• Show
Clear All

• Laptop OR Desktop?

Still getting ideas how to build a carpc

what have most people used?
    what do people think is better

and for the output to the screen

who uses a screen with RGB in?
    and who has a screen with just video in? do u have a video card on the pc?
    View My Blog

Click for 2GB FREE on-line storage!

Originally posted by djmickyg
    Still getting ideas how to build a carpc

what have most people used?
    what do people think is better

and for the output to the screen

who uses a screen with RGB in?
    and who has a screen with just video in? do u have a video card on the pc?
    people are using all different stuff, but you'll find the most discussion on these boards about

opus for power

via epia for a board

lilliput or xenarc for display

ing for those will get you started on the hardware issues

Comment

But if you find a laptop with broken screen you got yourself a complete pc right there
      -
      My cars
      -

Comment

I got myself an "Integrated Multimedia Display Module" from civicduties here on the board - its the equivalent of a laptop with a touch screen - only need is to power it with a DC-DC converter and has ennough power for MP3 playback... all for less then 200$

a laptop can do the trick, if you want custom you get pricey.

as mentionned, the ideal solution seams to go Opus PSU, mini-Itx board with 6 channel onboard audio and lilliput 7 inch screen that fits 2 DIN in your car.
        -Mars

Comment

as many solutions as questions... read up then ask detailed questions.
          TruckinMP3
          D201GLY2, DC-DC power, 3.5 inch SATA

Yes, you should search... and Yes, It has been covered before!

Read the FAQ!

Comment

sorry all.. i know it was a very general question but i just wanted to know which way to start recerching..

but its looks like there is no favourite
            View My Blog

Comment

I think the first question I needed to answer myself was am I going headunit or headunit less, the latter using amps to power the speakers, the headunit needing a aux unit to enable the comp's audio to be plugged in. I decided on headunit for several reasons.. but as for laptop or pc.. well all depends on your set up. What stuff you have already. The GPS I wanted to use was serial, so that needed a serial port, and some ibm laptops fail to have these on. The one thing I thought the laptop had over the pc was that its already got a good power system installed, as in you can set it to turn itself off after 10 mins from running on batterys.. you would need however to wire some way to turn it on, maybe a relay powered by your ignition or something.. I still might go down this route. Is the laptop going to be a perm install, or would you be wanting it to take it with you.. if so maybe a docking station would suit better, Dell docking stations also have power buttons on them, so you wouldnt need to open the laptop, just the docking station to mess about with the on button. Everything is already included in a laptop, and there small. I would prob get a incar charger for it, that would solve any power issues, try www.battery.co.uk for these. Also hibernation becomes a possibility, > 10 sec's start up time. A laptop can go for a week or so in hibernation no probs :-) I think I will look into this when I have a sec, as I'm fed up of waiting 30 secs for mine to boot.
              Follow me on Twitter

http://www.FreeICE.co.uk

Comment

thats why i like the laptop. its got all the power issues sorted.. and like u said u can have it boot up when the ignition is on and when the ignition is off if can boot down on its own after a say a minut using the batery power.. and next time u start the car the batery will charge right up agian..

the only downside is the ability to add more hardware..
                i will only want mine to play mp3s and video's.. i dont think i will get gps or anything else.. so i dont see this as a problem..
                View My Blog

Comment

I have being thinking using my old notebook for this purpose as well.. but I can not figure out how can I power up the notebook when I start ignition?

as expansion.. as long as there is USB.. there are tons of ways of adding new things..

Comment

To get my laptop to power up when I started my car, I opened it up, found the jumper on the motherboard that the power switch was connected to, then hooked a DPDT relay up to it and the cars ACC. The good thing about laptops too is that they can detect when they go on battery power and then shutdown automatically. The bad thing is that I had to get a new car to upgrade the carputer cause installing a laptop in a big hole cutout in the dash is alot harder to upgrade.

Originally posted by brex
                    I have being thinking using my old notebook for this purpose as well.. but I can not figure out how can I power up the notebook when I start ignition?

as expansion.. as long as there is USB.. there are tons of ways of adding new things..
                    StreetDeck.com Developer (I am Chuck)
                    Get StreetDeck at http://www.streetdeck.com
                    The Official StreetDeck Forums have moved, please visit us at http://www.streetdeck.com/forum for official support for Streetdeck.

Comment

Originally posted by god_of_cpu
                      To get my laptop to power up when I started my car, I opened it up, found the jumper on the motherboard that the power switch was connected to, then hooked a DPDT relay up to it and the cars ACC. The good thing about laptops too is that they can detect when they go on battery power and then shutdown automatically. The bad thing is that I had to get a new car to upgrade the carputer cause installing a laptop in a big hole cutout in the dash is alot harder to upgrade.
                      Hi.. do you mind give me a diagram so I can show it to my car shop? i do not know anything about relays.. etc.. =(

Comment

A laptop is OK, but only if it stays in the car. It was to much of a hasile taking it in & out. And once in then you would have to wait on it to boot. If it is going to stay in the car then this would work fine. IMHO.
                        1999 Explorer 70%
                        SN41g2 AMD 2000xp
                        Lilliput 7" TS & 2-5" lcds
                        40Gb & DVD laptop drives, 160Gb HD
                        XM & Xtreame (FM) radio
                        GPS, PowerMate
                        SB live PCI, Stand alone TV tuner
                        4ch & Explorer Sub amp
                        Aries 150w PSU (n/working)
                        400w power inverter.

Comment

Originally posted by brex
                          Hi.. do youmind give me a diagram so I can show it to my car shop? i do not know anything about relays.. etc.. =(
                          The only real hard part to this is figuring out which jumpers on your laptop control the power on off. On mine it was one on a jumper block that the power button was connected to. I just used a metal screw driver to short circuit every 2 pins until i found the two that made the laptop turn on. Then I just hooked these two pins into the relay via a two line telephone wire.

School Yourself on Relays here:
                          http://www.the12volt.com/relays/page5.asp#pts

Actual Relay used:
                          Attached Files
                          StreetDeck.com Developer (I am Chuck)
                          Get StreetDeck at http://www.streetdeck.com
                          The Official StreetDeck Forums have moved, please visit us at http://www.streetdeck.com/forum for official support for Streetdeck.

Comment

on the above diagram, the relay would emulate the power button being held down all the time, whilst this would be ok to turn it on, say you call in for Gas (petrol) then when you return to the car (notebook still running on battery) you start the car, the power button would be pushed, turning the notebook off.. as it would be held down for more than 4 sec's... anyone got a idea how you would just have the button pressed for say 0.5 secs or something ?
                            Follow me on Twitter

http://www.FreeICE.co.uk

Comment

thats the same thing i was thinking.. u could have another relay wired up so when there is power going thru the wires on the pc's on switch the second relay will turn off the ignition wire... which would give u a push button effect on relay 1..
                              this make sence to anyone? i does to me :/
                              View My Blog

Comment

Working...
                              X