No announcement yet.

Suggestions on materials

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Suggestions on materials

Hi guys,
    I've been planning and designing a car computer system for about 8 months now, and I was recently directed to your site by a friend.

I've read and searched through a lot of the posts here, and theres a lot of very useful information, but there are a few things I'm not yet clear about.

I have experience building and fixing PCs, so I was planning to design my own system, but from what I have read, a lot of you guys seem to opt for "specialty" mobos. I was just thinking a basic Intel mobo with a 2.4 P4 in a Micro-ATX case, with a PCI vid card and sound card. (Radeon 9200 SE and Audigy2 specifically)

What mobos and CPUs are you guys running and what are their advantages or disadvantages?? I'm guessing a P4 might be too much of a power burden on my electrical system.
    I ordered a Lilliput 7" and I'm waiting for it to come in, but I've never worked with touch-screen system before. Do I need a special OS or can I just install respective drivers??

I was looking at coyotes Media-Car software, and I'm very drawn in by the custom skinning option, but how difficult would it be to use a custom skin? (I'm good with Photoshop, so drawning one shouldn't be a problem)
    Could someone give me a run down how Media-Car works??
    Is it like a fancy winamp or more complicated than that.

Any help you guys can provide me would be greatly appreciated.
    Thanks in advance

EDIT - A few side notes I thought I'd add. Boot times aren't especially important to me, because my car is a Turbo, and is always run for at least 15 minutes before I leave. Also, it is always left on a Turbo Timer to cool down, so I can manually shut off the PC before cutting the power.

Many people here use the epia M10000 mobo, it consumes low power, but, in general, is fast enough for a carputer.

Touchscreen's easy, it works a lot like a mouse, just plug it into your USB, do the drivers, and that's about it. No special OS

media car is great, I don't know about the custom skins tho, I haven' t done it.
    I consider that our present sufferings are not worth comparing with the glory that will be revealed in us.

Wow. That was a fast reply
      I'll go take a look at that mobo, thanks pimpj.

sure, one more thing : in Ur edit, you discuss power.

The majority (80 - 90% ish) of people use OPUS power suply, it's available on this site. It handles power on and off for you, and survives the crank. It's good stuff.
        I consider that our present sufferings are not worth comparing with the glory that will be revealed in us.