DVD drive question

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• DVD drive question

I'm new here so i hope this question belongs here.

I'm putting together a computer car, so far i have a lillput mounted between my sunvisors, a GPS on the rear deck, and at the present i'm using a old m233xt dell latitude laptop that had a bad display for my computer until i decide what kind of 'real' computer to get. The laptop is mounted in the trunk and my plans are to have a DVD player installed somewhere near the dashboard.

Question 1. what is the best way to interface the drive to the computer that will be in the trunk. I've read most of the messages here and one person suggested using a old cat5 cable, but i think he's refering to audio only, i want to be able to watch DVD movies.

Question 2. Is there is anyone here that has a 2000 (or near) Camry, that they have modified with a computer, screens, drives, etc. I'd like to hear from them on how/where they installed their componets .

Question 3. Once i recieved my 7" Lilli, i relized how small it was, and now i want to install another monitor (will have 2 in all), I've searched the web and this site, and was wondering if anyone knew of a display roughly 10" square or of a site that has a selection of LCD screens?

Question 4. I have been looking for a motherboard to replace the laptop, I like the idea of the VIA M10000, I like the size and mainly how little power it draws but some of the reviews i have read, mention problems with compatibilites with some software/hardware. Which makes me want to get a regular motherboard and deal with the power requirements that they need then to deal with software/hardware problems. Is this a real problem with the 10000 ?

Thanks in advance for this help and for any suggestions i can get.

"Are we there yet?"
    Dual Lilliput's 70NP/C/T
    Syntax SV266AD KT266A
    AMD Athlon XP 2000
    Viking 256MB DDR
    D-Link Wireless 802.11B
    Seagate 120GB
    OrbitMicro 250W DC/DC converter
    SII Wireless Audio Link
    Digimoto OBD-II
    Earthmate GPS
    BU-303 USB GPS
    D-Link Bluetooth

I'm a newbie to carputers, but I've been doing research. Ibuld PCs for fun and am a professional software engineer. Here's my thoughts:

Question 1. what is the best way to interface the drive to the computer that will be in the trunk. I've read most of the messages here and one person suggested using a old cat5 cable, but i think he's refering to audio only, i want to be able to watch DVD movies.

A: Go USB2 or firewire. Get a slim slot loading DVD drive in an extrnal enclosure and connect it to the trunk via a USB 2 / firewire cable. This is the tidiest and most effective solution.

Question 2. Is there is anyone here that has a 2000 (or near) Camry, that they have modified with a computer, screens, drives, etc. I'd like to hear from them on how/where they installed their componets .

A: Do a search, I bet there is.

Question 3. Once i recieved my 7" Lilli, i relized how small it was, and now i want to install another monitor (will have 2 in all), I've searched the web and this site, and was wondering if anyone knew of a display roughly 10" square or of a site that has a selection of LCD screens?

A: I've seen these sites and the screens are ridiculously expensive. We're talking at least twice as much as the lilliput. I'd buy a second lilliput (without the touchscreen perhaps).

Question 4. I have been looking for a motherboard to replace the laptop, I like the idea of the VIA M10000, I like the size and mainly how little power it draws but some of the reviews i have read, mention problems with compatibilites with some software/hardware. Which makes me want to get a regular motherboard and deal with the power requirements that they need then to deal with software/hardware problems. Is this a real problem with the 10000 ?

A: Such incompatibilities are news to me. I shall be receiving my M10000N soon...I don't anticipate any such problems. If you have room you could fabricate a box for a micro ITX m/b and go the underclocked Pentium / Athalon route. Trouble is, they draw a lot of power and generate a lot of heat. You may be drawing more power than a 150W opus can handle.

The most difficult aspect is regulated power and controlling the startup & shutdown of the PC. Opus is expensive but a quality product.

Good luck.
    EPoX mATX SocketA w/onboard Geforce4MX / 512MB PC2700 / AthlonXP 1600
    Lilliput / DVDrom / Opus 150W / WD 3.5" 160GB / SB Audigy NX
    XP home / Road Runner / iGuidance 4.0

Comment

thanks for the input, i ended up moving the 7" to the dash and plan to put a 'not as good' monitor in place of where the 7" was for watching movies.

I placed an ampmeter in series with my ps of my mother board and it was drawing ~800-900ma with the ram, and processor that i am currently using, and yesterday i purchased a 250w dc-dc converter. The 600w inverter that i was using produced to much harmonics and introduced noise onto my video.

Thanks for the help!
      Dual Lilliput's 70NP/C/T
      Syntax SV266AD KT266A
      AMD Athlon XP 2000
      Viking 256MB DDR
      D-Link Wireless 802.11B
      Seagate 120GB
      OrbitMicro 250W DC/DC converter
      SII Wireless Audio Link
      Digimoto OBD-II
      Earthmate GPS
      BU-303 USB GPS
      D-Link Bluetooth

Comment

What problems with the Epia 10k? So far mine is running smoothly. And yes it is pretty small.
        Mine needs to be updated.

Comment

Working...
        X