planning stage is almost complete!

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• planning stage is almost complete!

Ok, here it is. I have been reading for quite a while now, and I finally became a member and decided to post. This sight is filled with so much info, that at times I felt there was too much. I think I am ready to move from the planning stage to the purchase stage. Please let me know if looks like it should work out or if I am way off.

I plan to be able to do all of this at one point with the carputer:
    mp3
    dvd
    gps
    obdII

Here is what I am thinking:
    Via Epia MII 10000
    512 MB DDR DIMM
    60 GB IBM 2.5 HD
    Morex Cubid 3688 Mini ITX Case
    Carnetix CNX-P1260
    Panasonic CW-8123-B slim slot DVD-CDRW
    Lilliput 7" Touch screen
    Sound card - undecided (thinking about soundblaster)
    GPS - undecided

Does this look like there will be any problems that I might run into? Does anyone have any opinions that something might work better?

Also, I have not decided on software. I will most likely use XP. Any opinions on software would be appreciated. I am still reading up on software all over this site.

Anybody know a great place to purchase this stuff? (I am located in California)

Last question: (sorry, I havent had a chance to read up on the GPS yet) Does the GPS operate like a navigation system that you can purchase with new cars?

Thank you for all of your help!

You sure did some reading on the forum
    Looks nice, be sure to post some pics when your installing all the stuff.

Think you made a very good choice with those components. Well personally I would choose a Xenarc LCD, because of better buildquality, but that's only my opinion.

You can always run into trouble somewhere, but you've got it pretty much covered I guess.

Sorry but I can't give you advice on a supplier, being located in Europe.

For the software part, I suggest you try them (all). It's more like a personal thing See which software suits your needs, there is plenty as you can see.
    Why is it drug addicts and computer afficionados are both called users?

Currently : Audi A6 - no install

Second install : VW Passat '97 CarPC
    First install : '87 Audi 80 CarPC

Comment

Originally posted by proTONEd
      Well personally I would choose a Xenarc LCD, because of better buildquality, but that's only my opinion.

I think I might still research the Xenarc LCD a bit more before I purchase the Lilliput. I have heard good and bad things about both. I am very concerned a picture quality and want to make the right decision for this.

Thank you for your feedback. I appreciate it very much!

Comment

if you are going for windows use xp ( ur system will hack it)
        f u want to try something new with your system running faster and more effectively try a linux distro ( but only if u like steep learning curves)

i would recomend gentoo if you have the time to read up on it ( i used it myslef for a short while) tho it takes a lot of research ( unless u have a m8 who is into it)+ it is free and u cant be done for illegal coppies
        amd k6-2 450
        64 meg ram
        5 gig hdd
        all in an old bit of metal
        all for under £20

and now a 500watt inverter for £20
        thats £40 in total
        not too bad for a noob

Comment

how come everybody wants an Epia when you can't get the screen's native resolution on it?

I mean, I also was really into Epia not long ago, but after reading that it can't go 800x480 and 848x480 is not very good, I wonder why everybody wstill use this instead of something else where you can set custom resulution

Etienne

Comment

Originally posted by podcake
            if you are going for windows use xp ( ur system will hack it)
            Yes, I think I am going to run XP on the system. Are you saying the system will hack XP, or other windows?

Originally posted by MrSpace
            how come everybody wants an Epia when you can't get the screen's native resolution on it?
            Well, the reason I am going with the EPIA is because of size limitations. I want everything to look completely stock and nothing visible except the LCD during use. The EPIA allows me a lot of functionality from a minimal size board. If you have any recommendations that would be a good substitute, please let me know.

Thank you to everyone for your feedback. Also, if anyone knows of a good place to purchase, I would like to hear about it.

Comment

even with powerstrip it can't go 800x480?

Comment

I've tried Powerstrip. It's very buggy. The screen kept on blacking out. Are there some settings that I'm missing? I have the epia m10000 and a Lilliput. Even if I got the 848x480 would be nice.

Thanks in advance,

Kenny

Comment

power strip only lets you set custom resolutions with cards that support it.
                  My Mazda 3s

My Mazda 3s on Car Domain

[||||||||||||||||||--] (90%)

Comment

oh, ok

i've used it before, but with computers that had a graphics card

i'm going to use a travla case, so no space for a graphics card on my nemehiah m10000

Comment

Sounds good to me!!

Hey PDUB, great minds think alike as my want list is nearly identical to yours. I too am thinking about the Lilliput due to the price difference although after reading some of your follow ups I may investigate some more. As with the Epia motherboard because until now I thought it was one of the best set-ups (more opinions welcome with reasons for liking/disliking!!). I've just added a posting about the power supplies as I'm thinking more about the iTuner PW-60 but tell me more about the Carnetix?? Price, supplier, reasons you chose it??? Thanks & good luck with the install. Sounds like your looking for a similar factory look as me & my Audi. What vehicle are you putting it into??

Comment

The powersupplies from iTuner can't be used as a standalone solution in car environments. You need a voltage regulator. That is where the ITPS from iTuner comes in. The ITPS doesn't only work as a voltageregulator but also as a shutdowncontroller.

The advantage of the PW series combined with the ITPS unit is mainly the price. The disadvantage is that the ITPS doesn't actually survive engine cranking. It just waits to boot the pc after a fixed time (when then the engine is supposed to be cranking).

The Carnetix and Opus solutions are in fact able to survive engine cranking, but they cost more. The difference between the both of them is that the Opus is actually a power supply and the Carnetix is more like a voltage regulator + shutdown controller. So if your case allready has a 12v DC -DC powersupply, you're better off with the Carnetix.

What kind of audi are planning to put it in?
                        Why is it drug addicts and computer afficionados are both called users?

Currently : Audi A6 - no install

Second install : VW Passat '97 CarPC
                        First install : '87 Audi 80 CarPC

Comment

Originally posted by englsh
                          I too am thinking about the Lilliput due to the price difference although after reading some of your follow ups I may investigate some more.
                          The price difference is a big factor, but I am also looking at the size. I think the Lilliput will work better for the location I am puting it.

As with the Epia motherboard because until now I thought it was one of the best set-ups (more opinions welcome with reasons for liking/disliking!!).
                          I am going with the Epia motherboard mainly because of the size. The other thing I like about it is the MII10000 is suppose to run fairly cool, I am trying to stay clear of any overheating issues. If the display does not come out as good as I would like, then I will somehoe work a video card into the system.

I've just added a posting about the power supplies as I'm thinking more about the iTuner PW-60 but tell me more about the Carnetix?? Price, supplier, reasons you chose it???
                          Well, proTONEd just put a good post about this within this thread. The case I am going with has a PSU with it already. I do not think I will need 150w that the opus offers and the Carnetix does just about everything else as the opus. The Carnetix also offers a startup/shutdown controller.
                          http://www.carnetix.com/CNXP1260.html

Thanks & good luck with the install. Sounds like your looking for a similar factory look as me & my Audi. What vehicle are you putting it into??
                          Thanks, I will need all the luck I can get. Moving into an adventure with this project but I think it will be well worth it. I will be installing the system in a 2003 Honda Accord.

Where are you located. I am looking for people in my area, CA, to discuss our projects.

Comment

I'm planning to put it into my A4 but am still undecided as to whether I should wait because the new 2004 A4 with ultra sport package has caught my eye. I think I'm going to start with my purchases soon and then wait to start making the custom dash parts. And the Carnetix looks like a good option with an on board CPU, thanks.

As for my location, right now I'm located in dull Rhode Island but after spending a month in Newport Beach, CA I'm trying to move permenantly.... know anyone who needs a laser/manufcturing/sales engineer out west??>

Comment

Working...
                            X