What can be done with character LCDs?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• What can be done with character LCDs?

My idea for a character LCDs are just on the drawing boards at the moments and I would like to hear more of applications for these.

I plan on having a 7" screen for GPS and navigation, but I am also thinking of having a character LCD in my IP for when the screen is not in use or too difficult to pay attention to. I know that they can be used with the Winamp plug-in. What other applications can be utilized for this??

Here are a few of my ideas. I drove my uncles Mercedes with navigation and one of the things I really liked was the bar graph and number displaying distance to next way point. Possible?

What other interactions are possible? I'm just brainstorming right now.

Thanks for the replies.
    Progress Meter:

[|||||!||||'] 95% complete

It's in... it's finally installed!!!! But never finished!

"It works! It works! I've finally invented something that works!" -- Doctor Emmit Brown

just about anything you want could show on the display, it's a matter of programming skill and time
    -
    My cars
    -

Comment

Yeah just about anything, character LCDs are so easy to program.

Comment

Is there a "Programming character LCDs for Dummies?"

I'll check the , but I thought I would ask in here as well. I'm still very new to computers, programming, building and the like.

Thanks for the responses.
        Progress Meter:

"It works! It works! I've finally invented something that works!" -- Doctor Emmit Brown

Comment

If you were just new to programming thats one thing but if you very new to computers as well then I would not reccomend trying to create your own program to control a character LCD. Not unless you have WAY to much freetime. I mean its pretty easy to control it but its hard to interface it proporly to display the information you want. I know there are a few plugins for Winamp that will allow you to output and display track information. You can find it at www.winamp.com im sure.
          2003 Subaru Impreza TS
          Staus: Done.. too lazy to make pictures lol.

Comment

I've built a few computers now, but no matter how much I read and try, I always find something I have NO clue about. Of course, that's the fun of a steep learning curve and I'm trying to take it in as best as I can. That's why I asked about LCDs for dummies. Can't learn to swim if you don't get in the water.

I just did some searching on google and found a few websites. I've got a lot of reading and such ahead. Just wanted to know if anyone could suggest a good place to start. I won't be using LCD for another year or so. My first carpc goes in this summer.

Thanks again everyone.
            Progress Meter:

Comment

You could make it a scrolling ticker, like the stocks on MSNBC. Then use your PC to monitor the OBDII port and set threshold alarm values. If something kicks out of spec then it gets stuck in the scrolling display.

Comment

Two words... space invaders

Comment

Originally posted by Tishers
                  You could make it a scrolling ticker, like the stocks on MSNBC. Then use your PC to monitor the OBDII port and set threshold alarm values. If something kicks out of spec then it gets stuck in the scrolling display.
                  I'm certain some n00b could figure out how to use one to resurrect a thread that's been dormant for over a year....
                  Have you looked in the FAQ yet?
                  How about the Wiki?

Under normal circumstances, a signature would go here.

Comment

pretty weird, i was planning on doing this for a while now. And i just got my character LCD done yesterday, its a 256x128. Really nice from allelectronics.com.
                    Im planning on using it eigther in my dash or on my box for my carputer to show temps, and maby like a clock and outside temp (since that doesnt work in my 86' merceredes and costs way to much to fix) All im looking for right now is a backlight for it.
                    96' Mercedes Benz C36 -Matte Black-
                    Status..::... {##------}25%~~ back to planning

Comment

Working...
                    X