Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

New Idea ?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • New Idea ?

    Hi peeps. unsure if this is the right forum to post this in, if it isnt then sorry.

    I'm thinking about doing a review site for carputer hardware and software.. I think it would be a good source of data for newbies to read and research. Anyone could post a review on anything related. I'm also thinking about approaching the big guys.. gps software makers, epia, etc.. for items to review and stick on the site. This would be a non-profit site, made up from members for members. I think sites that sell products never seem to
    write a truthful review.. I think this would change when us the customers made these.

    I dont know if this is a good idea or not. Just I'm prepared to try. I have already reg'd a url and mailed powerloc etc. for samples of there new stuff.

    I wouldnt want to do forums or anything like that, as I think this forum is awesome, this is a site just for reviews of products. Maybe some instructions on how to do things.. ie convert lilliput, build shutdown boards etc.. unsure, whatever peeps think would work.

    Let me know your thoughts please

    thanks

    Steve
    Follow me on Twitter

    http://www.FreeICE.co.uk

  • #2
    If you hunt around you can find various reviews for most of the hardware people end up using. However I have never seen a website dedicated to CarPC applications. I would be most willing to offer my time to do such a website if you were to create one.
    2003 Subaru Impreza TS
    Staus: Done.. too lazy to make pictures lol.

    Comment


    • #3
      Great idea. I've seen a few people attempt to do this for carputers, but haven't see anyone really pull it off yet. The problem I think is that for truly good reviews you need to have a bunch of different things that have the same function and compare them objectively (i.e. have both a xenarc and lilliput to play with side by side). Most of the reviews on the forums etc. only list the drawbacks for the single product a person has purchased and results in things like this is the best / worst thing ever eventhough they have never used a competing product that is far better / worse. If you can get the manufacturers to send you demo products to test or have side by side comparisons done at carputer meets, etc. I think you could have a truly great site, if not, I don't see much value in a review site that just has all the same types of reviews you can find with a simple search of the forum.
      StreetDeck.com Developer (I am Chuck)
      Get StreetDeck at http://www.streetdeck.com
      The Official StreetDeck Forums have moved, please visit us at http://www.streetdeck.com/forum for official support for Streetdeck.

      Comment


      • #4
        Originally posted by CdRsKuLL
        I'm thinking about doing a review site for carputer hardware and software.. I think it would be a good source of data for newbies to read and research. Anyone could post a review on anything related. I'm also thinking about approaching the big guys.. gps software makers, epia, etc.. for items to review and stick on the site. This would be a non-profit site, made up from members for members. I think sites that sell products never seem to
        write a truthful review.. I think this would change when us the customers made these.

        Something like this? http://www.car-pc.info/ (german)

        Comment


        • #5
          I would write reviews on the stuff I have. But I am sure there are much more experienced and smarter people than me that will write a review or two as well. Also if some day this site takes off and we get hardware to review for free, that would cool

          Comment


          • #6
            mpattonm, yeah something like that site, but I think I will write some php script that will allow anyone to add a review of any item. This will give a better overall review of a single product, with multi-reviews of 1 product, it would give peeps a better idea of how good/bad it is..
            Follow me on Twitter

            http://www.FreeICE.co.uk

            Comment


            • #7
              ok, I will do some stuff in the next couple of days.. Get a demo site running. Anyone that wishies to become a admin, this would involve checking the site, approving reviews that have been written. I think we must have a approval system running of some sort. Any hardware/software that is sent for review, if the product doesnt need to be returned, then the review could keep it. I think if we have about 5 admins, 2 in the uk and 3 in USA. Each taking it inturns to review products. These are only ideas, but I could do with any ideas/help to make the site what people want.
              Follow me on Twitter

              http://www.FreeICE.co.uk

              Comment


              • #8
                Originally posted by CdRsKuLL
                ok, I will do some stuff in the next couple of days.. Get a demo site running. Anyone that wishies to become a admin, this would involve checking the site, approving reviews that have been written. I think we must have a approval system running of some sort. Any hardware/software that is sent for review, if the product doesnt need to be returned, then the review could keep it. I think if we have about 5 admins, 2 in the uk and 3 in USA. Each taking it inturns to review products. These are only ideas, but I could do with any ideas/help to make the site what people want.
                cough maybe one in the suny land down under could not hurt as its just starting to get off the ground out here and a repsitive down here would be great

                Comment


                • #9
                  Originally posted by NovaKane
                  Also if some day this site takes off and we get hardware to review for free, that would cool
                  Keep in mind that most hardware companies only give out review hardware on a loan basis. You have to return the stuff when you've completed reviewing it.
                  Phillip Hullquist

                  I entertain people through adventure movies.
                  www.11visions.com

                  Comment

                  Working...
                  X