Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• OPUS or Carnetix

I am having real issues right now

Can somebody please just list what I need to buy, I don't care what does what and how much it costs. I just want it.

I know plenty about computers, I am just confused with needing to buy additional power supplies(Carnetix) when half of the cases come with 60w PSU's in them. What is the purpose? It says they are DC....

It seems to me like I would be better off just getting a MOBO/Case with no power supply and instead picking up a 150w OPUS.. Am I wrong in this thinking?

So if someone could please just compile a list of the most popular components needed in building a system, I'm sure it would help alot of the noobs here.

i.e.
    EPIA M10000 Nehemiah $159.00
    OPUS 150w $199.00
    blahblah Case $100.00
    etc. etc.

Thanks!

Originally posted by JDLoaner
    I don't care what does what and how much it costs. I just want it.
    Chill dude. Relax and take you're time or you are gonna have a FUBARed carputer.

So if someone could please just compile a list of the most popular components needed in building a system
    Chill dude. Relax and take you're time. This type of thing can't be rushed. If you're in a hurry buy an off-the-shelf-system. Trust me, you don't want someone to tell you what to make. Read a bit. the forums. You've been a member for what, like an hour? Learn about everything and make choices based on what you want out of the system. Have some pride in what you do.
    ,./(0)3

'04 Canyon 4x4 pickup

[---PC on hold----working on external fiberglass "tool" box---]

Comment

Just buy an OPUS for the power supply then build it like a regular computer. The only thing you have to keep in mind is to keep power requirements low. i.e. don't put in more then 1 hard drive and try to keep all the peripherials integrated on the motherboard.
      StreetDeck.com Developer (I am Chuck)
      Get StreetDeck at http://www.streetdeck.com
      The Official StreetDeck Forums have moved, please visit us at http://www.streetdeck.com/forum for official support for Streetdeck.

Comment

First of all i'm not saying that I am in a rush and just because I registered up today doesn't mean that I haven't read anything.

Second of all, why do I need to chill and relax and take time to think about my decision. I'm not picking out a wife, it's a computer and I was simply looking for a brief explination about the PSU situation.

I just thought it would be helpful to all the noobs, to have a general list of parts for a complete machine.

Instead i've got you wasting thread space by telling me to "chill dude" and how "these things can't be rushed" and that I need to take pride in my work.

My suggestion to you, put down the bong and toss the keyboard to somebody who has something usefull to say.

Comment

Originally posted by god_of_cpu
          Just buy an OPUS for the power supply then build it like a regular computer. The only thing you have to keep in mind is to keep power requirements low. i.e. don't put in more then 1 hard drive and try to keep all the peripherials integrated on the motherboard.
          Thanks for the simple reply, I was about to on EBFoxbat

Comment

I know plenty about computers, I am just confused with needing to buy additional power supplies(Carnetix) when half of the cases come with 60w PSU's in them. What is the purpose? It says they are DC....
            The DC PSU's that come with all the cases are designed to accept regulated 12V from an external brick. The power in your car varies from 11V to 14-15V depending if your engine is running or not and the condition of the battery and alternator. This is what the Carnetix does. It is not an ATX PSU rather that a 12V regulator with shutdown controller and some other nice features.
            You can check it out here :

http://www.carnetix.com/CNXP1260.html

It seems to me like I would be better off just getting a MOBO/Case with no power supply and instead picking up a 150w OPUS.. Am I wrong in this thinking?
            Depends on how much you want to spend. OPUS 150W is around $220 while Carnetix's CNX-P1260 is around $85. If money is no issue then go for the OPUS.

So if someone could please just compile a list of the most popular components needed in building a system, I'm sure it would help alot of the noobs here.

i.e.
            EPIA M10000 Nehemiah $159.00
            OPUS 150w $199.00
            blahblah Case $100.00
            etc. etc.

Thanks!
            It's a matter of personal taste but the most popular are the EPIA's and OPUS PSU's, the forum and you'll find your answers.

Just my 2 euro-cents.

Comment

Second of all, why do I need to chill and relax and take time to think about my decision. I'm not picking out a wife,
              Chill dude!

Your computer is much more important than a wife! (Don't tell the wife I said that! )
              Laidback

The ultimate CarPC - Wow!

Comment

...So if someone could please just compile a list of the most popular components needed in building a system, I'm sure it would help alot of the noobs here...
                Well you've pretty much already listed it. The average system around here is probably:

-EPIA M10000 mainboard utilizing all onboard components (sound and video)
                -probably 256 MB RAM
                -hard drive of your preferred size (maybe a notebook drive if you're paranoid and don't mind spending more)
                -DVD-ROM of choice, preferably a slim drive with slot load, but desktop size and/or tray loading are also common(depending on how much room you have)
                -OPUS PSU
                -USB goodies, ie. WiFi and GPS receiver

I would assume most people would custom build their case depending on where you're putting it etc. People throw other things in there too depending on what they want (a better sound card, or a better video card etc.) HTH.

Comment

Thanks for the simple reply, I was about to on EBFoxbat
                  Welcome to the threads.

Take pride in your work.
                  ,./(0)3

'04 Canyon 4x4 pickup

[---PC on hold----working on external fiberglass "tool" box---]

Comment

Originally posted by EBFoxbat
                    Welcome to the threads.

Take pride in your work.
                    Thanks for the insight bro...

<--Now go find your pipe

Comment

Like people said in this thread already. This is a way to express yourself... I myself I'm building a regular computer with a 110 Watt power, and a 165 Watt inverter. I got two square kicker 1200 Watt subs, 150 Watt new tweaters, 1600 Watt amp, delorme usb gps, and the computer is just a pentium III, with 256 MB or Ram and win 2003 server.

Ok.. so I read and then I look around and saw what I could build... then I decided... and started building.. I recommend doing the same. Good luck and make sure to show off your project in this forums.

Comment

One mroe question

Opus is 200$ for 150W and the goodies to sequence it with your ignition

But I found this at 100$ which is way cheaper and seems to do the same
                        http://cgi.ebay.ca/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?...490737239&rd=1

can someone light me on this to see if it's all good or I should pay double for the Opus?

Etienne

Comment

you could search these forums for 24hours straight and still not read all the information on ITPS vs Opus vs Carnetix, I know I did, and in the end I opted for a Morex case with builtin Morex PSU and a Carnetix.
                          If you have the extra money to spend on an Opus go for it, if you feel you need 150 watts, personally I don't see me using more than 50 wats in the near future so I opted for the Carnetix & Morex PSU

Comment

<--Now go find your pipe
                            You have problem with people smoking pot?

Michael
                            "It does not understand, if it does not ride."

M10000, 512 Mb, 2,5" 40G, Slim DVD, Opus 90W, Xenarc 7", Leadtek 9532 GPS,
                            RoadRunner, MapMonkey, Pioneer HU, Pioneer 4 ch 400W, Kappa 6.5, Basslink X 200W

Comment

I am having the same problems that the original poster is having. Unlike him money is a factor for me. Most cases that you see are about 80-100 dollars and these include a power supply. Now if I buy that case and a carnetix that is about 160-180 dollars. However, an Opus 90w PSU is 160 dollars. So If I could find a case that came without a power supply (say for 40 dollars) I could get the Opus (which I am assuming is better) for only a few more dollars then a carnetix. So, two questions. What do you guys think about this and do you know where I can find a small case that looks cool (I like the Morex 3688) without a power supply included.
                              Jason (first time poster)
                              My obligatory progress meter.
                              [|||||||||||||||||||-] = 95%
                              Basic Install done and all bugs fixed.
                              Need: GPS, OBD

Comment

Working...
                              X