XBOX and power

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• XBOX and power

Hi really new to this, I did some searching and didnt quite get the answer I was after. I have an XBOX and an old falcon, now Ive got the screen powered off some random 12v line, but for the power to the XBOX what size inverter should I get? Ive asked the guys at jaycar and I think they may have been pulling my leg cause it was like the mother of all inverters that they had that they were trying to plam off to me. Im just after a quick responce cause Ive got my heart set on getting it done before the end of the day for a car cruise.

Cheers,

PS. kick *** site u got here, full of some **** hot info!

you would need like 300 watt max inverter for just the xbox.. is the falcon a type of computer?
    '98 Explorer Sport
    http://mp3car.zcentric.com (down atm)
    AMD 800mhz 192megs RAM 60gig hard drive 9 inch widescreen VGA
    80% done

Comment

im assuming the falcon is the screen he mentioned bud.

seeings as you also mentioned jaycar im thinkin youre an aussie...me too. I just got a 300 watt nominal? (600 watt peak) inverter from k-mart for $110 aussie. Its a bit noisy (physically - fan) but i dont get any inverter hum or anything with it. It runs my pc fine so i asume the xbox would be no probs too.

good luck with everything.

Comment

if your powering your xbox, make sure you get a sine inverter, not a square one. I would of thought 150 watts would be enough, after all its only a cel 733 with one dvdrom and one harddrive. The sine inverter gives you a better smoother output to AC, this will take the pressure off the psu. I did read somewhere that you can buy a ATX power psu convertor, this lets you plug in a atx unit to the 1.1 xbox models and above (ones with atx connector). Using one of these convertors would allow you to put in a 12volt DC-DC ATX psu onto the motherboard. Handy and maybe the same price as buying your inverter.
        Follow me on Twitter

http://www.FreeICE.co.uk

Comment

Thanks guys, Yeah Im an aussie! I ended up with a 300W inverter with 900W peak power, if u get what I mean, yeah Im just copying the box it came in, lol!

The Falcon is the car it went into, its an old 82 ford falcon.

Okay so the xbox runs but when the I turn on the inverter the xbox cant be connected or the inverter beeps at me and eventually turns off! whats up with that, cause when I turn it on without the xbox, THEN plug in the xbox and turn it on its all fine. Anyone ever heard of this before? Do I need a more powerfull inverter?

Comment

900w peak is enouf. maby there is something wrong with it. or maby it is becuase it is only 230v (u got the jaycar one right?)

Comment

the operational watt usage of an xbox is 100 watts
              '98 Explorer Sport
              80% done

Comment

so 300w continous is good.

Comment

my guess is he might be going from the cig lighter which is always a bad idea. The xbox might spike up when it loads up and that is causing the inverter to drop its volts or getting overloaded on first bootup
                  '98 Explorer Sport
                  80% done

Comment

i dont think that the 300w model has a ciggy plug. i was looking at them about 3 days ago. i might be wrong

Comment

Okay guys, thanks for the info, yeah I do have a cig plug on the inverter but im not using it, as far as I can tell the 12v line im using is courtesy lights, only cause the wire was exposed and easy to get to. So would it be beter to run it off the batt? Id run it off the batt but I dont want to drain the batt when the cars not on and dont like the idea of having another switch, Id prefer it to be on when the cars on and off when the cars off.

Comment

i use mine off the main battery and have a relay before the inverter that is connecting to the ignition line so when the car is on the inverter is on.. when its off no power can even get to the inverter.
                        '98 Explorer Sport
                        80% done

Comment

Might set it up out of the car and test straight off the batt and see if it fixes the problem first.

Comment

Sorry guys, one more question if I could. That relay ur using is it anything special or are relays relays?!?! Im very electronicly impared yes, so If I rock up to super cheap auto and ask for a relay is there anything I sould include with that? like x volt y Amp relay or anything at all?

Comment

hi yes youll need a 12v relay that will switch whatever ampage draw your trying to take off it. usually most car places stock 30amp relays, which i think for your case should be enough... but correct me if im wrong people

Regards

Matt Brocklehurst,
                              TerraStudios Limited
                              Email: [email protected]

Comment

Working...
                              X