very new need help to know what i need to start

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• very new need help to know what i need to start

I have an older computer lying around, and I was very interested in turning it into a carputer. I will tell you what I have to use, and I would really appreciate your input on what i would need to make this work including power supply info and such. I would also like to find out some ideas on how to build a custom case as the one i have is way to big for me to put into my car.(also if anyone knows someone who would build it, I could pay them) Ok I have a basic Amptron motherboard, with a AMD Duron 800mhz processor, 256mb pc133 ram, dvd rom drive, and a 30 gb hd. The motherboard has onboard video and sound, I just want the carputer for navigation, and mp3 playback as well as playing dvds. ANy help would be very appreciated. Thank you.
    What kind of rice is in my kitty's litterbox today???

Man, pretty much what it's gonna depend on first, is how much money do you have/willing to spend on this? Then from there, better recommendations can be made. Otherwise, everyone is gonna tell you the most expensive, wish they had kind of stuff. Also, I do have a friend that is a genious with fiberglass, and custom car stereo stuff. Could probably build you an awesome looking case. If you want I can send you pics of what he did with my dash, and other pics of some freakin' awesome stuff.
    Tidder

Try RevFE
    The best resurrected frontend I've ever used, period.

I Wish I could ban people

Comment

well I figured I can use the existing computer (just need some kind of case), but from reading on here i guess i need a special power supply to make it work in the car, basiclly the computer is already to go, I just need to know how to make it work in the car so it shuts off and everything, and some ideas on a case solution. I was just going to hook the computer up to na inverter, but I thougt the computer would never shut off properly.
      What kind of rice is in my kitty's litterbox today???

Comment

special power supply nothin. I use an inverter and have a relay that shuts it off if my computer shuts down. There's always a way.
        Tidder

Try RevFE
        The best resurrected frontend I've ever used, period.

I Wish I could ban people

Comment

you can use an opus 150 watt dc-dc, but it probably doesn't have enough juice for your AMD processor, it is more tuned towards low power and efficient small-footprint systems like the Mini-itx based ones. An invertor will work fine, it is a technically feasible, albiet less graceful, solution to the power problem.
          MP3 MR2 (click here for details)
          Hardware: EPIA M10000, 512Meg Ram, 5.6"TFT, Opus 150watt DC-DC PSU
          Software: Windows 2000, Media Engine 2.0

Comment

Working...
          X