Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

making a list, checking it twice. little help?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• making a list, checking it twice. little help?

i've got a list of parts and then a few questions. I have done a little searching but not extensive so don't cut my head off. ok first off my list

I have a desktop that I'm no longer using. It has a Athlon XP 1900+ (1.6Ghz) with 1G of PC2100 (i think, don't quote me). Anyway I wish to use this proccessor and ram if possible. The only other thing ill be taking from my desktop, if possible, is my 10X DVD-Rom. Now for my list...
    1. Desktop style mini-atx case w/ mobo
    2. 80G HD
    3. Ram(from desktop)
    4. CPU(again, from destop)
    5. Lilliput touchscreen (from the product page =D)
    6. ITPS + PW-70a Combo (again from the product page)
    7. 802.11g/b card
    8. GPS receiver (which i already have for use with my laptop)

I plan on putting the computer under the front passanger seat. With easy access to the dvd-rom and usb ports if needed. Now for the questions
    1. How much heat is a problem while the computer is not in use? I live in Las Vegas so it can get upwards of 150 degrees in my car.
    2. How much do I need to know about electrical engineering to put all this together? I know how to put the computer together, but what do i have to actually do in car?
    3. What do you recommend for putting your LCD in dash? Can I get this done at a stereo shop?
    4. What are the chances I can seriously mess up my car? This is my one big worry. If I put a grand into the computer and fry it, well worse things can happen. But if i destroy the electrical system in my car ill be in deep do-do. haha

Thanks for any help and I hope some other people can get some use from this thread aswell.

P.S. I have a 2002 Honda Civic 2 Door Coupe if that matters.

Originally posted by 702civic
    I plan on putting the computer under the front passanger seat. With easy access to the dvd-rom and usb ports if needed. Now for the questions
    1. How much heat is a problem while the computer is not in use? I live in Las Vegas so it can get upwards of 150 degrees in my car.
    2. How much do I need to know about electrical engineering to put all this together? I know how to put the computer together, but what do i have to actually do in car?
    3. What do you recommend for putting your LCD in dash? Can I get this done at a stereo shop?
    4. What are the chances I can seriously mess up my car? This is my one big worry. If I put a grand into the computer and fry it, well worse things can happen. But if i destroy the electrical system in my car ill be in deep do-do. haha
    1) I don't hink heat would have a huge impact while off. I'd insure a good cooling setup so that it won't get too hot when it's on.
    2) You need a phD! Seriously... The connections are pretty simple. You're connecting power leads from the battery to the P/S with a fuse somewhere in the middle.
    3) It's fabrication work. I'd check around for a local shop that does fab work (some shops will farm it out because they don't want to do it themselves) and ask to see their work. The other option is to get an in-dash LCD. There are in-dash VGA units that are unorderable presently. I'm waiting for one of those for a good clean look in my install.
    4) Unless you b0rk the wiring or attempt to hook into any of the car's electronics, you should be OK. As far as the connections to the car, it's little different than an advanced stereo setup.
    Have you looked in the FAQ yet?
    How about the Wiki?

Under normal circumstances, a signature would go here.

Comment

so i could probably put it all together and then take it to a shop to have it put in.
      with the itps I actually have to wire that to hte mobo? haha

Comment

call me skeptical but I doubt the PW-70A will power your athlon xp 1900+
        otherwise your good to go
        Mine needs to be updated.

Comment

i was thinking that myself.

what mini case/mobo do you guys recommend? I need one that can fit a full size HD hopefully. and 1 or 2 PCI cards fit in the box.

Comment

There is the pentium mini itx m/b

or: there is the new 1.2ghz VIA solution (which includes the processor)

I am not aware of an Athlon mini-itx m/b.

As for a case, the Morex 2699 would seem to be ideal.
            EPoX mATX SocketA w/onboard Geforce4MX / 512MB PC2700 / AthlonXP 1600
            Lilliput / DVDrom / Opus 150W / WD 3.5" 160GB / SB Audigy NX
            XP home / Road Runner / iGuidance 4.0

Comment

Do you really need 1G of RAM? What OS will you be running??

I'm running 512mb in mine and it seems that's plenty. I know others will tell you even 256mb will fit the bill. Remember the name of the game is not using too much power. 1G of RAM will not help that.

Just a thought.
              Progress Meter:

[|||||!||||'] 95% complete

It's in... it's finally installed!!!! But never finished!

"It works! It works! I've finally invented something that works!" -- Doctor Emmit Brown

Comment

Originally posted by pip
                There is the pentium mini itx m/b

or: there is the new 1.2ghz VIA solution (which includes the processor)

I am not aware of an Athlon mini-itx m/b.

As for a case, the Morex 2699 would seem to be ideal.
                Links are dead.

Comment

thanks for all the answers.

i don't plan on using all the ram, i was just saying that's what's in it. all i plan on using my carputer for is music, movie every once in a while and a little wardriving. so i think 256 should be fine.

Comment

Working...
                  X