Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

What kind of computer power would I need?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• What kind of computer power would I need?

I am looking at setting up a system in my 1990 Plymoth Sundance. So far, I think everything has 2 options. I can:
    Computer:
    A:P3 500 (socket 1, Larger, faster ATX with nothing integrated)
    128 pc100
    20 gig hdd
    cdrom
    SB. Live! (PCI card)
    Matrox dual head, useing a VGA to NTSC converter (PCI card)

B:Cyrex 150 (Small, integrated AT)
    64 sd ram
    What ever the BIOS limit is hdd
    cdrom
    integrated NTSC output
    integrated sound

Video system:
    A: NTSC to Coaxial converter, going to a 4 inch BW CRT (prefered)
    B: A 16X20 LCD (or what ever I can get my hads on)

Power:
    A:Home made system useing some LM regulators/Zener Diods
    B:Some made for a car system that costs $80

I would prefer to use the more powerful system, so passengers could do things like play games on the computer on long trips, but I would probly have to bolt the chair in place, and building the power system would be harder (ATX uses a 3.3V rail as well as 5v and 12v), Yet, I would like to have input from the people that have already done this, so hopefully I can learn from their mistakes.
    Thanks.

EDIT: Typo
    Every day driver, 1989 Celica. Probly won't get a carpc for a while

Working on: 1972 240z. Gonna put a V8 and a Turion in it. Best power in bothworlds. Now if only I could get my theoretical boot as low as my theroretical 1/4 mile time (8.22 s)

for the "video system" if you use a 4" over coax it is going to be fuzzy.
    you may as well find a cheap LCD monitor on ebay, and save the trouble of fabbing twice
    [COLOR=Navy][SIZE=1][FONT=Comic Sans MS]Tektility

Comment

may be, but it is not. An earlyer project of mine was a wearable pc. ( still use it, and love it) but I quickly thought that haveing a Big glass tube with high voltages straped to my neck is not a good idea. Its fine, but thanks for the suggestion. That, and I have started the Prefab. (started to paint prep it.)
      Every day driver, 1989 Celica. Probly won't get a carpc for a while

Working on: 1972 240z. Gonna put a V8 and a Turion in it. Best power in bothworlds. Now if only I could get my theoretical boot as low as my theroretical 1/4 mile time (8.22 s)

Comment

Working...
      X