cost of a professional install

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• cost of a professional install

I have nearly finished building my carpc in my home. Now the daunting task of putting it in my car has come up. I don't know squat about car electronics or wiring, and I'm thinking I'll probably break a bunch of stuff if I attempt to do this on my own. So if I were to take all my parts to somebody, how much do you think would be a reasonable price to install?

Here are the specs - the pc itself would go in the trunk.
    Travla c134
    opus 150w
    lilliput 7" up front
    deluo gps
    usb hub up front
    dvd-rom in the glove box

My car: 2003 mazda 6. Thanks in advance for any advice!

i know a lot of places that charge around 80 bucks just to wire an amp. So it'll be pricey
    '98 Explorer Sport
    http://mp3car.zcentric.com (down atm)
    AMD 800mhz 192megs RAM 60gig hard drive 9 inch widescreen VGA
    80% done

Comment

Most audio stores charge about $50-$100 for the labor to install an amplifier (wiring and such is additional). I would expect they wouldn't charge too much more to wire up your computer since it's about the same kind of procedure.
      Phillip Hullquist

I entertain people through adventure movies.
      www.11visions.com

Comment

Originally posted by Riff
        I have nearly finished building my carpc in my home. Now the daunting task of putting it in my car has come up. I don't know squat about car electronics or wiring, and I'm thinking I'll probably break a bunch of stuff if I attempt to do this on my own. So if I were to take all my parts to somebody, how much do you think would be a reasonable price to install?

Here are the specs - the pc itself would go in the trunk.
        Travla c134
        opus 150w
        lilliput 7" up front
        deluo gps
        usb hub up front
        dvd-rom in the glove box

My car: 2003 mazda 6. Thanks in advance for any advice!
        Hi riff,

You can do it yourself. You got the Opus manual? Follow that for setting up all power. What head unit you use? How you want to run your audio? How you plan to power your screen and your dvd?

I built and installed without car installing experience, and did it with info found here at mp3car.com. Prepare well, read everything.

Sure, something might not work right away, but if you can put that hardware you got together, I'm sure you can install it too.

Michael
        "It does not understand, if it does not ride."

M10000, 512 Mb, 2,5" 40G, Slim DVD, Opus 90W, Xenarc 7", Leadtek 9532 GPS,
        RoadRunner, MapMonkey, Pioneer HU, Pioneer 4 ch 400W, Kappa 6.5, Basslink X 200W

Comment

Call up a few fellow florida mp3car members, I'm sure they can help you out.
          If anything a resonable install charge.
          Mine needs to be updated.

Comment

Do it yourself. It really isn't that hard. If you have issues head down to Tampa and I'll help you out.

The hardest part (most time consuming as well) will be the initial wiring. After that it's a cake walk. Just do a little research and you'll see.
            Aura MR62 (F and R)
            My Current MP3s
            IamDefiler.com

Comment

Wow.. Thanks for the replies (and offers for help) guys. I may take you up on that offer Still waiting for my opus before I can do anything at the moment. When the time comes, I'd be willing to pay a decent amount for some first-hand "guidance." Glad to know I can find some great support here.

Comment

If your are ever around the Pensacola area I would be glad to help you out, provided you supply the cold beverages!

But you should really try it yourself, it is very satisfying once you do it yourself. If you run into a problem ask people here or goto a local Circuit City or any audio installer and I am sure someone would point you in the right direction.
                "I'm going back to Cali(Iraq), Cali(Iraq), Cali(Iraq), I'm going back to Cali(Iraq), Cali(Iraq), Cali(Iraq), I know so!!!!" Now I'm here!!

By "ToneRiddle"

Comment

Originally posted by riddle14
                  But you should really try it yourself, it is very satisfying once you do it yourself. If you run into a problem ask people here or goto a local Circuit City or any audio installer and I am sure someone would point you in the right direction.

or the wrong direction. if you run into a problem, check this board first. if it has to do with wiring speakers, or an amp...you can try caraudio.com as well...

we can guide you through the majority of troubleshooting if you do get in trouble. and if you're not sure about something dont be afraid to ask (or search). its better that you ask first and do it correctly than set fire to your car.
                  rebuilding carpc... kinda..

Comment

The wiring is fairly strait forward. It just takes time if you want to do it nice. Finding a good location for all the components is the key. After that, the hardest part is likely to involve the mounting of your LCD, assuming you want the 'factory' look.
                    2004 4runner

Comment

I would say (as most people here will tell you) to do it yourself.

The task at hand may look rather hard when you start looking at the picture in whole. Try starting with something (something small) like connecting the opus or running power and ground. There is plenty to do even if you don't have any of the components.

Get started with running some of the wires.

When you get stuck come back here and post a help question

Good Luck
                      -Jesus- King of Kings Lord of Lords

Comment

Working...
                      X