Fiberglass Basics...

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Fiberglass Basics...

I know there are numerous threads on Fiberglassing here but so far I have been unable to find a basic guide to it. I would like to know what I need and what each part is for. Specifically for dashboard fabrication. Thanks
    2003 Subaru Impreza TS
    Staus: Done.. too lazy to make pictures lol.

i'm no expert ... so i may be wrong with some of this but ...

What you need:
    - Fiberglass (sheet, mat, or goop)
    - fiberglass resin
    - filler (most people around here use bondo, but there are others)
    - lots of sand paper, different grits
    - a dremel is helpful

The basic idea is the fiberglass provides the basic shape and the strength. Then the bondo, or other filler, makes it smooth.

There's two basic fiberglassing tecniques (sp) that I know of. The first is using resin and a fiberglass mat. You spread the resin, lay the mat down, and resin on top of the mat. The mat will harden and you can sand away.

The second is using what i call goop. It's the fiberglass in a can stuff ... from what I know of this you have a can of resin and a bag (or can) of fiberglass shavings. You mix the two together and spread it on with a paintbrush. (someone correct me if i'm wrong) ... from what I understand this is used on larger areas ... people build a frame for what they're glassing, stretch fleece (or some other fabric) over the frame, and then paint the goop on.

bondo also makes some filler with fiberglass in it too.

in either case, after the glass is done you use bondo to smooth it all out. This consists of spreading the bondo, letting it dry ... sanding ... sanding ... sanding ... sanding some more ... then more bondo ... then sanding ... (you get the idea) ... until it's smooth.

really the best way to learn is to buy some stuff and practice on some scrap wood or something.

hth
    My JeepPC Install

"there are no stupid questions, just stupid people."

"it's been agreed the whole world stinks so no one's taking showers anymore"

Comment

use rubber gloves and when you are sanding.. use a good mask.
      '98 Explorer Sport
      http://mp3car.zcentric.com (down atm)
      AMD 800mhz 192megs RAM 60gig hard drive 9 inch widescreen VGA
      80% done

Comment

Well I have the original bezel from the area i want to make a new one and what I need can be almost identical with a few changes. How would I make a good copy of it? Also the fiberglass has to fit AROUND the AC/heater controls.
        2003 Subaru Impreza TS
        Staus: Done.. too lazy to make pictures lol.

Comment

Making a copy of it would be a chore. Go to a junk yard or something and get a used one to hack up.
          http://www.arizonasportcompacts.com

Comment

yeah, go to the junkyard or dealer and buy a spare.

as for the fiberglass fitting around the controls ... you can bend and shape it however you want before you resin ... so just plan accordingly.

also look through the show off your project forum here. A lot of guys have pictures of their fiberglassing process ... it helps a lot.
            My JeepPC Install

"there are no stupid questions, just stupid people."

"it's been agreed the whole world stinks so no one's taking showers anymore"

Comment

Originally posted by Maeveth
              I know there are numerous threads on Fiberglassing here but so far I have been unable to find a basic guide to it. I would like to know what I need and what each part is for. Specifically for dashboard fabrication. Thanks
              i dont know if you did... but read through this thread. http://www.mp3car.com/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=14036
              there are a couple links in there that show the process

~mike
              Single Member of the "1000 Post and No MP3 Car" Club
              PROJECT ON INDEFINATE HOLD... BOUGHT A HOUSE
              2000 Cavalier Z24 [###-------] Only 30% Done ... Still

Comment

Working...
              X