Installation costs

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Installation costs

I was wondering if anybody knows how much it would cost to have everything installed professionally. I can build the computer and all of that on my own. When it comes time to put it in the car I donít want there to be wires everywhere and a computer sitting shotgun next to me.

I plan on mounting my LCD with the stand and I can do that myself so I am basically just curious about the wiring costs.

Next step is 2 TVís in the headrest. Does anybody know if I can have the same signal that is going to my touch screen up front? Would it just take some RCA splitters and have the signal split to the other TVs? I can get the TVs cheap off ebay, anybody know the cost of just the install on these?

I know price is going to have a big range, Iím just looking for a ballpark before I get in to deep in this project.

Just take a saturday and do it yourself...it isn't even close to being hard. Just takes patience. Mounting the screen would be the only thing I'd consider getting done professionally, and you've already decided to do that yourself. Where do you live and what kind of car do you drive?

To answer your question, depending on what you want done and who you're doing it through, you are probably looking at between 10 and 20 hours of labor at between $30 and $60 an hour plus parts. So...$300 low end and $2400 high? These are just pulled out of thin air but probably give you a range that I'd be surprised if you exceeded. My guess is right around a thousand.
    MP3 MR2 (click here for details)
    Hardware: EPIA M10000, 512Meg Ram, 5.6"TFT, Opus 150watt DC-DC PSU
    Software: Windows 2000, Media Engine 2.0

Comment

Thanks for the reply. I live in Knoxville, TN and have a Navigator. How hard is it to pull up the carpet and pull the head unit ot of the dash. I have done it with an older car with an aftermarket head unit. I drive a nicer car now so I don't really want to mess anything up. Do you recommend running a wire directly from my car battery to poower my OPUS or do you think I can pull from another source.

Comment

Originally posted by Navigator_82
        Thanks for the reply. I live in Knoxville, TN and have a Navigator. How hard is it to pull up the carpet and pull the head unit ot of the dash. I have done it with an older car with an aftermarket head unit. I drive a nicer car now so I don't really want to mess anything up. Do you recommend running a wire directly from my car battery to poower my OPUS or do you think I can pull from another source.

I say just go from the battery. It isn't that hard, you only need to run the hot wire cuz you can ground it to any bolt on the chassis...just be sure to put some kind of an inline fuse close to the battery.

I had never done much wiring or any audio installation, and it took me about 20 hours to go from component parts on my desk, to drilling out the case and mounting the components, to having it in the car booted up after rewiring my front speakers (unrelated reasons to carcomp). This doesn't include time machining and mounting my screen, which you already know how to do your equivalent of.

I say go for it. If you want to be sure you can tackle it, just go out when you have an hour or two and start taking apart your dash. The door sills should just pull straight up with clips, and then it is easy to get under the carpet.

Good luck!

Comment

Thanks for the advice...This is going to save me a lot of money! Is there a hole already in the firewall or do I need to drill a hole in the firewall to run my wire through? Thanks!

Comment

If you can get your hands on a service manual for your car it'll tell you how to pull your panels off. It's very easy.
            Mine needs to be updated.

Comment

Originally posted by Navigator_82
              Thanks for the advice...This is going to save me a lot of money! Is there a hole already in the firewall or do I need to drill a hole in the firewall to run my wire through? Thanks!
              Like i said on AIM, but for the benefit of lurkers, you will be able to find gaskets in your firewall that stock wiring goes through...just slit those with a razor to pass your wires back and forth.

Comment

Working...
              X