Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Lilliput 7" Touchscreen in E36: How's the fit?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Lilliput 7" Touchscreen in E36: How's the fit?

Hey everyone,

Am new to Carputers Need some guidance! I am thinking of installing a Carputer in my BMW E36. The only place I think is possible to install the screen is in the OBC + sunglass holder area. I will be pulling the OBC and sungalss holder compartment out, and sticking an LCD in there.

The LCD I am thinking of is the Lilliput 7" Touchscreen monitor. Does anyone know if it will fit into the area I have mentioned snugly, without any modifications? I cannot imagine myself fabricating my own casing etc, as I haven't done this sort of thing before. The Lilliput touchscreen 7" seems to have a curved bottom, which would probably leave gaps.

How important is a touchscreen, really? For you guys that have it, is it that much of a convenience? The price difference is about 70 USD I believe. Is it worth the 70 dollars?

That's all for now. Would appreciate any help. Thanks

Hi mate. I've got a E36 320 Coupe. I have just bought a 7" Lilliput Touchscreen and it fits in that gap absolutely perfect. The only problem I am finding is what to mount the screen to! Behind the section of dashboard is a big hole about 3" deep. But there is nothing sturdy to mount to apart from the plastic pipe for the airvents which i dont really want to screw into. I will try and get some pics up 2nite. I will be interested to know if you have any other ideas!?

Cheers

Dan

Comment

Thanks Dan, that has pretty much convinced me that I should buy it. I have no idea how you can mount it, but I will do some reading up and let you know.

Comment

Dan,

Just to confirm that is is the model you are using?

Model Number. 619GL-70NP (XGA)

I got it from this page: http://www.lilliput.cn/619.htm

Comment

Originally posted by Yuen
          Dan,

Guys, guys,

This is a better solution (although a bit expensive). I live in Germany and drive a E36 also. You probably don't want to mess up your dash. Look at www.cartft.com . I bought these ARAT mnounting brackets and they can be removed and nothing is changed on your car. You need a backet that goes into the car dash, AND a top holder for thge monitor. That means 2 pcs. It costs about 100€ total but it's worth it if you want to remove your monitor when you park your car.

o/______\o
          (oo_OO_oo)
          []o-----------o[]
          '94 320i

Comment

Thanks euro320i, I've had a look at the site. Wayy too costly for me as I'm a student struggling to fund this expensive little hobby. Sounds good, but for 100 euro its overpriced. Regardless, thanks for the help!

Comment

Originally posted by euro320i
              Guys, guys,

This is a better solution (although a bit expensive). I live in Germany and drive a E36 also. You probably don't want to mess up your dash. Look at www.cartft.com . I bought these ARAT mnounting brackets and they can be removed and nothing is changed on your car. You need a backet that goes into the car dash, AND a top holder for thge monitor. That means 2 pcs. It costs about 100€ total but it's worth it if you want to remove your monitor when you park your car.
              euro320i: Do you have a pic of your monitor mounted in your E36? I would be curious to see how it looks....

Comment

Originally posted by shadowpuck
                euro320i: Do you have a pic of your monitor mounted in your E36? I would be curious to see how it looks....
                Take a look here
                www.compu-promedia.com/CARPUTER/index.html
                I'm no web programmer, sorry so I created this. It looks factory, from a Germany Company called ARAT. It is also TUV certified. That means the mount is approved for use in vehicles on the Autobahn.
                Hope this helps.

o/______\o
                (oo_OO_oo)
                []o-----------o[]
                '94 320i

Comment

I didn't want to hack up my dash for later if I sell the car.

o/______\o
                  (oo_OO_oo)
                  []o-----------o[]
                  '94 320i

Comment

euro320i, very nice stock looking setup. Is that the Xenarc screen, and do you still have your OBC and sunglass holder etc in their original location?

Comment

That looks excellent. ALthough I cannot see how it fixes on!?

Mines a 92 Coupe and that CarTFT siteonly says 95-98!? But the shape looks the same to me.

Would really appreciate if you could get any closer up, larger + brighter images of the screen mounted on your dash.

Much appreciated

Dan

Comment

Dan,

Yes Yuen, That is the same monitor as I just bought.

Dan

Comment

Originally posted by danderton
                          That looks excellent. ALthough I cannot see how it fixes on!?

Mines a 92 Coupe and that CarTFT siteonly says 95-98!? But the shape looks the same to me.

Would really appreciate if you could get any closer up, larger + brighter images of the screen mounted on your dash.

Much appreciated

Dan
                          I'll try to get closer pics of that. I just ripped it all out and relocated the whole thing elsewhere. I will DOC that this weekend. The Screen is a Xenarc. The Holder has a thin metal plate that slides into where the HU is, doesn't take any space away, and is screwed into the inside. This way, I can remove the screen when I have to park the car. Can't be there all the time. Don't want to come back and find someone wanted to take an inbuilt dash away..

o/______\o
                          (oo_OO_oo)
                          []o-----------o[]
                          '94 320i

Comment

euro320i, very nice stock looking setup. Is that the Xenarc screen, and do you still have your OBC and sunglass holder etc in their original location?
                            I will... I was going to relocate the OBC to the centerarm console where the cassette tapes where (cassette tapes" ). But I think I will put it all back. I found a great place where there is more that enough room not at all in the trunk area. ..As I said I will have pics this weekend. hope I finish.. just got a MB Quart subdrum and an alpine amp I want to install as well.

o/______\o
                            (oo_OO_oo)
                            []o-----------o[]
                            '94 320i

Comment

Originally posted by euro320i
                              I'll try to get closer pics of that. I just ripped it all out and relocated the whole thing elsewhere. I will DOC that this weekend. The Screen is a Xenarc. The Holder has a thin metal plate that slides into where the HU is, doesn't take any space away, and is screwed into the inside. This way, I can remove the screen when I have to park the car. Can't be there all the time. Don't want to come back and find someone wanted to take an inbuilt dash away..
                              Please could you get a few more pics of how the screen is mounted with the brackets. I have an e36 M3 and don't want to hack the dash. The brackets look kind of bulky?

Comment

Working...
                              X