Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Ok think I got most things set... cable question tho.

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Ok think I got most things set... cable question tho.

Ok Ive decided on most items so far... however I will be putting my PC in the trunk and the display in place of my double din stereo.... but how do I get the video signal and USB all the way up there? Can I get extension cables? If so where is the cheapest place. Also where is the cheapest place to get a case and VIA ITX MB in the US? I checked out logic supply, and their decent, but some things like the HD and DVD is way over priced, and Ill get thoose through newegg.

Also if I can get extensions for the cables that long, wont there be major quality loss in the signal quality too? What is the answer to this?

I have extended all my cables and things are fine. For USB I added a mini usb hub (self powered) to the middle console and then ran the cable from the trunk to that. Then I could branch out to whatever else I add to the dash area.

Once you go too long though, USB needs a power boost - might want to check into thel imits of the extension cable length. I had no probs tho. And my vid signal extended all the way up to the dash from the trunk without problems or loss of signal.
    Car: 2000 Audi A4 Avant 1.8t
    Carputer 2.0: removed. Back to stock.

Comment

Originally posted by Dulanic
      Ok Ive decided on most items so far... however I will be putting my PC in the trunk and the display in place of my double din stereo.... but how do I get the video signal and USB all the way up there? Can I get extension cables? If so where is the cheapest place. Also where is the cheapest place to get a case and VIA ITX MB in the US? I checked out logic supply, and their decent, but some things like the HD and DVD is way over priced, and Ill get thoose through newegg.

Also if I can get extensions for the cables that long, wont there be major quality loss in the signal quality too? What is the answer to this?
      I have both my VGA and USB extended from the trunk with no loss in quality. I have the thick VGA cable which kind of sucks running it through all the panels but it works just fine.
      AMD XP 2600+/512MB RAM/120GB hard drive
      Opus 150W/DVD/GPS/7" Lilliput TS/802.11g/Bluetooth
      Installed.

-GPSSecure- - GPS Tracking
      -AltTabber2.2.2- - Handy touchscreen utility.

Comment

Whats a good place to get the extension cable for it? Also, will VIA MII boards onboard video support the correct resolution of the lilliput 7" LCD?

Comment

Whats a good place to get the extension cable for it? Also, will VIA MII boards onboard video support the correct resolution of the lilliput 7" LCD?
          I don't much about the VIAs but I just bought my cable from a local computer store. Cost me a little less then a $1 a foot.
          Installed.

Comment

Originally posted by brady
            I don't much about the VIAs but I just bought my cable from a local computer store. Cost me a little less then a $1 a foot.
            What was your reason for going MATX? Im still not sure 100% Im going VIA... it just seemed easy and cheap, and would do most the stuff I wanted.

Comment

What was your reason for going MATX? Im still not sure 100% Im going VIA... it just seemed easy and cheap, and would do most the stuff I wanted.
              ATX isn't all that expensive. I don't like having everything integrated on the motherboard. ATX can be much faster.
              Like you said you can pretty much do everything on the VIA that you would need in your computer.
              Installed.

Comment

I have both my VGA and USB extended from the trunk with no loss in quality. I have the thick VGA cable which kind of sucks running it through all the panels but it works just fine.
                Would it be better to extend both the vga and usb cables separately with shielded cables or extend the breakout cable by using one of the 9 pin mini din extension cables and then separating the signal at the end, possibly in the trunk.
                Or does this not even matter?

Comment

Originally posted by savante
                  Would it be better to extend both the vga and usb cables separately with shielded cables or extend the breakout cable by using one of the 9 pin mini din extension cables and then separating the signal at the end, possibly in the trunk.
                  Or does this not even matter?
                  I would just extend the USB/VGA cables seperately.
                  Installed.

Comment

I would just extend the USB/VGA cables seperately.
                    Ok, when I get to that point, I will go that route.
                    Thanks for the info.

Comment

savante, that avatar is aweful lol

does anyone have a good self powered usb hub they'd recommend?
                      CarPC install is starting to come along again...

Comment

Originally posted by Grayscale
                        savante, that avatar is aweful lol
                        Hah, didn't mean to offend any die hard soccer fans, or anyone else for that matter I just think that avatar is hillarious.
                        As for USB hubs, I've always liked the little targus ones they make targeted for laptops, however the cables on them are typically very short.

Comment

vga cables can be run at least 50' without much trouble (dont know if this is under the standard, but I've run a 50' run to a lcd projector without any trouble....as far as running usb, search the forums, as I received the smackdown last time I made a statement on the length it can be run, as someone checked the usb standard website...

Comment

Originally posted by gareva1
                            vga cables can be run at least 50' without much trouble (dont know if this is under the standard, but I've run a 50' run to a lcd projector without any trouble....as far as running usb, search the forums, as I received the smackdown last time I made a statement on the length it can be run, as someone checked the usb standard website...
                            AKA, don't worry about
                            Installed.

Comment

Working...
                            X