i'm new, just need a bit of help here :P

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• i'm new, just need a bit of help here :P

hey guys, saw some guys install of a pc in his audi, so thought i'd try the same thing..
    main uses of the pc will be:
    1. control cds - play mp3s etc
    2. play games via a 7inch widescreen tv (already setup)
    3. watch videos via screen

i just want to know if i can use the current setup i have in my bedroom in my car..
    it issss...
    ASUS P4S800 motherboard
    Nvidia GeForce FX 5900 Ultra
    Built in soundcard.
    120gig harddrive
    1gig ram (kingston)

i can use a smaller 10 gig harddrive, and 512 ram aswell if needed, but i just want to know if its possible to use these part, or will i have to use other parts..
    basically just need to know which parts i can use from this site to get this setup working in my car.. OR

tell me which parts i need to create a new setup, i'm not bothered really about performance, but it needs to have at least 10gig hdd for my mp3s, and enough from to install windows XP

i hope you understand what i'm trying to ask because i really want to get a pc in my car to control all multimedia aspects of it.. cheers!

You can put any PC in a car, that one will be fine, the only limitation is power, so your CPU speed would be useful.

You need to read around the power supply board and decide on a DC-DC based power supply or an ivnerter based one. You may need to get an external sound card if you get bad interference, otherwise that stuff'll do.
    Mods: 18" Boss rims,Twin custom stainless exhaust,cold air induction.
    Sound: Pioneer 7400 HU & 6x9's,12" Vibe Sub,600W Kenwood amp.
    CarPC: MicroATX, Inverter, WinTV, Lilliput 7", USB GPS
    http://www.no1knows.com/galleries/

Comment

Originally posted by cus
      hey guys, saw some guys install of a pc in his audi, so thought i'd try the same thing..
      main uses of the pc will be:
      1. control cds - play mp3s etc
      2. play games via a 7inch widescreen tv (already setup)
      3. watch videos via screen

i just want to know if i can use the current setup i have in my bedroom in my car..
      it issss...
      ASUS P4S800 motherboard
      Nvidia GeForce FX 5900 Ultra
      Built in soundcard.
      120gig harddrive
      1gig ram (kingston)

i can use a smaller 10 gig harddrive, and 512 ram aswell if needed, but i just want to know if its possible to use these part, or will i have to use other parts..
      basically just need to know which parts i can use from this site to get this setup working in my car.. OR

tell me which parts i need to create a new setup, i'm not bothered really about performance, but it needs to have at least 10gig hdd for my mp3s, and enough from to install windows XP

i hope you understand what i'm trying to ask because i really want to get a pc in my car to control all multimedia aspects of it.. cheers!

You made find that you need a better sound card. While some systems have decent onbard sound cards, other suck. Also, how do you plan to get the sound from the pc to the car speakers? Amp or head unit? Regarless, you will need adapters. There are mixed feelings on the power supply issue. Some prefer inverters and standard type pc power supplies, while others prefer DC-DC power supplies. Inverter and standard is the cheaper route. You will need a monitor (I see you have one already, but you may want a touchscreen?), and cables to extend monitor from trunk to passenger compartment. Are you going to mount the screen in the dash or use an existing bracket? What about mouse/keyboard? Are you going to extend, or get a wireless/RF setup? How are you going to power the pc on? How are you going to use the DVD/CD player? Will it be in the trunk, or remote (in the dash)?

You've got a lot of planning to really determine how your setup needs to be. Base specs seem fine, but you are missing most of the details that add up to a lot of additional cost.

Batman
      Attached Files
      [email protected]
      www.samshomepage.net

Comment

right, i'm glad u ask those questions because i completely forgot!
        first of all..
        processor - pentium 4 2.77ghz
        input - wireless keyboard and mouse
        power - thats where you lot come in please
        sound card - built in, but if i get interference, i can use my creative external card
        screen - built into the dash already see pic below (already wired to ps2, but getting rid of that)
        sound - i have an amp setup already, the amp runs 4 x speakers and 1 sub. its a 6 channel amp, and will run the sound directly to it
        cd/dvd player - i have a built in one, which i will mount in the boot horizontally with the pc BUT i have over 5,800+ songs on the hdd that i will just use that, also, 40+ films are on there. the cd player will be used as a back up, in case i dont have a song my mates request
        updating the system - i will be using wireless lan to connect to my mums computer to get updates etc..

everything mentioned above i already own, its just the power that i need to sort out, so i need need for you people to tell me the best way to power my system.

btw, i have a lot of experience wiring various products, and know everything like running speaker and power cables on opposite sides of the car..

hope this explains more

Comment

btw, the screen is now reupholstered in alcantara trim, so looks alot better!

Comment

anyone know which option is the best for powering this? thankyou

also, do the products come with setup instructions?? cheers people!

Comment

Cus,

I personally run a 300w inverter and a 300w standard ATX power supply. Alot easier to replace if it breaks on vacation or anywhere else. Any best buy, compusa, or computer shop has the parts to get you back up and running on the spot. If as DC-DC goes out, you will not be able to use your system until the new power supply is shipped to you. Also, if you need more power because you run fans, lights, etc... all you have to do is pick up a bigger power supply. Can't do that with an opus.

Batman
              Attached Files
              [email protected]
              www.samshomepage.net

Comment

cheers batman great help.. so i need both inverter and power supply?

where in the UK can i get these items from? or do you know anywher that ships to the UK for a little charge of course??
                tyhankyou for the help mate!

Comment

OH BTW, batman, is your inverter run directly to your battery? and if so, does it stay on if you turn the engine on/off etc.. i already have one to run my PS2, so i can use that, but it plugs into my cigarette light, so i want to cut the wires and wire it directly to the battery, just wondering if i need to fuse it, or if the use is in the box and not the cigarette light end bit...

Comment

another person gets the bug .... welcome to the masses
                    Dual Lilliput's 70NP/C/T
                    Syntax SV266AD KT266A
                    AMD Athlon XP 2000
                    Viking 256MB DDR
                    D-Link Wireless 802.11B
                    Seagate 120GB
                    OrbitMicro 250W DC/DC converter
                    SII Wireless Audio Link
                    Digimoto OBD-II
                    Earthmate GPS
                    BU-303 USB GPS
                    D-Link Bluetooth

Comment

cheers! haha, i love doing my car up! already stripped the back seats out, got some buckets in the front, have a ps2 and tv, but just want a pc, plus the built in tv, and possibly a removable touch screen tv in the middle of the dash, and also a bluetooth remote control, and plenty of neons to show it all off. i have spent all night drawing loads of diagrams and getting a massive list of all the parts i need.. so i'm happy! wahoo. very nice site here, just be kind as i'm new to this :P

Comment

Originally posted by cus
                        OH BTW, batman, is your inverter run directly to your battery? and if so, does it stay on if you turn the engine on/off etc.. i already have one to run my PS2, so i can use that, but it plugs into my cigarette light, so i want to cut the wires and wire it directly to the battery, just wondering if i need to fuse it, or if the use is in the box and not the cigarette light end bit...
                        Yes and No, from the battery I go into an inline fuse (Like for an amp), then the wire contines to the trunk to a 12v relay. Ground wire is attached from relay to grounding point on body. Power wire and ground then continue to inverter. Inverter is always switched on. One last wire attaches to the relay, it is from the switch on my dash. It sends the signal to the relay to allow the main power line to go directly to the inverter. This in turn becomes the remote on/off switch.

Yes, the inverter / pc stays on until I physically turn it off.

Yes, you can cut the end of of your inverter and wire it directly to the battery

Batman
                        [email protected]
                        www.samshomepage.net

Comment

thankyou i will make sure that the inverter is fused, if not, i will add my own fuse. what size fuse have you used?

also, instead of using a relay. i am going to wire up lots of switches to the dash, switches will include.. 'reset' 'startup/shutdown' 'fan' 'neon' these are all present on my computer already.. the fan toggle switch changes the speed of the fan and the neon button turns the neons on and off. very simple, and also very easy
                          thankyou very much for your help. i will get back to you and post pictures as i go on with thebuild. i have spent alot of time doing this, and will spend another couple of months getting equipment and planning it before i start. this really is gonna be something special though trust me.. i dont do things by halves!`

Comment

very nice setup btw batman, i really like it!

Comment

Working...
                            X