Anyone want to help me with the tank battery

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Anyone want to help me with the tank battery

Ok this is something I have no experience with and although I have an understanding of what this set up does I have the foggiest idea on where to begin as far as purchasing the right equipment. I'll be using this with an inverter and as far as I know this is okay. Can someone direct me to where I can purchase the nesicary parts to create a tank circuit. I know I need a diode(know nothing about them or which one to get) and a tank battery(know nothing about them or which one to get) and I think a relay(I know a lttle about them but not which one to get) is needed. Anyways help here would be great as my pc isn't surviving crank as of now.
    Thanks
    Jay
    Georgia Area Meet Photos

search ma man...

http://www.mp3car.com/vbulletin/show...t=tank+circuit

there you'll find several tank circuit designs, including my own personal favorite, mine
    car computer rev 5: 8" lilliput and usual suspects

Comment

Yeah I've actually read that like three or four times and have it up currently. I'm just not getting it. I want someone to just tell me the parts to get and once I see them I can hook them up without help....at least I think I can. Your setup seemed like the simplest thing but I have no room for a full sized battery. It seemed like the Ricky guy was referencing something a lot smaller. Was I wrong?
      Georgia Area Meet Photos

Comment

as far as i know it goes like this...

battery ---> big *** diode ---> capacitor ---> computer power supply

~Mike
        Single Member of the "1000 Post and No MP3 Car" Club
        PROJECT ON INDEFINATE HOLD... BOUGHT A HOUSE
        2000 Cavalier Z24 [###-------] Only 30% Done ... Still

Comment

All these knowledable people on this forum and two people respond. Believe me guys if I knew the answers I wouldn't ask. I'm more than willing to give out info on whatever I feel I'm knowledgable at. Check my posts. I can't understand why when I need a little nudge no one's willing to help me excluding robiewp(who told me to search) and mp3z24.
          Georgia Area Meet Photos

Comment

Sorry I Can't Help Ya Man

Originally posted by falconey
            All these knowledable people on this forum and two people respond. Believe me guys if I knew the answers I wouldn't ask. I'm more than willing to give out info on whatever I feel I'm knowledgable at. Check my posts. I can't understand why when I need a little nudge no one's willing to help me excluding robiewp(who told me to search) and mp3z24.
            Perhaps we should have a section with documents showing what you need to do it, and photo'd instructions.

Maybe even a shopping list of parts and where they can be got from or ripped out of, total cost and time to build etc, as well as tools needed and difficulty level (five stars maybe).

I reckon a document repository would be well useful... how many people must want this? I myself have no ability to connect a lightbulb to a battery, but I am willing to learn!

What do you guys think? PDFs would be good as not everyone can write HTML and you don't need Micro$haft apps like word to read them.

VW Mk2 Golf GTI 16V:
            Kenwood KDC-W6527 HU
            Silver Travla C134, Slot Loading DVD/CDRW,
            256MB, VIA Epia MII 12000, Carnetix 60W, Xenarc VGA/Composite TS and a GPS Mouse

Comment

Yea thats the only reason why i havn't done it yet. there are designs that have been tested but there is a lot of conflicting information
              -Jesus- King of Kings Lord of Lords

Comment

Perhaps we should have a section with documents showing what you need to do it, and photo'd instructions.

I agree.

Problem is alot of poeple dont give feedback when they try out an idea...even if it work or not.

I know theres one user here who tried the tank circuit I posted a while ago. I have asked him if all is well for him, seems that hes not interested. Im sure theres other too but cant be bothered to say anything.

Im willing to contribute as much idea as I can together with the others but it just not easy to test it for different setup. The thing is Im not too confident in writing a documentation thats only been tested on my setup.

There are alot of good infos in the forum but they get forgoten...those who missed the thread wont know and will ask the same question all over again. The new thread grows bigger, question asked, questioned answered...eventually the problem get solved when it has been solved already in the past. That thread will again dissappear and the same question get asked again.

Newbies searching the forum does help but it still hard to put all those info together to get the idea what is right and wrong.

Yea thats the only reason why i havn't done it yet. there are designs that have been tested but there is a lot of conflicting information

Again I agree...it happen cause theres too much info in here with no definite answer. Reading new and outdated info is sure to give confusion unless you been following all the relevant thread and know exactly whats going on.

For example, the capacitor vs battery based tank circuit still come up now and again. Although it is now on FAQ done by "starfox" (thanks to him). Am sure theres plenty more infos that need to be on FAQ.

Well to be honest I dont know how such a community can resolve this sort of problem. There are alot of helpful poeple in here but I guess they get abit fed up aswering the same question...and then to find the person being helped dont even bother to reply if the problem got solved or not. Believe it or not feedback is quite important to the helpers.

Im not refering to anyone in particular but it something I noticed in here. As I said I think poeple just need to be more cooperative...IMHO

Comment

as far as i know it goes like this...

battery ---> big *** diode ---> capacitor ---> computer power supply

~Mike

You meant BIG BIG BIG *** CAPACITOR...flames cooming up in a minute

Comment

Why can't you just use a solenoid to isolate the second battery?
                    Run it off a Hot In Run wire from the fuse panel or the radio power wire.

Wouldn't it do everything you need, with a quarter the difficulty?

Kris
                    How Much Horsepower Can I have And Still Go To Heaven?

Comment

Bringing this thread back to life.

Ricky I don't want to run two batteries and I'm willing to try your set up and test it out on my carputer. I need to get this resolved because I hate that I can't just sit using my carputer and then just start the car up. That sucks. The funny thing is when I first installed my setup it would survive crank...I'm assuming this thing must be either killing my battery very slowly or I may need to go to a lower guage wire. It just sucks wiring 4,2, or 0 guage because it's so thick. Ricky if you can tell me the part numbers of the items I need to run your set up I would be willing to get on it asap and I'm more than willing to post results.. Let me know.
                      Georgia Area Meet Photos

Comment

I hate using big *** diodes because of the heat and voltage drop. What would be the drawbacks of this idea? Just use a relay that only switches from car batt to tank batt during crank, then have a diode and resistor from ignition to tank for charging only when running, and maybe a cap before the PSU so it survives the relay switching? I sure I'm missing something important, but what is it?

Comment

I wish I could come up with some sort of answers too. I guess I am holding off until i get my optima wired in the trunk. Right now i just have it in there for when my main battery dies (diehard...yeah right). It has come in handy a few times, actually quite a few times.

Anyhow I have a batter from and APC UPS that i want to use as my tank battery. It is small and would fit in my glove box next to the PSU so.

If you all figure out this tank thing please post a how to so i can be cool like you all
                          -Jesus- King of Kings Lord of Lords

Comment

Curiosity

Your idea can work if I picture it correctly from your descriptions. Basically the relay will switch over from main to backup battery when you crank?

As you are already aware the relay switching from main to backup can have problem. That split second the relay switching over may cause your PC to reboot or crash. True a capacitor will help the situations but then thats just making things complicated...a big capacitor is not cheap thought, they are quite bulky. I cant see it not working but the solutions is not cheap.

UPDATE :

I do agree with the zero voltage drop concept, as you said it is ideal. I have posted a zero voltage drop circuit before...basically its based on diodes as well as relay switching over from main to battery as you crank.

The diodes are there so the PSU doesnt loose the supply completely as the relay switches over. The diodes keep the voltage into the PSU at full amount at any time (less the 0.3-0.7V drop of course). Once the relay switches over then thats when theres no voltage drop at all since it shorts the diode.

As you can see the diodes are only at work for split second...so hardly any heat is generated. The resistor is placed that way so full amount of charging voltage always enter the tank battery...as well as it serve as a current limit.

I have to post all over again as I couldnt find the zero voltage drop tank circuit I posted months and months ago.
                            Attached Files

Comment

Ricky I don't want to run two batteries and I'm willing to try your set up and test it out on my carputer.

Im not too sure what you meant but you do still need an extra battery...well a tank battery anyway.

Give me a few minutes Ill be posting some new ideas based on zero drop tank circuit.

Comment

Working...
                              X