Bought a TFT screen - what is it?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Bought a TFT screen - what is it?

Just bought an in-dash 6,5" TFT screen, but i have a few questions.
    First of, can anybody tell what brand etc. this is?
    All it says on the unit is "TFT color monitor"

Can this be plugged directly to the power in my car? In the (badly writen) manual it says:
    Power Supply: DC 12V
    and in the wiring diagram it says:
    Red to battery +12V

It says nothing about +/- tolerence or anything.

On the red (always live) wire there is a fuse, and a "lump" with something in it (haven't cut it open. yet. see pic.) The funny thing is, when i mesure the resistence of this "lump" it is infenent, but power can still pass through it. If I hook it up to my PSU, its 11,65v before the lump, and 11,1v after.

Sorry about my bad english, hope you can understand...
    And sorry 'bout the pics, it's a crappy nokia 7250i camera :/ If anybody needs more detailed pics I can always find my *real* digicam

Thanks
    Attached Files
    1984 BMW 323i (E30)
    [==========] 90%
    EPIA MII10000
    256MB RAM
    40GB 2,5" HD
    Lilliput 7" TS
    Hacked Travla C134
    Haicom CF GPS

I don't know what brand it is but the red wire does go to the battery (not recommended). I would recommend splicing into a switched 12v wire so the screen actually cuts off with the vehicle. I don't know exactly how the unit is set up so it may require a constant 12v source and turned on/off by the front panel.

The lump is probably a fuse, at least that's what it looks like to me..
    Have you thanked a GI lately? Because the only thing for sure in this world is that freedom isn't free.

Comment

well, the big lump is a fuse, seems strange that there would be 2 fuses on the line.

The unit has a seperet ACC wire, so it is powered off when the car is off. I'm just wondering if there is some sort of regulator in it. The manual says both "to battery" and "+12v" so I am a little nervous here....
      1984 BMW 323i (E30)
      [==========] 90%
      EPIA MII10000
      256MB RAM
      40GB 2,5" HD
      Lilliput 7" TS
      Hacked Travla C134
      Haicom CF GPS

Comment

I dunno man.. looks like a barrel fuse.. It does seem strange but who knows..

And since the unit does have a +12v and a ACC wire then the 12v constant is to retain memory settings and the switched 12v is to initialize the unit.
        Have you thanked a GI lately? Because the only thing for sure in this world is that freedom isn't free.

Comment

Working...
        X