How to connect rear speakers?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• How to connect rear speakers?

I have the epia 10000 mobo, I was wondering how I can connect the rear speakers. I got the front ones working, is there some sort of jumper on the mobo so that the sound input actually turns into audio out?

My other option is to split the one audio out to both front and rear.

Thanks

I don't have an epia, but on my computer you just plug it in and it auto-detects it, however if you turn the jack sense off it can be set in Volume control, Make sure 'Rear' is displayed and Advanced Controls is enabled.

Click on the 'Advanced' button on the Rear volume control, then check "Switch Line-In to Rear Output" and you will have 4 channel sound.

Comment

Originally posted by Walleye
      it's only simulated 4 channel sound. if you want true 4 or more channel sound, you need to get a sound card, or an nforce2 mobo.

the sound out they have has a black jack that goes to rear speakers. the green jack goes to front speakers. the orange jack can go to center channel, i think. (never had more than 4 channels...)
      what do you mean by 'simulated', there are 5 channels on most new motherboard, including the epia, these can all be controlled seperatly just like any other 5.1 sound card. And what does nforce2 have to do with anything, I think you are confused, the chipset that a motherboard uses doesn't efect what onboard sound that can be used. You can get true surrond sound with most onboard sound cards.

Comment

Does anyone know?

I think im just going to buy a 1/8 y adapter

Comment

MANUAL
          try page 2-10 and the appendix (at the back, section "A")
          2005 Ford Focus ST

Comment

Thanks for the link to the manual. I tried everything in there, but I still cant get the rears to work.

Maybe windows media player cant do rear speakers?

Not sure about that one.

Any additional help you guys can provide is appreciated.

Thanks

Comment

Oh, here we are, Man was right. it does 6 channel sound.

just plug the green to green(front speakers to stereo out), and black to blue(rear speakers to line in).

then run the speaker configuration utility, power cycle everything, and you should be good to go.

the page also says if you have a 5/6 channel setup, the center and subwoofer plug into the microphone plug. (red)

so, no, dont get the Y adapter, unless you need the line in or the microphone in.

else, get a sound card if you want the best of both worlds.

Man, sorry i was an ***. i dont have much experience with onboard sound.

Comment

Comment

Ok guys I have tried everything and the dam rears will not work. I guess since I will be getting xm radio for the pc which uses the audio in, I have choice but to use a 1/8 Y adapter.

Thanks for all the help

Comment

yea, i ran into the same problem with my d-link radio. I wanted to use the line in on the board, and an external sound card for 5.1, but I was told it wont work Grrr....why is it everything I want to do cant be done!
                    2005 Ford Focus ST

Comment

the connections your doing may be correct, it may be your sound source. I remember reading somewhere (prob on these forums) that its all to do with the sound source. If you try playing a dvd it may come out of all 4, but if you try playing just a mp3 then it just comes out of the front. Its to do with the type of encoding. I may be talking lots of bolloxs, but I did read it somewhere honest.. :-) maybe someone can explain it better. (fingers x'd)
                      Follow me on Twitter

http://www.FreeICE.co.uk

Comment

If they're plugged in, and you're running windows xp, change the sound output by going to Control Panel->Sound and Audio Devices->Advanced Button on the bottom->Speakers select 5.1.

Comment

Yea I made sure the 5.1 was selected.

Thanks for the tip, but still no sound

Comment

you won't get the rears to fire on something like an mp3 without turning on stereo expansion. On my game theater there is an option in it's setup appliction. I'd susspect there is something simmular on the epia but I've never tried to get 5.1 out of my epia.

Comment

I have the same problem, and I'm pretty sure the other channels are not active on mp3 playback. All I did was flick the switch on my amp to 2CH which activated all 4 speakers on 2 channel sound.
                              Ampie Case
                              2.5" Hard Drive 80GB Samsung 5400RPM
                              256 MB DDR2 PC5400
                              Xenarc 700TSV - VGA Monitor
                              Intel D945GCLF Motherboard
                              M2-ATX-HV

2005 Honda Civic

Comment

Working...
                              X