I need help from all you Pro's

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I need help from all you Pro's

Can you experienced people help me set up a carputer. I don't know ***** about computers but i really want a carputer. I am willing to spend $500 is that to much or to little? Can it be compatable with my subwoofer and my amp? How do you get dvd/gps/music on a carputer? I need to know what i need to buy to make my carputer. and also how to install it into my Nissan titan. Is there shops that do install and make carputers in cali?
    -thanks guys

Use the "Search" button you n00b
    CarPC status: iPod, 3,456,217 songs so **** you

Comment

It will depend on how much you to do and what kind of setup you are looking for, but $500 is probably rather low. One 7" LCD screen will take half of that. Professional installation will not be cheap either. I have a lot of the parts already, but I've got close to that figure in mine already. (Screen $250, sound card $60, amp $50, currently non-functioning DIY power supply $40 in parts, USB hub $10, slot load slim Cd drive $20.) I already had a mini computer w/AMD 500MHz, TV card, wireless keyboard, etc. As for the other questions, you should and read up, there is a huge amount of info here.

Comment

I do search but i dont understand what you guys are talking about.
        So will $650 do? And dont want to install the LCD myself because i am not really good with installing that kinda of stuff to my car, you think a shop can do it?

Comment

If you know nothing about computers $500 in labor won't even help you.
          Basically every part is broken up into forum sections here, take the time and search. And what do you mean your not good with that kinda stuff? If you can't run wires and install your own screen then I hope you have a Car Audio friend, otherwise it'll cost you up the *** in install fees.

You'll need more like $1300 +- to get a decent setup, atleast this is what I quote to all my friends that want a carputer. You can cut out here or there but $1300! Plus in your case the cost of install and who knows what a shop would charge.
          Mine needs to be updated.

Comment

Ya there is a whole section for Newbies. One of the stickies explaines all of the basics and what you will need. I have a fairly nice carputer setup and it cost around $900-$1000. Every little part adds up to be a lot of money. Just read through the posts in this forum for awhile and you will catch on.
            AMD XP 2600+/512MB RAM/120GB hard drive
            Opus 150W/DVD/GPS/7" Lilliput TS/802.11g/Bluetooth
            Installed.

-GPSSecure- - GPS Tracking
            -AltTabber2.2.2- - Handy touchscreen utility.

Comment

also it should be said that if you're not comfortable building your own computer from scratch components, then you need to look into a prebuilt system. that will not be available with your $500 or $600 budget. even in parts alone, I don't think any of us has managed $500-$600. screen will run you $200 at the very least, power supply will run you at least $100. motherboard, memory, harddrive, will set you back prob another 200-300. and you're over budget right there. that doesn't even include the rest of the stuff that's required like gps,wireless keyboard/mouse, a cdrom drive, etc etc etc.

Comment

Originally posted by krystar
                also it should be said that if you're not comfortable building your own computer from scratch components, then you need to look into a prebuilt system. that will not be available with your $500 or $600 budget. even in parts alone, I don't think any of us has managed $500-$600. screen will run you $200 at the very least, power supply will run you at least $100. motherboard, memory, harddrive, will set you back prob another 200-300. and you're over budget right there. that doesn't even include the rest of the stuff that's required like gps,wireless keyboard/mouse, a cdrom drive, etc etc etc.
                and cables and crap to install all the cableing.... Excpect to pay $200 for the power supply and $300 for the screen. Just like krystar said: if you don't know how to build your own computer then paying for a prebuilt one will cost you even more.
                AMD XP 2600+/512MB RAM/120GB hard drive
                Opus 150W/DVD/GPS/7" Lilliput TS/802.11g/Bluetooth
                Installed.

-GPSSecure- - GPS Tracking
                -AltTabber2.2.2- - Handy touchscreen utility.

Comment

advice: go get an alpine or clarion headunit and burn mp3's on cdr's instead! hehe

Comment

Although its not the most popular way of doing it, you may be able to keep it under 500, or at least around that number this way:

1.Find an old computer that has either an AT (not ATX) power supply, or capabilities to power up after power loss
                    2.buy an inverter that is strong enough to power the desktop pc
                    3.buy an fm modulator
                    4.buy a screen

I found a 7" lilliput ts for 265 after shipping, an fm mod will set you back about 40. If you can buy an inverter and a old scrapped pc for 200, and throw in a little extra for the wiring...you'll have it, but most likely it wont do much without some modification on the pc side...

Good Luck

here's what I did:
                    700 watt inverter in trunk (mine set me back around 100, but if you are only going to run a pc, you could probably get away with a 300, which can set you back as little as 30-40), with a switch to turn it on and off on my dash

IBM 333mhz, 64MB ram, 40GB HDD (someone was throwing it away with a bad hdd, I added the 40GB hdd)

fm mod.

7"lilliput

This is enough to create a mobile 40gb mp3 player, but I intend sometime next month to put wireless internet, gps, and dvd on the car...plus figure out how to fit that screen into my dash where my headunit once resided (had to put my head unit in my glovebox to make room)

It may be possible to do the job for that pricerange (as I originally tried to do), but if you are willing to put a little time into learning about what you are trying to do, you will be able to save money on install by doing some of it yourself, and be able to apply more money into the computer itself.

Comment

Originally posted by mugen99
                      Can you experienced people help me set up a carputer. I don't know ***** about computers but i really want a carputer. I am willing to spend $500 is that to much or to little? Can it be compatable with my subwoofer and my amp? How do you get dvd/gps/music on a carputer? I need to know what i need to buy to make my carputer. and also how to install it into my Nissan titan. Is there shops that do install and make carputers in cali?
                      -thanks guys
                      I recommend not embarking on this project until you can at least find your way around a computer or have someone helping you that can.
                      Troubleshooting a computer when it starts up and then behaved erratically isn't for a n00b.
                      No offense.

As far as shops? I'll bet there are places that could do the work you want.
                      And I wouldn't expect to even get parts for your $500-650 price point.
                      I'm anticipating about $1000 in parts for mine, not including car audio (amp(s) & speaker upgrade).
                      Have you looked in the FAQ yet?
                      How about the Wiki?

Under normal circumstances, a signature would go here.

Comment

You need somewhere to start with. You at least need some computer knowledge. A lot would be nice. Carputers take a broad knowledge of software, computers, and electronics/hardware, the newbie section doesnt even cover all of this. I don't know what to tell you other than what krystar said...get a mp3 headunit
                        CarPC install is starting to come along again...

Comment

If you really want a carputer, I can build you one in that range with a character lcd and then later on when you get more money you can upgrade to a ts lcd.
                          Kefka_Killer.owns(you);

Comment

You have to understand...budget Carputer = budget result.

Don't expect to pay $500-$600 and expect $1000-$10,000 result.

If you don't mind having a getto setup (some examples are on finished product section) Then just spend just that much.

Comment

Let me help you out a little bit since you seemed dazed at the moment. In your case Im assuming you have moderate, if any, knowledge of how to build a computer. If my assumption is correct then $500 - $650 will just not do. As stated previously the more money put into the system will more often result in a more efficient system. A solution to this problem as stated previously is to have spare parts lying around so that you do not have to purchase additional items. (items: ie Hardrive, memory, motherboard)

When I started building my system I was also hoping to spend no more than $700, but as i soon realized that cost would just not be sufficient for my envisioned setup. I will list products i purchased combined with s&h to give you a rough estimate of what to expect to pay when building a sytem from complete scratch.

For the screen
                              I got the liliput touchscreen lcd that is available from mp3car.com for 289.99
                              alternative options for a display may include a cheaper lcd screen withlout touchscreen capabilities or a simple lcd character display.

For the motherboard
                              I went with the epia m 10000. This was purchased with free shipping for $153.00
                              Alternative options are many other mb's made by via, or similar disrtibutors. Or one could also have an old or idle computer lying around and can completely bypass the building of a system.

Now if you dont have an old system or motherboard lying around and wish to have an lcd with touchscreen your looking at a total of $442 give or take $20-$30.

If you do have an old or idle system available to use then stop reading and go buy yourself an inverter and lcd of your choice... If you are still intrigued continue reading.

Harddrive
                              Some people use 2.5" hd's and some 3.5" hd's. The 2.5" use less power and that is a concern for some. If this topic interests you then start readin the power supply section.

Now of course this can be free of cost to you,,, if you have an old or idle hd lying around.... Unfortunately for me i did not so i bought a 160 gb hd for $92.00.. Yes 160 gb is a little overkill but i liked the price it was offered at so i bought it... You could probably get away with a 20-40 gb hdfor more than half of the price i paid.

Memory
                              If you got memory compatible use it... if not buy it
                              I got a 256 mb one for 51.00

Dvd drive
                              Assuming you want to watch dvd in the car youll need one of these
                              once again much cheaper if you have one lying around... Luckily my sony dru 500a burner was idle so i was able to use it in my setup...

Once again power may be an issue you may want to research upon as I do not have the time to do so.

If you need a simple dvd drive im sure youll be able to ebay one for less than $50

So lets see if youve read this far and decide to follow the setup i described youd be looking at around $600

sounds good right ready to go.... but your gonna need a case to house all these components in

Case:
                              I myself am not a tech wiz, in fact i remember failing tech class 20 yrs in a row... well not really but im pretty bad with designing, soldering and cuttting. I decided to stay away from this area and went ahead and bought a premade case. The case was made by chyang fun and cost $75. Now if that price scares you and you decide you will build the case yourself then do so. i did not have the patience nor the will to design my own case, if you do then check out the fabrication section on this website as it has an abundance of useful knowledge concerning this topic.

My assumption youll buy the case as well,, maybe im wrong but your gonna be over that 650 mark you had set . Lets continue

Power

Ok Im not gonna explain what kind of power you need and why you need it... Theres a section devoted to that which will provide much more reliable info than i would.

You could by a cheap inverter to power you system... Basicall hooks into a cigarette adapter in your car. prolly should be less than $50... Disadvantages --- doesnt survive cranking... whats cranking --- thats for us to know and you figure out.

Or you could go buy an opus power supply that is much more expensive but will survive cranking and will provide more shutdown options.

Either way you look at it your gonna spend at least $700-$800 and I have yet to even discuss luxuries at this point such as gps, soundcard, wireless networking, amplifier, xtra speakers, bluetooth phones, xm radio, etc, etc, etc

It is true you can make your system as expensive as you want it or you could make it as cheap as you want,,, it alll depends on what it is that you want I guess... If you want the luxury items i described then no you wont be able to make it with that budget... if your willing to spare some of the luxury items and have a few parts lying around then it just might be possible.

I hope you actually do get around to read this and that Ive been somehwat helpful... I am by no means an expert on this subject but I continue to learn about this topic almost daily... I do understand however that some people may be swamped with time and do not have the time to read through the forums. Some members in here read so many threads that they claim they can tell the difference in visual quality between the lilliput and xenarc lcd screens, while blindfolded.

Well I threw in my two cents and I hoped that it helped... A bit long and am now thinking i couldve just told you to do a search you bonehead. But i quickly realized that when my friends, heck anyone i see in person who inquires about my car, ask me a bonehead tech question about the setup I dont just tell them theres a ite called m3car.com go search for yourself bonehead..

Im done... Rant Rant... I coudlve gone on forever but Ill stop here

Comment

Working...
                              X