I've started setting up my trunk.

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I've started setting up my trunk.

Well this is my first weekend of "real" work on my car (a 2000 Ford Taurus). Last weekend I made cardboard templates and talking with my friends to ensure everything goes smoothly. That doesn't really count as work. Being the fact that I live in Texas, not a lot of work gets done because it's hot as hell and I don't have a garage or driveway to work in.

I've got 3/4-inch MDF floor and sidewalls. I'll have a Pioneer 12" sub and Pioneer amp covered with Plexiglass in each wall. I'm also toying with the idea of putting a 6x8 Pioneer speaker in each wall (because I have two extra).

The back wall is made of 1/2-inch MDF. The motherboard will be located in the center behind Plexiglass and all the other components will be on the other side of the wall (where you can't see).

There will also be a top peice that my SoundBlaster Extigy will be mounted and maybe some more stuff. I'd don't know yet.

Right now, nothing is secure. My first task is getting the stereo installed in this new setup. Then I will get a motherboard, CPU, memory, and an OPUS. I've already got some stuff as listed below. Everything that can be seen will be carpeted and the subs will have a fiberglass enclosure behind them to give them the airspace that the require.

Whatcha think?

Derek

Thesecond pic is a basic idea that I sent to someone to get their feedback.
    Attached Files
    Progress [||-------]
    View my Worklog to see some of my progress.
    Downgraded Progress - Starting with another car... 09/13/06

A pic that I sent to someone to get their feedback on the idea. Except now the amps will be on the otherside of the MDF.

Derek
    Attached Files
    Progress [||-------]

Comment

MDF is bloody heavy... what about plexi?

Comment

Originally posted by trancified
        MDF is bloody heavy... what about plexi?
        Yeah the MDF isn't light but with all this stuff, I won't need lowering springs (at least for the rear). The amp is going to be mounted so its components can be seen and then covered with .220-inch thick Plexiglass. The motherboard will be placed in a tray behind Plexiglass.

Derek
        Progress [||-------]

Comment

I'd like to see this when it's done, I just need a few more things before I put mine in my 2000.

Comment

Well I now have the amps and subs mounted, the openings cut exposing the amps (for Plexiglass), and I have the MDF secured in the trunk. No wiring has been done this weekend. I didn't have my power distribution block with me but I will be sure to pick it up tomorrow when I visit my storage building. I'll post a pic when I can get my hands on a camera...

Derek
            Progress [||-------]

Comment

Attached Files
              Progress [||-------]

Comment

2. The spot in the back is measure for 12"x12". However, the motherboard that I will probably use is approx 8.5"x8.5". No since in having a 12"x12" peice of Plexi-glass to cover that. Probably what I am going to do is make the cut-out the same size as the ones for the amps (5.5"x7.5"). This way is looks symmetrical to the sides. Also, I will have blue neons shining on the amps and motherboard. Should make for a cool effect.
                Attached Files
                Progress [||-------]

Comment

3. This will make for good equipment mounting spots.
                  Attached Files
                  Progress [||-------]

Comment

MDF issues?

Hi everyone, this is my first post. I am running a Celeron 366\10G\ATI 7200\no-name soundcard\5" VGA colour LCD in my Hyundai Accent.
                    I'm building my first carPC box, enclosing the motherboard\hd\PS. I'll be using FM modulation (not wireless) and a power invertor (until I get\build a dc-dc PS). I'm planning on making a carpet-covered MDF box. Are there any noise issues with using MDF as opposed to metal? I'd like the box to be as hidden as possible so I'm going with a factory carpet covering.
                    look at all the magic smoke...

Small Amp, Big Car
                    8" LCD
                    PC and assorted parts

Comment

Did more work to the car today. I hide some of the wiring a little better. Going to hide some more tomorrow (power and speaker wires to amps). Thought the way I had them ran would have sufficed but using 3/4" split loom looks a lot better. Wired up my 400/800 watt inverter (until I can get an OPUS150). Mounted my GPS receiver. Have to test with with my laptop to see if I get good reception. Mounted my USB hub for 1.1 devices. Hide a bunch of the speakers RCA and USB cables in the structual supports. I also ran the VGA/USB cable for the touchscreen to the front of the car. Tomorrow I should be putting in the PS, mobo, CPU, RAM, wNIC, 2.5" HD, and TS.

Off topic: I got bored today and painted my brakes on the car too.

Derek
                      Progress [||-------]

Comment

Working...
                      X