Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

A few newbie questions ( heat issues etc.. )

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • A few newbie questions ( heat issues etc.. )

    Hey everyone ,

    Still very newbie here, and finishing up the planning and designing phase of my setup. got a few questions that I was hoping could be anwsered by the mosre experienced here.

    1. I live in SW FL where it can get downright hot in my car. I am concerned that My hardware (lilliput included ) wont survive the tempatures from being left in the car during the day. Does anyone have any experiences with the extreme heat of these tropical climates?

    2. I drive a 2001 Mustang with the 460 sound system , has anyone had any luck in hooking up their system to this sound system ?

    3. I am assuming that I am goign to have to make a custom enclosure for the truck to get everyone looking good , I have seen a few links on fiberglass fabracation but does anyone have any links to making these custom boxes with wood etc?

    Thanks for any help that anyone can offer,

    Scorpnstail

  • #2
    Your hardware should survive as long as you don't leave it in DIRECT sunlight, there may be some issues with booting while hot, but it will certainly survive being off while hot.

    For custom box ideas, surf on over to www.mini-itx.com I've seen "boxes" made of that spray foam insulation junk that hardens after so long, so wood should be pretty straight forward. I'm wondering wouldn't wood warp in that humid air you have?
    http://www.arizonasportcompacts.com

    Comment


    • #3
      Originally posted by Cherub211
      Your hardware should survive as long as you don't leave it in DIRECT sunlight, there may be some issues with booting while hot, but it will certainly survive being off while hot.

      For custom box ideas, surf on over to www.mini-itx.com I've seen "boxes" made of that spray foam insulation junk that hardens after so long, so wood should be pretty straight forward. I'm wondering wouldn't wood warp in that humid air you have?
      I was not considering that the Humidity down here and the heat would cause the wood to warp , thanks for bringing that up .. I have put a little bit of thought into it and and thinking ABS may be a good solution for a custom box ( either in the din or in the trunk area ) although I do not know the qualities of ABS and how heat resistant etc it can be.

      Comment


      • #4
        I didn't do any hunting for prices, but you can use this or something like it to interface with your factory system. These have been around for years and when I was an installer I has used many of them and they work great. No noise or anything.

        http://www.crutchfield.com/cgi-bin/P...sp?I=142C4FDK5
        7" Lilli TS, Soyo K7VME, Semperon 2200, 160GB Maxtor, 512mb PC3200, Deluo GPS, Panasonic Slim DVD/CD RW, Linksys WMP545G , Opus 150w, XMDirect, XP Pro, FP, IG [XXXXXXXXX-] 90%
        ATVMS.com

        Comment


        • #5
          Originally posted by sfay93
          I didn't do any hunting for prices, but you can use this or something like it to interface with your factory system. These have been around for years and when I was an installer I has used many of them and they work great. No noise or anything.

          http://www.crutchfield.com/cgi-bin/P...sp?I=142C4FDK5
          How would I go about using one of these ? I really do not have alot of knowledge when it comes to car audio so i am trying to learn what I can.

          Thanks

          Scorpnstail

          Comment


          • #6
            I don't know how to use one of those, but rest assured Crutchfield would send you a detailed instruction sheet if you bought one. That's one thing they are good for. I would suggest the FM modulator found at www.digitalww.com because it simply fits inbetween your FM antenna and your reciever. That's the simplest way in my opinion.
            http://www.arizonasportcompacts.com

            Comment


            • #7
              I should have asked, do you plan on replacing your factory stereo or using it with the carputer? Will make a big difference. And if you are keeping the factory head unit, does it have cd changer controls?
              7" Lilli TS, Soyo K7VME, Semperon 2200, 160GB Maxtor, 512mb PC3200, Deluo GPS, Panasonic Slim DVD/CD RW, Linksys WMP545G , Opus 150w, XMDirect, XP Pro, FP, IG [XXXXXXXXX-] 90%
              ATVMS.com

              Comment


              • #8
                If you plan on keeping the factory stereo, you need this:

                http://www.pie.net/frdn_aux_inst.htm

                You will still be able to use your factory changer if you have one too.

                And yes Cherub is right, the FM modulator will work and will be pretty easy but this will sound much better and is very simple to do as well. No splicing wires or anything. It is all "plug and play"

                Oops, forgot the link to it:

                http://www.logjamelectronics.com/piefrdnaux.html
                7" Lilli TS, Soyo K7VME, Semperon 2200, 160GB Maxtor, 512mb PC3200, Deluo GPS, Panasonic Slim DVD/CD RW, Linksys WMP545G , Opus 150w, XMDirect, XP Pro, FP, IG [XXXXXXXXX-] 90%
                ATVMS.com

                Comment


                • #9
                  Originally posted by sfay93
                  I should have asked, do you plan on replacing your factory stereo or using it with the carputer? Will make a big difference. And if you are keeping the factory head unit, does it have cd changer controls?
                  I think for sound quality the best bet would be to remove the stock stereo ( it is the mach 460 in dash 6 cd changer) and try to go pc .. amp ... 460 sound system

                  I dont know if I would be able to use the stock amps or not (there are 2 in the trunk) .. the only other thing I would like to put on this is a small bass tube (very small like 6"). if I am going to be unable to use them does anyone have any suggestions on a amp to get?

                  Comment


                  • #10
                    I would keep the factory head unit and the factory amps if you are worried about sound quality. Then use the piece I mentioned in the above post to interface with it. I have never had or heard of anyone having any good luck interfacing directly with the factory amps.

                    When you are ready to add your sub, just use one of these tapped into your rear speakers to get signal to your amp for the sub:

                    http://www.crutchfield.com/S-RcN1tcZ...i=101PL2&g=721

                    This would be by far your easiest solution in my opinion.
                    7" Lilli TS, Soyo K7VME, Semperon 2200, 160GB Maxtor, 512mb PC3200, Deluo GPS, Panasonic Slim DVD/CD RW, Linksys WMP545G , Opus 150w, XMDirect, XP Pro, FP, IG [XXXXXXXXX-] 90%
                    ATVMS.com

                    Comment


                    • #11
                      Originally posted by sfay93
                      I would keep the factory head unit and the factory amps if you are worried about sound quality. Then use the piece I mentioned in the above post to interface with it. I have never had or heard of anyone having any good luck interfacing directly with the factory amps.

                      When you are ready to add your sub, just use one of these tapped into your rear speakers to get signal to your amp for the sub:

                      http://www.crutchfield.com/S-RcN1tcZ...i=101PL2&g=721

                      This would be by far your easiest solution in my opinion.
                      Thank you for the great replies to this thread , this has helped me out immensly in trying to finish up the plans for the audio .. I am going to be looking into getting those pieces you suggested.

                      Just to make sure I understand.. what i need to do is :
                      use http://www.crutchfield.com/cgi-bin/...asp?I=142C4FDK5
                      to hook into the headunit and into the pc.

                      then use http://www.crutchfield.com/S-RcN1tc...&i=101PL2&g=721
                      to tap into the rear speakers to attach the sub to the factory amps.

                      am I correct?

                      Comment


                      • #12
                        This for hooking into the head unit if you plan on keeping the factory:
                        http://www.logjamelectronics.com/piefrdnaux.html
                        and the instructions:
                        http://www.pie.net/frdn_aux_inst.htm
                        and then this for the amp to the subs:
                        http://www.crutchfield.com/S-RcN1tc...&i=101PL2&g=721
                        7" Lilli TS, Soyo K7VME, Semperon 2200, 160GB Maxtor, 512mb PC3200, Deluo GPS, Panasonic Slim DVD/CD RW, Linksys WMP545G , Opus 150w, XMDirect, XP Pro, FP, IG [XXXXXXXXX-] 90%
                        ATVMS.com

                        Comment


                        • #13
                          Originally posted by sfay93
                          This for hooking into the head unit if you plan on keeping the factory:
                          http://www.logjamelectronics.com/piefrdnaux.html
                          and the instructions:
                          http://www.pie.net/frdn_aux_inst.htm
                          and then this for the amp to the subs:
                          http://www.crutchfield.com/S-RcN1tc...&i=101PL2&g=721
                          Thank you again , this is perfect

                          Scorpnstail

                          Comment


                          • #14
                            Just be sure to buy a well-ventilated enclosure. That will help during the hot days.

                            Comment

                            Working...
                            X