King of Newbies..

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• King of Newbies..

Yeah, so I'm young, living off a College Dinner consisting of Ramon noodles with a touch of pepper. I have or actually I had a decent knowledge of Computers and what not, but when it came down to Carputers.. My mind just completely left me.. I have no Idea where to start, and I feel pathetic to ask someone to hold my hand and baby me on my journey of creating my dream car. ( 97 Ex Accord Sedan, 18" ICW Rims, Blitz Body Kit, Window tint so far ).

So really, What I am asking.. is..
    Can someone be so kind to.. Create ( as in write out what I need ) for a decent, not to expensive, but not to cheap, Carputer, that does the works ( GPS, DVD, MUSIC ).

Some how to's would be cool, like How to completely connect your carputer to your car, without burning it up..

As for me, I can upholster and fiberglass everything in my car, but.. I can't even create or put together a soundsystem if my life depended on it..
    05 Acura RSX Type S
    - Back to the Planning Stage -
    ETA: ???

pretty much everything you need is somewhere on the board... there is stuff on power supplies, screens, wiring, etc.

i honestly dont think someone is going to sit down and write a reply containing all the subtleties of building and installing a carputer... if you have some specific questions about buying some components or procedures, then im sure you will get a bit more of a reply.

~mike
    Single Member of the "1000 Post and No MP3 Car" Club
    PROJECT ON INDEFINATE HOLD... BOUGHT A HOUSE
    2000 Cavalier Z24 [###-------] Only 30% Done ... Still

Comment

One thing you learn doing a carputer is never cut corners, I hope you enjoy eating those Ramen + pepper. And yes search the king of newbies
      Mine needs to be updated.

Comment

As my bretheren have pointed out...the is a very usefull tool.

First thing you have to ask yourself is how far you wanna go with this? Do you want something easy, simple and quick...ie laptop, or do you wanna take the time and energy to put together a whole system. Many people have reasons for doing either way.

Then you gotta ask yourself how you want to view your carputer? In dash 7" screen, visor screen, mount a 10"......

Next, how do you want to control it....touch screen seems to be the best option for most, but you can also use a mouse/keyboard and some other interesting things....

How are you going to power it? Opus dc to dc seems to be the top choice for the guys who have the full computers. Laptops are much easier to power using a cig lighter adapter.

I have a 96 accord so i know the interior your dealing with. If your good with bondo and fiberglass stuff you can make a custom in dash screen solution.

Good luck!
        My carputer

Comment

Thanks guys, I did some searching before I posted, but didnt get much luck, I'll keep on looking.
          05 Acura RSX Type S
          - Back to the Planning Stage -
          ETA: ???

Comment

Originally posted by samc
            One thing you learn doing a carputer is never cut corners,
            On the contrary I think you'll find you may need to cut quite a few corners if you wish to custom install a PC and all the peripherals into your car. Especially if you want to make the screen install look OEM

Comment

allways a smart *** enforcer... jesus christ

D00d!!! YOu say you know alot about computers and all that jazz then why is this so damn hard? I mean for the love of christ you just changing a power supply and speakers and that's about it. Everything people are doing is just for personal taste. Nothing is worst than a dumb *** asking for help when he says he knows his stuff. Now thats just bunk.

Lazy Bastard!

Oh yea I forgot

and
              Originally posted by menudude
              thank you all for your help minus the useless post by sjlucky...

Comment

Bro i would have to agree with all of them and even Sj... I think i know what the prob is in your search. You have yet to figure out what it is you want to do. We know you want to put a computer in your car. You must come up with what you want it to look like. How it will function. Its purpose and how much money you can spend. Basically no one can tell you how to do it college boy.......So hit the books!!!(or the forum hehe)
                I GIVE FREE HUGS!
                Buy Sell or Trade
                If my pm box is full, please feel free to call me any time. 440-328-3382
                Thank you
                Forex
                Rate Mp3car @ FXroot.com

Comment

Originally posted by SjLucky
                  allways a smart *** enforcer... jesus christ

....Nothing is worst than a dumb *** asking for help when he says he knows his stuff. Now thats just bunk.

Lazy Bastard!

Oh yea I forgot

and

WOW. Harsh man!
                  We are already known as not being very Newbie-friendly....not helping

The main thing you should consider is what your application will be. Sounds like you want dvd, mp3, the whole works. I like the Via mainboards, mine is a M1000 for example. Buy a board, some memory, and a hard drive, and then consider a screen. There is so much debate, I cant tell you what to purchase without starting another debate, so I wont, but research the lcd more than any other part of your system! It may be molded into your dash for life. You also need to decide on where you want your drive, how your gonna wire it will depend. Think about your input device, a touchscreen is very handy, but how are you going to type...wireless keyboard? virtual keyboard?

Jot down some notes on what you like, and what you have questions about, and we can work with you a little better. The more specific you are, the less the big bad guys around here will pick on you.
                  2005 Ford Focus ST

Comment

On the contrary I think you'll find you may need to cut quite a few corners if you wish to custom install a PC and all the peripherals into your car. Especially if you want to make the screen install look OEM

may I add...you may also need to cut in the middle

Comment

big bad guys??

jesus your lucky I didnt say what I really wanted to say...

but back on topic... Speedy has it right... come up with a game plan first... A DETAILED GAME PLAN... not a highlights like

1) IDea
                      2)...
                      3)Jam Out In Car With CarPC

RESEARCH your **** before you ask for detailed plans on building your own... **** why dont you go the pussy way out and just buy one college boy

Comment

newbies bring it on themselves by posting with thread title such as "king of newbies" or "n00b question"...that in itself gets people ready to flame them
                        CarPC install is starting to come along again...

Comment

Phase 1: steal underpants
                          phase 3: profit!

I agree....just like the underpants gnomes, you need a phase 2. I am also tired of the repetitous questions, especially those that will get peoples panties in a bunch, like which LCD is better, but hey, they are newbies, and they may fade away or go on to be the next post-whore. You just never know!

Plus, i do have a soft spot for my fellow Dr Pepper peoples
                          2005 Ford Focus ST

Comment

Im a pepper...

Comment

bottom line is, if you're ALREADY eating ramen noodles, how are you financing this carputer project? surplus amounts from student loans?

seriously, the first thing i think you gotta get is a ballpark idea of 1) what you want, 2) what you are willing to pay (total), and 3) how to get 1 & 2 to "meet in the middle".

When I started looking into this, I (ignorantly) was hoping to get a carputer set up for maybe about $300 tops. Then I found out that if you want a VGA-capable screen, you're probably looking at at least ~$250 just for that.

Comment

Working...
                              X