Motorized touch screen and hard drives

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Motorized touch screen and hard drives

Hey, i've been readin this forum for a hwile now, and i was wonderin what kind of motorized touch screens are nicest. probably a 7" one. i'd like to spend less than 350. I'm also wondering if hard drives work when they bouncin along the road. If they don't, should i use a notebook hard drive or would a regular external drive work? Also, i only have a p3 400mhz processor for my computer, is that enough to play videos and music properly? i have my sound card and video card already.

been readin this forum for a while, have ya? then you know that there aren't any motorized touchscreens available yet, and the ones that have been "coming soon" are priced over $600.

And the hard drive thing has been covered so many times that when you searched, you came back with the phone book, so here's your freebie: Modern hard drives are not likely to fail while operating in a vehicle. That being said, laptop drives are even less likely to fail, so if at all possible go for a laptop drive.

MP3's can run fine on even a 266MHz processor, but for video playback 400MHz is kinda low. You didnt mention how much RAM you've got, or the make and model of video card so I cant in good faith tell you that you can't play videos. BTW, are these DVD's from disc or DivX files?
    Debt as of 1/1/05: $34,354.48
    Debt as of July 4, 2007: $0.00 explanation
    I'M DEBT FREE!!
    I'm now a reasonably successful gunblogger.

Comment

You're going to need a good video card to watch DVDs. The cheapest video card you can find will not cut it. Getting videos to run at 400 Mhz, good luck.
      Audio Rockford Fosgate: 900 Watt 4-channel amp, 501bd Mono amp
      Computer AMD 2400+ XP, 1 GB DDR RAM, Orbit Micro 250W DC-DC PSU

Head units are for cheaters!
      sure some girls fake orgasms.....but it's guys like me who fake the whole relationship

Comment

Originally posted by lgbr
        You're going to need a good video card to watch DVDs. The cheapest video card you can find will not cut it. Getting videos to run at 400 Mhz, good luck.
        now now, I have an old PIII 500mhz laptop that plays DIVX just fine. DVD's worked fine under 98, skip ocasionally under XP. if its really having a good day (meaning I close EVERYTHING, including explorer), I can even get them to play properly with the TV out enabled.

that said Slitha, get a better computer, higher end P3's are dirt cheap these days.

on budget: your like me. you thought you could throw this system together and be ballin on a budget. sorry, aint gonna happen. cheapest you can put a decent system together for is at least $600. thats why mine is still under construction --> i'm still waiting to get enough funds =)
        2000 Jeep Cherokee
        -CarPC: [»»»»»_____]50% complete
        -planning done, still need a few parts
        -In-dash motorized VGA is finally out, need $$$
        -Need to replace factory HU

Comment

The 350 was only for the lcd touch screen, but aparently they dont' make any that are motorized. now i'm thinkin along the lines of 300 for a good lcd, and i'll see if all sizes fit this manual pull out thing my friend told me about. Well, i know videos work properly on my old comp, but i dunno if i would be better off with a better computer for like the software and if i get gps stuff. thanks for your help. oh, spectrrr, how fast is the minumum that you would suggest? i'd probably need a new motherboard too, so i'd like to keep both combined under like 150ish. thanks.

Comment

Working...
          X