Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Need some suggestions!

Hello alll!

I have already spent the majority of the day here searcing and reading the forums looking for ideas. I have narrowed my carputer down to a few select hardware pieces but still have questions about others I may need.

So far I will be getting..

Travla C137 Mini-ATX case
    VIA M10000 Mobo -- 1 Ghz
    256 MB DDR RAM
    Lilliput 7" widescreen LCD VGA
    80 GB HDD

I just have a few questions on the other parts I will need.

First, I will need some sort of DVD/CD-RW drive. This mainly depends on where the case will go. If I can get the case to fit underneath the passenger seat, then the drive can go internal. However, if it can't and needs to go in the trunk, then I will need something external since I would want the drive somewhere up front with me.

Second, Since I will be bypassing the factory headunit and just going straight into the amps and speakers, I will also need some sort of FM tuner. I still listen to the tuner every now and then and would still like that functionality with the new carputer. I have seen the D-Link model mentioned, but have seen not so good reviews.. and the antenna looks terrible! Any other suggestions?

Third, As I mentioned above I will go into my car amps for sound instead of the factory headunit. I have heard a lot of things about noise entering the system.. alternator whine and other noise. I guess the best way around this was to go through USB. The most recommended one that I saw was the USB Audigy 2 NX... Are there any others that can be recommended?

Lastly, I will also be replacing my current Pioneer navigation system with one that my carputer can use. Any recommendations there as well?

EDIT -- Ok, I lied.. that wasn't the last part. Does anyone know if that board can also support a wireless card along with all the other stuff I am looking to add? Thanks!

I guess that is it for now... I have been pricing along with reading and it seems that the final price for parts is ~$1100. Not to shabby for the results that you can get once finished with it. Is that too much, too little? Like I said.. I am new here and just getting started

Thanks!

Well when you say will the board support a wireless card im assuming you mean an internal one? Remember now that the board only has one pci slot so choose your one card wisely.

As for the fm tuner, there was a small discussion on tv/fm cards recently here: http://www.mp3car.com/vbulletin/show...3&page=1&pp=15
    Vehicle: 2003 Mistubishi Evolution
    PC Specs: 1gHz Nehemiah M10000
    512mb RAM
    Windows XP Professional
    80gb 7200rpm 8mb cache HDD
    UI: MediaEngine 2.1

Comment

Originally posted by supralightning
      Well when you say will the board support a wireless card im assuming you mean an internal one? Remember now that the board only has one pci slot so choose your one card wisely.

As for the fm tuner, there was a small discussion on tv/fm cards recently here: http://www.mp3car.com/vbulletin/show...3&page=1&pp=15
      I guess I don't have to have it internal.. It can be external. Just need to decide what I want internal and the others I want external. Any ideas for why I would want once card internal and others not?

Comment

If you're using a mini-ATX case anyway, my suggestion would be to go with a mini-ATX MB such as a shuttle and Pentium 2.4 or 2.8 processor. It's much faster and just as cheap as a VIA M10000.

For TV and FM, I got the Compro Videomate Gold from newegg, which is a PCI TV/FM tuner.

Also using this MB, you could also use an AGP video card.

Unless you want a high db wi-fi receiver, I just got one of those usb wi-fi receivers and used a usb extension. Got that for free from ecost after rebate.

Comment

How does that compro do? Would you say its much better than say the winfast or happauge? considering its more expensive (if i remember correctly).

-EVOXTC
          Vehicle: 2003 Mistubishi Evolution
          PC Specs: 1gHz Nehemiah M10000
          512mb RAM
          Windows XP Professional
          80gb 7200rpm 8mb cache HDD
          UI: MediaEngine 2.1

Comment

Originally posted by supralightning
            How does that compro do? Would you say its much better than say the winfast or happauge? considering its more expensive (if i remember correctly).

-EVOXTC
            It's more expensive, but also has an FM tuner. It was only like $66. I don't have my carputer installed yet, but inside it seems to do fine with both tv and fm.

Comment

Working...
            X