Need Advice on parts

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Need Advice on parts

Well I have a 87 ranger pick-up that has barly any room, and I plan on making a computer in the car. I origally wanted to just put a normal car streio in it but fond that I would run me about the same cost for putting a computer in my car. So here's the list that I working on, and need some help with:

1.MoBo- I think the m10000 will work
    2.Speakers- I was going to go with logitech z-560 400w suround sound system for manly cost reasons, but need impute on that. Right now they cost only $100 refurbed.
    3.Hard drive- I will buy from best buy or ebay.
    4.CD-DVD rom- I need advise, maybe a laptop one.
    5.Case- I will make to fit the glove box.
    6.Opperating System- Xp, enless theres a better one.
    7.Software- Are there any really cool ones for a car?
    8.Power supply- Don't know, I need help with that one.
    9.LCD- Don't know, Looking for one on ebay for 150, touch screen would be nice.
    10.TV-FM-Whats the best one, and cheep. I need fm, and would like tv.

And also I have some other questions:

1.Will the computer resist the weather? I live in Indiana, and there are constant weather changes. Will have a 0 degree car, then warming it up to 70 make to much of a change and screw up the computer?
    2.What about windows media center, Is that affective, Do you like it?
    3.Any other suggestions, comments, concrens.

I'm sure I'll find some other questions for you guy's, but thats it for now.

Please, and Thank you,
    Josh

Dont use logitech speakers. First of all use the car speakers. Also Logitechs... kinda stink.

As far as LCDs go you will want to buy a VGA LCD. If you want touchscreen you'll want a Lilliput or Xenarc. However there is a new LCD that has come to our attention made by Starvision but that one is still under review.

Biggest tip that I can give to you is read alot. All of your questions have been talked about before all you need to do is hehe

Also whats your budget?
    2003 Subaru Impreza TS
    Staus: Done.. too lazy to make pictures lol.

Comment

Originally posted by Maeveth
      Dont use logitech speakers. First of all use the car speakers. Also Logitechs... kinda stink.

As far as LCDs go you will want to buy a VGA LCD. If you want touchscreen you'll want a Lilliput or Xenarc. However there is a new LCD that has come to our attention made by Starvision but that one is still under review.

Biggest tip that I can give to you is read alot. All of your questions have been talked about before all you need to do is hehe

Also whats your budget?

Right now my buget is around $500, and that exacly how much that stuff will ruffly cost. But one of the reasons I want to go with the pc speackers is that theres not a lot of room in my truck, so having extrunal cases for the speakers would work fine.

Comment

its going to cost you more than $500 in all likelyhood. If you were not going to get new speakers/amp you could but you would have to sacrifice at some points.

An LCD touch screen will run you around $200, the mobo ~150, if you wanted a slim line dvd drive you can expect to may 50-150 depending on if its slotload and if it has CDRW capabilities as well. If you got a small harddrive you could get away with like $50 there. As far as a powersupply im not the best person to ask this but I know one of the best options is an Opus but that will run you atleast ~150. There are other ways to do it I just dont know them very well so I wont make a bad attempt to explain them.
        2003 Subaru Impreza TS

Comment

MOBO on ebay.....$100
          HardDrive............$60
          Speakers.............$100
          Screen(If I can)...$150
          + Power Suppy........$50
          --------------------------
          $460

That where it is going to run me. The only thing that will change is the screen, and the power supply.

Comment

Well you can plan on spending close to $200 for a good OPUS powersupply.. which is about the only powersupply solution anybody here will suggest.

Comment

Like I said before scrap using logitechs in your car, they are not meant for the car. Your also missing keyboard, mouse, and cd drive from you list.

Oh yea as far as software, dont use windows media center, if you can use MediaCar or MediaEngine. WinMCE is okay but not for a car imo.

Most people here spend way more than $500.
              2003 Subaru Impreza TS

Comment

Like I said before scrap using logitechs in your car, they are not meant for the car. Your also missing keyboard, mouse, and cd drive from you list.

Oh yea as far as software, dont use windows media center, if you can use MediaCar or MediaEngine. WinMCE is okay but not for a car imo.

Most people here spend way more than $500.

What would you suggest for car auideo speakers? I don't know much about it.
                By the way thanks for all the advice so far.

And one more thing, Will it run good if I only have the computer, rather than a cd recever, because all the ones I seen on this web page had those too?

Comment

Also what about the weather, had there been any problems with you computers dealing with the weather?

Comment

don't forget a inverter...that's another $50-100 for your powersupply...
                    and I don't know if you're gonna reuse memory...but since you didn't reuse HD I guess memory would also be new... that's another $50.

CD/DVD rom depends how which one u want... regular size is as low as $30
                    Slim probably double...
                    Slot loaded slim probably Octuple.

Seriously...no need to buy speakers...What's wrong with your factory car speakers??? Are they missing?

A very cheap way to use your car speakers is to buy a very cheap HU that has AUX in... I bought mines from bestbuy for $45. I could have gone to removable faceplate for $80 but I didn't want to spend that much. Then all you have to do is buy RCA-mini (whatever you call it) plug.

This is way much cheaper than to buy extra speakers and figure how to mount them.

Comment

problem is that if he uses car speakers he also has to use an amp or his head unit. I thought this entire process was so he could replace his head unit??

If you need to use the Logitechs because of price constraints then go ahead. But realize you can get decent car speakers for less than the $100 you have budgeted and they will sound better.
                      Car: 2000 Audi A4 Avant 1.8t
                      Carputer 2.0: removed. Back to stock.

Comment

The problem with the speakers are that there 17 years old. So I would like to replace them. That is where I came up withe The Idea to use surround sound speakers. The logitech z-560 would work well, because it has gotten good reviews, and they are pritty powerful for 100 bucks(400 watts). I was wondering if I went with car speakers if I would see much of a differance, and also how they would sound in ccars.
                        I have a truck and if I where to go with car speackers, I would have to go small. I have a brother that can make me a deal on a rockford 8 in. sub for $30, which is a good deal but that still leaves me with The mids and highs, and an amp.
                        So any suggestion as to which rought I should go.
                        Also My head unit is junk so I would have to buy one of those, unless you can run it striaght from the carputer.

Comment

For the most part age of speaker does not matter at all unless its actually damaged. I have speakers that are 25 years old and sound better than most consumer mid-range speakers. If they sound good and not really distorted then keep them. Albiet they are kinda big for me to use in a car... Their about 4ft tall and 3 ft wide and weigh atleast 50lbs each.
                          2003 Subaru Impreza TS

Comment

For the most part age of speaker does not matter at all unless its actually damaged. I have speakers that are 25 years old and sound better than most consumer mid-range speakers. If they sound good and not really distorted then keep them.
                            Yeah, they sound pretty bad though.

Comment

what about the weather, have any of you guy's experanced any issues of weather damaging the computer, and how well does a cd-rom work on bumpy roads?

Comment

Working...
                              X