Ready to purchase, input please!

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Ready to purchase, input please!

Well, my original specs for a carpc have changed 30 times since I first came to these forums, and here I sit, still indecisive on the hardware I want/need, and I have $600.00 in paypal and $150.00 in my pocket to spend on this thing and I am looking for input as I most likely will be ordering it all tonight!
    My carputer will mainly be for mp3/ogg dvd/divx playback. But future plans of a rearview camera and possibly a gps system might be in store for me.
    So far here is what I am considering:
    VIA EPIA EM 6000 from idotpc.com
    ITX-PA/M Aluminum Cube Case also from idotpc.com
    SB Audigy 2 from eBay. I don't mind second hand parts so long as they work. I'll probably hold off on the card at first though to make sure I have enough money for all my other supplies.
    7" Lilliput TS from mp3car.com
    CNX-P1260 DC-DC that Confused mentioned to me, thanks BTW! You don't need an ITPS with this right? Even for the Lilliput?
    I have hard drives and memory and other such things.
    Anyone have anything to add? Any other suggestions on saving a buck or two? Am I missing anything important?
    Thanks guys, you've been a big help. I'll post pics of my ION when I get it all installed.

looks good except for the VIA EPIA EM 6000, that will probably struggle with dvd's/divx (not sure, maybe the "mpeg 2 accelerator" fixes this?). Even if it does tackle the problem with hardware, spending a little extra for a faster via seems worth it.

looked on via's site and it says the mpeg 2 provides "smooth dvd playback". It looks like a hardware dvd thing, so you would probably be screwed with divx.
    My Mazda 3s

My Mazda 3s on Car Domain

[||||||||||||||||||--] (90%)

Comment

Good point, I'll keep that in mind. Was looking at one of their 800mhz boards but they lacked USB2.0, though I doubt that will make much of a differance to me, just thought it would be handier. But a USB2.0 hub will work in an old style USB slot, only the speed slows down right? And I can connect usb2.0 devices to it and they will run?

Originally posted by vcbb5
      looks good except for the VIA EPIA EM 6000, that will probably struggle with dvd's/divx (not sure, maybe the "mpeg 2 accelerator" fixes this?). Even if it does tackle the problem with hardware, spending a little extra for a faster via seems worth it.

looked on via's site and it says the mpeg 2 provides "smooth dvd playback". It looks like a hardware dvd thing, so you would probably be screwed with divx.

Comment

Good choices, but I would check which power supply that case has. To use the Carnetix product, you ideally need the Morex 55W PSU inside it, as that is what it is designed for. You may get away with the power supply that is in it, but make sure it has the right connectors. Email Mike @ Carnetix to double-check with him that it will be OK before ordering And no, the ITPS (ITuner Piece of ***** ) isn't needed with the CNX-P1260, it is a better alternative to the ITPS

I too agree with vcbb5, the M6000 may struggle a bit with DivX, try to step it up to the M10000 You won't be disappointed later on

Garry
        Co-Developer of A.I.M.E.E
        www.aimee.cc

Comment

Good point, I'll keep that in mind. Was looking at one of their 800mhz boards but they lacked USB2.0, though I doubt that will make much of a differance to me, just thought it would be handier. But a USB2.0 hub will work in an old style USB slot, only the speed slows down right? And I can connect usb2.0 devices to it and they will run?
          True on usb2.0. The 800mhz will also struggle with divx. I would just save yourself headache and get an m1000 (very popular, has usb 2.0) or better. Also make sure it is Nehemiah core, it's faster and better (m1000 has that).

PS. Directron has m1000 for 158.90 shipped.
          My Mazda 3s

Comment

Okay, so once again my setup changes.
            I'll take the advice given and get the M10000
            Wow, the board and Lilliput hit me up for $450.00, pushing my budget here
            Morex 2677 and CNX-P1260 for roughly $160.00
            Total of $610.00
            I can handle that, unless that mobo can accept PC133 memory then I'll be stuck getting some DDR, 256MB of Kingston goes on ebay for about $30.00
            case accepts a 3.5 HDD so that'll suffice until I can afford a slim type to save on power in the future. Looks like I'm all set.
            Anyone else have something to add?

Comment

Yes, the M10000 is a DDR board, so it won't accept PC133 ram

Comment

make sure morex has regulated 12v (probably does, im just to lazy to check).
                My Mazda 3s

Comment

where are you mounting this?
                  My Mazda 3s

Comment

wait, if your getting a cube, get a shuttle. I was able to get a refurb from newegg for 135 + a $75 moblie processor. You can get way more power, if you have the space
                    My Mazda 3s

Comment

Originally posted by vcbb5
                      where are you mounting this?
                      In my trunk, right next to my amps about 4 feet from my battery (which is in my trunk) and 2 feet from my cat.... erm.... nevermind that

BTW, I just saw this board
                      http://www.directron.com/directron/viaepiav1000a.html
                      1GHz and only $98.00
                      the USB thing is not an issue for me, unless anyone has heard anything bad about this board, I'll probably get it instead of the M10000 so long as it fits with everything else

Comment

Look around on the Epia, got my Epia M-9k (plays DivX fine with divx codedc5.05 from Oldversion.com, DVD's take a little fiddling with) for $80 at frys.
                        My Carputer! (More Car Pics at the end)
                        2 Kicker Comp 10"
                        Epia M-9000, 256 MB DDR, 120 Gig HD
                        Lilliput 7" VGA Touchscreen
                        Check it out?!

Comment

Originally posted by brandon
                          BTW, I just saw this board
                          http://www.directron.com/directron/viaepiav1000a.html
                          1GHz and only $98.00
                          the USB thing is not an issue for me, unless anyone has heard anything bad about this board, I'll probably get it instead of the M10000 so long as it fits with everything else
                          That is NOT Nehemiah core, and not nearly as good.
                          My Mazda 3s

Comment

Info on shuttle:

Granted power consumption will be a little more (less with a mobile processor), but they make a $200 made-for-shuttle opus too. The one i got (sk41g) was 135 refurb (none availible right now, new is $165). If you play your cards right, you can come very close to the price on a slower via.
                            My Mazda 3s

Comment

But if it can handle DivX decoding and mp3 playback then I'll be satisfied, working on a strict budget, just paid for my Lilliput and my paypal accound is dropping in size quickly.
                              If I get it and in the future I am not happy with it, hopefully I'll have more funds at my disposal and can then get a better board. Right now I am looking at getting these items and having my carputer running, I'm not a patient man
                              Obviously you guys have more experience in these matters than I, if you tell me it will not do what I am want then I'll take your word for it, but $50.00 bucks is alot of extra money to me right now to spend on getting a differant board. Not trying to sound like an *** here, I'm just wanting to get this thing built and be under my current budget.

Comment

Working...
                              X