

Comment

Has anyone ever experimented with HU modulation. It would be cool if a carputer touchscreen had an overlay of a standard Alpine, Clarion, etc that would operate the same way as the popular brands. What do you guys think?

Comment

Maybe I ought to place this one in the software thread...

Comment

I wish someone I know already had one, but I would be the first person I know to ever think of doing it. Who's in socal? =)
                  right here

hehehe

meet coming up soon, but if your local enough you can have a peek

"The OC"

Comment

boraXP, do you have the details?

Comment

im in socal also and really need to see someones setup before i get started and that meet at the frys in burbank will definitely give me a good idea, but i wouldnt mind taking a quick peek before that either.

Comment

boraXP, do you have the details?
                        the details?

Comment

Originally posted by BoraXP
                          the details?
                          oh no not that
                          i havent made a headunit a touch screen, but i think someone has
                          i cant remember who
                          but im pretty sure ive seen it

i was saying i was in socal

Comment

There are Winamp Skins based on car stereo head units, I'm fairly sure this would be similar to what you are talking about. I for one, am not someone who enjoys logos all over everything, on the other hand I do like name brands. So I won't be putting a Pioneer skin on my computer any time soon.
                            http://www.arizonasportcompacts.com

Comment

Working...
                            X