What all will I need?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• What all will I need?

What will I need to make a car computer I want GPS, MP3, DVD, even a hookup for Playstation2. I got nothing right now. and I Want to know what I want and a relative cost for jsut about all of it, im in Canada to so if you know its not available to be shipped etc. here please dont get my hopes up hahaha not how to put it together quite yet that will come later

thanks for your time

bye

search around.

computer ~300-500
    LCD 300-500
    gps 100
    My Mazda 3s

My Mazda 3s on Car Domain

[||||||||||||||||||--] (90%)

Comment

You will need to do a lot do research.

both tools that I see in your future!
      [COLOR=Navy][SIZE=1][FONT=Comic Sans MS]Tektility

Comment

k ive done most of the research so I need an opus, a touch LCD screen (lilliput sounds to be best). and now for a computer what would be the best way to go? buy a new computer and use it that way? or buy a used computer that is fairly decent and upgrade it? I also want it to be small I dont want a huge tower in under my backseat or in my trunk. also do I have to get anything special cause I plan on lots of bass and was wondering will it cause damage to the computer?

oh rea and is it possible for an easy hookup with a PS2??

Comment

As for the computer the best (for small size) is to build your own arround either a via epia board or a shuttle pc. You should keep your computer away from the speakers themsleves, especaly large subs because they have very powerfull magnets on them. so for instance if you have a couple of subs on one side of your trunk put your computer on the other or even in the car proper.

Comment

Thanks alot, but I was wondering how hard is it to build a computer? the only thing ive ever done to a computer tower is add a Cd-R drive. I also would like to be able to keep it in a small space so really small and on the cheaper side of things preferrably less then $2000. without anything on sound.

Comment

Go mini itx. check out the via epai boards.

lookslike you need to do more research. there are many threads on micro-atx vs mini-itx
              -Jesus- King of Kings Lord of Lords

Comment

check out http://www.mini-itx.com/ for information on the mini-itx's they are great, if a little slow. Building your own computer isn't hard by any strech of the imagination, but if you know someone who is experianced in building a computer that would make the process much quicker.

Comment

I agree with antimatter.

Also the more specific a question you ask the better your answers will be.

As far as building a computer it is now pretty much plug and play. You buy the case that fits the motherboard you want. Processor and RAM for that motherboard and additional cards / devices you want / need, connect your equipment, apply power and it is done. Of course try not to release any "magic smoke" along the way or you will have to replace the component. Swearing is a must and you will probably have a few burns, cuts, scrapes and shocks thrown in for good measure. And don't for get there is always ebay, just search for carputer. Like so: http://search.ebay.com/carputer_W0QQ...ectZ1QQfromZR8 there are 2 there now! buy one or look at the components and see what you want in your own system.

Comment

oh thanks alot. I know that doign this it requires alot of reading but I like to jsut do it and break stuff haha so im trying my best to not since this might be expensive sorry guys

I think I ahve decided that a

VIA EPIA MII 10000 1Ghz Motherboard

will work best for me, what does everyone personally think of them??

Comment

These boards have been around for a while. I am looking for something like that myself, but I am waiting for the new Epia miniITX SP board with MPEG4 decoding and the CN400 chipset - it comes in 2 flavours: 800 MHz silent (without a fan) and 1 GHz (the SP13000 model) with a fan. See here for more info:

http://www.viaembedded.com/product/e...herboardId=261

I found this board already available on a norwegian web shop (www.komplett.no), allthough not in stock yet. It is due in September according to http://www.mini-itx.com/ (first page)...

Good luck - I've decided to go with the fanless EPia SP80000E, having support also for SATA disks if needed. According to VIA themselves this board should have better multimedia performance than the older MII boards...

Anyone having opinions on this

Plans + status:
                      + Ford Galaxy 2001
                      + 7" GAIN (Xenarc) screen
                      + 2,5" 40 GB Samsung drive
                      + slot-load DVD/CDRW
                      + USB WiFi
                      - mainboard (Epia SP?)
                      - housing (home made?)
                      - power supply (Opus 90W/150W)
                      - USB GPS + USB card-reader

Comment

See what I mean Mr Robotto? Specifics!

Comment

Originally posted by Mr.Robotto
                          What will I need ?
                          Patience.
                          [H]4 Life
                          My next generation Front End is right on schedule.
                          It will be done sometime in the next generation.
                          I'm a lesbian too.
                          I am for hire!

Comment

I have patience, thats why ive started looking so early I cant even get my drivers license for a year and a half so by then I would like to have it done. for the Epia miniITX SP board with MPEG4 decoding and the CN400 chipset. how long till thats available to be bought if you know? and do you need a fan? or will it overheat without one?

Comment

Originally posted by Smukkasen
                              These boards have been around for a while. I am looking for something like that myself, but I am waiting for the new Epia miniITX SP board with MPEG4 decoding and the CN400 chipset - it comes in 2 flavours: 800 MHz silent (without a fan) and 1 GHz (the SP13000 model) with a fan. See here for more info:

http://www.viaembedded.com/product/e...herboardId=261

I found this board already available on a norwegian web shop (www.komplett.no), allthough not in stock yet. It is due in September according to http://www.mini-itx.com/ (first page)...

Good luck - I've decided to go with the fanless EPia SP80000E, having support also for SATA disks if needed. According to VIA themselves this board should have better multimedia performance than the older MII boards...

Anyone having opinions on this
                              What do you think of the nano-itx boards that should be coming out soon.....hopefully

Comment

Working...
                              X