Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Carputer/Headunit All In One Setup: Is it Possible?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Carputer/Headunit All In One Setup: Is it Possible?

Hey everyone, I'm new to the MP3car forum. I'm really interested in installing a carputer along with a TFT VGA touchscreen like the lilliput or xenarc ones.

I also want to be able to listen to the radio, listen to MP3s, watch DVDs and set up GPS Navigation.

I also want to do this without having to use an additional headunit which would be set to the auxillary port input the whole time.

I've heard that you can run RCA audio jacks from the stereo output of the Carputer straight into the car's amplifier.
    Would this reduce the sound quality?

Also, could I somehow still listen to the radio using a radio tuner card in the carputer? If so, how could I connect my car's antenna to the carputer so that I'd get good reception?

I have a 96 BMW M3 and I'm considering relocating my climate controls so that I could have a double DIN sized hole for the touchscreen, mounting the carputer in the glove box, possibly one like this: carputer
    and then using a stereo jack to dual RCA connectors into the amp.

Let me know what you guys think. Give me any suggestions you have about setup, products, DIY vs. buying a prebuilt one like the on in my link, connections, etc.

Thanks!

Kyle

I don't recomend that particular carputer, but it would work.

*All* of your questions are answered specifically in the Newbie FAQ sticky in this forum (believe me, they really are frequently asked)...read it, and then come back and repost any new questions...we'll be happy to clarify the finer points.

Edited in short answers: You won't lose any sound quality, your setup sounds good, i recomend you build the computer yourself.
    MP3 MR2 (click here for details)
    Hardware: EPIA M10000, 512Meg Ram, 5.6"TFT, Opus 150watt DC-DC PSU
    Software: Windows 2000, Media Engine 2.0

Comment

Originally posted by telekineticfool
      I don't recomend that particular carputer, but it would work.

*All* of your questions are answered specifically in the Newbie FAQ sticky in this forum (believe me, they really are frequently asked)...read it, and then come back and repost any new questions...we'll be happy to clarify the finer points.

Edited in short answers: You won't lose any sound quality, your setup sounds good, i recomend you build the computer yourself.
      I just read the entire FAQ thread that is stickied in the newbie forum here: http://www.mp3car.com/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=16913

It doesn't really talk about using the carputer as the head unit for the entire car. What it does talk about is power supplies and carputers themselves but not really the whole set up aspect of it.

If you know of any threads out there that address this issue specifically I would really appreciate it.

Thanks for the quick reply by the way. This seems like it will be a really helpful forum in the future. I'll probably spend some time just browsing around and seeing what I learn if I don't get any solid responses in this thread.

edit: I saw your post about the stereo jack to RCA plugs reply in the FAQ, my main question I think would be about listening to the radio and having an acceptable User Interface on my carputer in order to use it with the touch screen.

Thanks again,
      Kyle

Comment

You can by FM radio cards for your pc...Media Engine (and i'm sure media car etc also, but I use ME) actually has built-in interface integrated into it to control a radio card. A common (although unliked, for some reason) one is D-link USB radio....there are others. Do a search for FM and see what turns up.

http://www.mp3car.com/vbulletin/show...6&highlight=fm
        http://www.mp3car.com/vbulletin/show...3&highlight=fm
        http://www.mp3car.com/vbulletin/show...3&highlight=fm
        http://www.mp3car.com/vbulletin/show...8&highlight=fm

etc
        MP3 MR2 (click here for details)
        Hardware: EPIA M10000, 512Meg Ram, 5.6"TFT, Opus 150watt DC-DC PSU
        Software: Windows 2000, Media Engine 2.0

Comment

Originally posted by 96infmsM3
          It doesn't really talk about using the carputer as the head unit for the entire car.
          That's actually not all that uncommon. I think your verbage maybe limiting your results. Most people refer to a system such as that as being headless. In other words, a system with no head unit at all. You have to come up with creative ways to control volume (since the preamp in the HU is gone) and if you want anything besides mp3 music (EG cd-player, am radio, and so on).

Just remember it's not going to happen in a day so spend most of your time reading everything.

Comment

Working...
          X