can my sub mess with my comp

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• can my sub mess with my comp

will the magnet mess up my comp and will the vibration mess up my hard drive or anything

If you place the magnet close to the hard drive or a floppy disc, yes it will erase it, and possibly damage it. I would place it as far away from the sub as possible to keep it from getting jarred from vibration.

Comment

The power of a magnetic field depriciates as a function of 1 / r^2. Even if you were to rub your hard drive against the magnent on the sub, it is very unlikely it would damage anything (floppy disks are a different story because they are far thinner). Unless you plan on mounting your hard drive to the sub's magnent, your safe.

I know people on this forum before have mounted their computers inside sub boxes, and as far as I know, they havn't had any problems. You should be fine.

Comment

make sure everything is mounted nicely. I've had a lot of problems with my subs rattling the video card out of place
        Audio Rockford Fosgate: 900 Watt 4-channel amp, 501bd Mono amp
        Computer AMD 2400+ XP, 1 GB DDR RAM, Orbit Micro 250W DC-DC PSU

Head units are for cheaters!
        sure some girls fake orgasms.....but it's guys like me who fake the whole relationship

Comment

Hard drive magnet is not a problem, looks for Leslie's setup, he's got it right close, not a problem.
          My Carputer! (More Car Pics at the end)
          2 Kicker Comp 10"
          Epia M-9000, 256 MB DDR, 120 Gig HD
          Lilliput 7" VGA Touchscreen
          Check it out?!

Comment

its something i worried about when planning my install, but dont worry about it.

Ive got a JL audio 12w6 in the boot about 1 foot away from the carputer, it doesn't do jack to it even up full.

Regards

John

Comment

Originally posted by dank_Army
              Ive got a JL audio 12w6 in the boot about 1 foot away from the carputer

I was thinking about the JL audio 12w6 for my setup. What type of amp are you using to push it, and how is the quailty. I only need one 12 inch, because the other speakers should compensate.

Comment

Has anyone seen a need to protect the hard drive from outside vibrations, such as speed bumps not too fast but not to slow? Or when climbing or leaving a curb?

Comment

Good information to know. Thanks. Anyone got a reply to kdunn's comment about vibration. The only thing that I can think of is mounting it vertical to prevent platter crashing.

EDIT: Since a sub won't damage the drive I guess it's safe to assume that a 80 or 120mm fan won't hurt it either...?

Derek
                  Progress [||-------]
                  View my Worklog to see some of my progress.
                  Downgraded Progress - Starting with another car... 09/13/06

Comment

Couple 80mm or 120mm fan's definitely won't hurt. Damage due to vibrations are probably the worst offender for killing HDD's in CarPC's. (Short of getting into a high-speed accident while changing MP3 playlists).

Comment

I moved my sub father away recently because I got a custom STi box.
                      I put a JL W6v2 in it that has a huge magnet.

I would worry more about the voltage drop when the bass hits hard more than anything else...

On some songs, with my A/C on and my fog lights, HID's on, and my AWD diff moving my voltage can drop to 11.9 volts or lower and I have a 1 farad cap.

No reboots though and I can survive engine cranks. So the vibrations and magnetic field are the least to worry about. Just secure the box so it doesn't go flying on a turn.
                      SP13000|M2-ATX|512MB DDR400|2.5" 7200RPM S-ATA|Trans-7"|Slim SL DVD-CDRW|KEH 5.1 DSP|SB L!ve Ext|Gyration PowerMate|BT|WiFi|GPS|WinXP|VoomPC
                      GPSing - Digital Speedo
                      Relocating headunit and extending faceplate
                      Button app to Alt-Tab between two programs

Comment

Originally posted by RaviPras
                        I was thinking about the JL audio 12w6 for my setup. What type of amp are you using to push it, and how is the quailty. I only need one 12 inch, because the other speakers should compensate.
                        If you get the JL you can run it at 2ohms or 8ohms.
                        You don't need much watts if you go with 2ohm but the amp will run hotter, and THD will increase, but for a subwoofer, THD won't matter that much.

My 10" W6v2 is running at 2ohms and I had to turn the gain down on my amp cause I don't want to blow it.

JL's are known for good sound quality and a nice SPL.
                        SP13000|M2-ATX|512MB DDR400|2.5" 7200RPM S-ATA|Trans-7"|Slim SL DVD-CDRW|KEH 5.1 DSP|SB L!ve Ext|Gyration PowerMate|BT|WiFi|GPS|WinXP|VoomPC
                        GPSing - Digital Speedo
                        Relocating headunit and extending faceplate
                        Button app to Alt-Tab between two programs

Comment

Working...
                        X