Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

where to buy wire to run from battery to inverter?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • where to buy wire to run from battery to inverter?

    UPDATE #2 can I wire a switch into the power wire of the amp kit?
    ======
    ok, so yesterday, i bought a 12VDC SPST switch (rated to 30 amps), for the purpose of mounting on/in my dash (where I currently have a blank plate). the idea is, I will essentially hide the inverter somewhere (out of sight&reach), and leave the switch on the inverter always on, and just control the power via this other switch that I purchased My question is, do I just wire it right into the power wire of the amp kit? The back of this switch that I bought has 3 terminals: power, load, and ground. Can someone explain easily how this would need to be wired???


    UPDATE my latest question about an amp wiring kit
    ======
    ok, so, i picked up a Scosche 250-500W amp wiring kit at Wal-Mart (yes, Wal-Mart), to use to hook up my Coleman 300W inverter. Now, my question is (being the electrical newbie that I am): there's one longer power wire, to go to the positive battery terminal I presume, and there's a shorter ground wire, which gets grounded somewhere on the care body??? Is that it? Somebody with half a clue when it comes to basic electrical stuff, explain to me how this works, and explain how it is safe?!? (Or am I missing something???)

    Thanks!


    =======================================
    ORIGINAL POST:
    ============
    ok, so, this wire that I'm apparently supposed to run directly from my battery to my inverter, where do I buy this stuff?

    can I buy just normal ol' 10-2 wire from Lowes/HomeDepot?

    Or does it need to be some special kind of wire (special insulation, etc) because it's going to be running in the engine compartment?

    is 10 AWG wire heavy enough to connect to a Coleman 350W/700W inverter that'll be powering a minimal Athlon 2500 mobile (barton) system?

    thanks for any help.


    oh, and yes, I am aware of and , but i tried them both, and the results that I got looked like this:


  • #2
    I have a 400 watt Coleman inverter. I purchased a kit that was meant to power a 400 watt amp because it included all necessary connectors, an inline fuse holder, and the right length. It also came with some plastic protective cover for the wire that resides in the engine compartment, and some hardware to get the wire through your firewall.

    Works just fine for me. it was about $25, which i thought was a little expensive for a 15 foot length of wire and some connectors. But I guess you pay for the convenience. I just wanted to be safe by using something meant for a car.

    The inline fuse is meant to be kept close to the battery in case of an accidental short. I would NOT connect a lenth of wire drectly to the battery without a fuse because you can ruin your battery or set your car on fire (I've seen it happen).

    Good luck.

    Comment


    • #3
      If your running any kind of amps or anything just go get some 0 - 4 guage wire and run that to you battery. Home Depot and Lowes I am not sure if they sell it. I bet you can find a good deal online .. or even a hole in the wall stereo shop will have what you need...
      2005 Ford Mustang GT <- - - UPDATED PICTURES

      2003 KAWASAKI Z1000 - CUSTOM MODZ

      MBK (AIM = IllMBKllI)

      Comment


      • #4
        Wire and inverter

        I'm currently running a 700w inverter in my trunk. I have a 2000 Camry and have found that they run their wiring under the car with a plastic cover, so there is where i ran my 6 gauge wire (just one wire, and use the frame of the car for neg). I used two fused blocks, in parallel (radioshack 270-1213) with two 15A fuses along with a 30A automotive relay (in series with the fuses) (275-226) to kill the power if anything should happen. I mounted the fuses RIGHT at the battery, then the relay. You DO NOT want to run any length of wire HOT from the battery for saftey sake. I found the wire at a recycle electronic store, about 30ft of 6 gauge for $6. Multistrand is best.

        To test this out i ran 4 100watt 115v bulbs for 2 hours out of the trunk, when i first tried this, i was only running one fuse holder and it did get kinda hot, so that is why i went to two fuse blocks and split the current rating of the fuses.

        I do have pictures if anyone is interested..
        Good Luck!
        Dual Lilliput's 70NP/C/T
        Syntax SV266AD KT266A
        AMD Athlon XP 2000
        Viking 256MB DDR
        D-Link Wireless 802.11B
        Seagate 120GB
        OrbitMicro 250W DC/DC converter
        SII Wireless Audio Link
        Digimoto OBD-II
        Earthmate GPS
        BU-303 USB GPS
        D-Link Bluetooth

        Comment


        • #5
          Originally posted by crosseye
          I have a 400 watt Coleman inverter. I purchased a kit that was meant to power a 400 watt amp because it included all necessary connectors, an inline fuse holder, and the right length. It also came with some plastic protective cover for the wire that resides in the engine compartment, and some hardware to get the wire through your firewall.

          Works just fine for me. it was about $25, which i thought was a little expensive for a 15 foot length of wire and some connectors. But I guess you pay for the convenience. I just wanted to be safe by using something meant for a car.

          The inline fuse is meant to be kept close to the battery in case of an accidental short. I would NOT connect a lenth of wire drectly to the battery without a fuse because you can ruin your battery or set your car on fire (I've seen it happen).

          Good luck.
          Where did you get this kit?
          '01 4runner ░ P3 866 ░ 128mb ░ 20gb HD ░ Radeon 9200SE PCI ░ SB PCI ░ Slim DVD/CD-RW ░ USB GPS ░ 7" Lilli vga TS ░ XP Pro ░ MC ░ Routis '04
          ForemostWebHosting
          SpeedGuyParts.com

          Comment


          • #6
            Originally posted by sabre
            Where did you get this kit?
            You can usually find them at any place that deals with car audio sales or installation. I've seen them at BestBuy, Pep Boys, and Advanced Auto Parts.

            Comment


            • #7
              wow everybody, thanks for the useful answers & feedback.

              I think that since i'm a total noob to messing with stuff under the hood of my car, i'm gonna swing by Advance Auto Parts on the way home from work today and pick up one of those 'all-inclusive' kits...sounds like the easiest way to go for a noob like me.

              Comment


              • #8
                let me know how that goes. I have an inverter and want to run it to the battery but I dont have confidence in buying what I need seperately. If those kits are easily available and work, im gonna get one this weekend.
                '01 4runner ░ P3 866 ░ 128mb ░ 20gb HD ░ Radeon 9200SE PCI ░ SB PCI ░ Slim DVD/CD-RW ░ USB GPS ░ 7" Lilli vga TS ░ XP Pro ░ MC ░ Routis '04
                ForemostWebHosting
                SpeedGuyParts.com

                Comment


                • #9
                  run it inside the car forget doing it outside its more work... Those panels come off much easier then you think
                  2005 Ford Mustang GT <- - - UPDATED PICTURES

                  2003 KAWASAKI Z1000 - CUSTOM MODZ

                  MBK (AIM = IllMBKllI)

                  Comment


                  • #10
                    Originally posted by mbkowns
                    run it inside the car forget doing it outside its more work... Those panels come off much easier then you think
                    those panels? sorry, forgive my ignorance, but what panels are we referring to here?

                    Comment


                    • #11
                      inside your car, that hold the carpet down
                      2005 Ford Mustang GT <- - - UPDATED PICTURES

                      2003 KAWASAKI Z1000 - CUSTOM MODZ

                      MBK (AIM = IllMBKllI)

                      Comment


                      • #12
                        Pokey,

                        Can you post the pics of your setup? (inverter + fuses + relay).

                        How do you use the relay? Is it connected to a switch for manual cut-off?

                        best
                        --ccb

                        Comment


                        • #13
                          Originally posted by mbkowns
                          inside your car, that hold the carpet down
                          ok, sorry for sounding totally dumb here, but what you're saying is to run from the battery into the cabin of the car, into the trunk, rather than running from battery, all the way outside underneath the car, to the trunk...is that what you were meaning?

                          or did I totally misunderstand?

                          just to clarify what i'm doing, i'm going to be putting my computer either under the passenger seat, or in the dash if it somehow manages to fit (most likely it'll be under the passenger seat)

                          Comment


                          • #14
                            UPDATE: my latest question regarding this
                            ======
                            ok, so, i picked up a Scosche 250-500W amp wiring kit at Wal-Mart (yes, Wal-Mart), to use to hook up my Coleman 300W inverter. Now, my question is (being the electrical newbie that I am): there's one longer power wire, to go to the positive battery terminal I presume, and there's a shorter ground wire, which gets grounded somewhere on the care body??? Is that it? Somebody with half a clue when it comes to basic electrical stuff, explain to me how this works, and explain how it is safe?!? (Or am I missing something???)

                            Thanks!

                            Comment


                            • #15
                              Originally posted by hud
                              UPDATE: my latest question regarding this
                              ======
                              ok, so, i picked up a Scosche 250-500W amp wiring kit at Wal-Mart (yes, Wal-Mart), to use to hook up my Coleman 300W inverter. Now, my question is (being the electrical newbie that I am): there's one longer power wire, to go to the positive battery terminal I presume, and there's a shorter ground wire, which gets grounded somewhere on the care body??? Is that it? Somebody with half a clue when it comes to basic electrical stuff, explain to me how this works, and explain how it is safe?!? (Or am I missing something???)

                              Thanks!
                              essentially thats it. i wouldn't run the wire outside the car. you might want to find a friend (or make friends with someone) who has done this before. it's not too too complicated but could cause problems in the future if its not grounded correctly.

                              i didnt read all the posts because im about to go out to lunch but make sure you disconnect the battery before doing anything! good luck -scott
                              rebuilding carpc... kinda..

                              Comment

                              Working...
                              X