Odd Monitor Mounting locations

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Odd Monitor Mounting locations

Hey everyone , got a issue I am trying to solve .. After testing out several possible locations for where I am going to mount my lilliput , I have decided that the best place for me at least, is to put it where my rearview mirror is. Now my problem is i dont know the best way to mount it in this location is, as much as i just want to put it on the stock mirror , there is no way that it could hold up to the weight. Can anyone offer any suggestions?

BTW ... I will be doing a cam so to still have a rearview when needed , and this is going into a 2001 mustang

Originally posted by Scorpnstail
    I have decided that the best place for me at least, is to put it where my rearview mirror is.
    No offense, but I think that would be begging for a traffic ticket. Regardless if it is used with a camera for rear view or not, most cops would probably hit you with an "obstruction of view" ticket.

I would suggest looking into cases that will allow your screen to flip down from the ceiling of your car. That way you can put the unit right above the rear view mirror. When it's flipped up its out of the way (and the cops can't see it) and when its flipped down, it's roughly in the location of your rear view mirror.

Comment

Originally posted by crosseye
      No offense, but I think that would be begging for a traffic ticket. Regardless if it is used with a camera for rear view or not, most cops would probably hit you with an "obstruction of view" ticket.
      I did not think that would be the case as long it was still used as a rearview mirror. Then again i drove around for years in my old car without one

Comment

Rearview mirrors has been discussed before. Apparently you do not need a central rear view mirror if you have side mirrors.

The obstruction of view is a valid point, bearing in mind the screen would drop down well below the mirror and block out quite a bit of your view from the left(right in US).

Comment

Originally posted by Enforcer
          Rearview mirrors has been discussed before. Apparently you do not need a central rear view mirror if you have side mirrors.

The obstruction of view is a valid point, bearing in mind the screen would drop down well below the mirror and block out quite a bit of your view from the left(right in US).
          I can understand how it would be a problem , but my plan was to have the monitor slightly above instead of below so as not to black my view there

Comment

Yeah, as far as i know, you don't need a rearview mirror. I don't think it's illegal to NOT have one.

Originally posted by Enforcer
            As I see it, the screen would not be any lower than it would be if mounted on a rear view mirror bracket. Also, I don't think it would obstruct any more of the driver's view than if directly mounted. Plus you can flip it up if needed.

Comment

i think I am going to need to call the local police dept and find out what the law is for rearview mirrors for the state of FL

if the law states that a rearview must be present , then I guess i need further clarifiaction on what a rearview is by law.

from what i have seen i have heard mention that you must have a rearview capable of seeing 200 ft . With a webcam that should not be a issue. The question lies in if a digital image is sufficient.

Comment

Just to shed a little light on this. I'm not aware of other states, and states do vary so check with your local police or inspection garage.

In Maryland, I was studying for Maryland State Inspection and the law about the center rear view mirror stated that you MUST have a rear view mirror for cars. Regardless of outside mirrors. However, for pickups, SUVs, delivery vans, vans, etc, you could go without a rear view mirror so long as you have both side view mirror. I think the idea behind it was the fact that some delivery vans and trucks (18 wheelers) can not have rear view mirrors due to their back window being obscured by a trailer or not having a rear glass window. But all cars should not have this problem and therefore should have a center rear view mirror.

As for the monitor, I'm not as sure about that, and I don't know if that would be such a great idea. I was thinking about placing my monitor in a 'drop down' console above, but opted against it, for the fact that I didn't wish to draw the attention of police regardless of the law.

Don't forget also that the law in the US states that you may not have a monitor in line of sight of the driver that is displaying motion picture. I think since I studied my MSD (10 years ago) they have revised this law to allow for GPS and the like. None-the-less, I don't feel like finding out.

Good luck with finding a place for your monitor.
                Progress Meter:

[|||||!||||'] 95% complete

It's in... it's finally installed!!!! But never finished!

"It works! It works! I've finally invented something that works!" -- Doctor Emmit Brown

Comment

I think I am going to go ahead and scrap the rearview idea then , i just dont think the trouble i am bound to get from that location would be worth it. Now I am looking at the location my guage pods are .. i figure that i will have OBII to display RPMS and such.

Comment

Originally posted by crosseye
                    I would suggest looking into cases that will allow your screen to flip down from the ceiling of your car. That way you can put the unit right above the rear view mirror. When it's flipped up its out of the way (and the cops can't see it) and when its flipped down, it's roughly in the location of your rear view mirror.
                    Does anyone know of a drop-down case, motorized or not, that would allow for a 7" VGA? I'm in the same bind myself
                    '03 Acura TL PC FINISHED!!
                    MP3CAR

Comment

Lilliput up by the rearview mirrow

I saw this thread and thought i post a few lines and throw up my picture of my lilliput where you wanted to put yours. I had it up there for the kids to see movies from the back and for me to see the GPS. I kinda lucked out at first cause my Camry has this place made for either sunglasses or a remote garage opener between the sunvisor. I ran all the cables under the roof top and really didnt have to much of a problem hanging it there.

But... i dont like it, its a pain in my neck, from having to look up at it, and plus it kinda blocks my view of whats behind me. As for cops... i got a speeding ticket the other morning, the cop just looked inside at it, shook his head and gave me a speeding ticket. Didnt say a thing.

Anyway, here the picture of it and as i speak, i'm in the process of mounting it in the dash...where it belongs.
                      Attached Files
                      Dual Lilliput's 70NP/C/T
                      Syntax SV266AD KT266A
                      AMD Athlon XP 2000
                      Viking 256MB DDR
                      D-Link Wireless 802.11B
                      Seagate 120GB
                      OrbitMicro 250W DC/DC converter
                      SII Wireless Audio Link
                      Digimoto OBD-II
                      Earthmate GPS
                      BU-303 USB GPS