Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Hey

Hey, I'm Das.
    I have been trying to do this for a while and I am excited to see that some people out there are doing it. I hope to be a resource to yall and vice-versa.

Seems that the thought pattern was different, I was thinking a mobile device as opposed to a desktop. Thats what I have started to do anyway. I aquired a tablet pc and have kinda ghetto rigged it to my stereo. The only thing I didnt have was a way to mount it. I drive a 1994 Chev. Silverado, that looks something like this:

Any ideas?

P.S. I was wondering what you use to get power to your boxes? Power Inverter? And if so, are they potentially hazardous to my battery/alternator?

if you've already acquired the tablet, what are the dimensions of the tablet? I'm guessing too big to do away with your current head unit and put it in its place? if you havent bought a tablet yet, consider the 7" lilliput touchscreen; I have a camaro with the same head unit, and it is almost a perfect fit...then you can relocate your hu, or do away with it completely...

Comment

as far as power is concerned, you could try to convert your car voltage to whatever your tablet is running on if you already have it, or go the inverter route...there are numerous discussions on the pros and cons of each, so search around and you will see them. Definately will be a completely custom application, as I cant think of any mount that would be suitable for your vehicle...try looking for laptop mounts in police/emergency vehicle supply shops to get a start

Comment

Originally posted by Das
        I aquired a tablet pc and have kinda ghetto rigged it to my stereo. The only thing I didnt have was a way to mount it.
        My Carputer! (More Car Pics at the end)
        2 Kicker Comp 10"
        Epia M-9000, 256 MB DDR, 120 Gig HD
        Lilliput 7" VGA Touchscreen
        Check it out?!

Comment

I was aware that he had it, but was trying to subliminally convince him that mounting that tablet is going to be a B*#&H...

Comment

I have the tablet already, and a 200/400 watt max power inverter, and it works in my truck just fine, but I was wondering if it drew too much current, esp. when i have my lights, stereo, and the power inverter on.
            Dimensions: 11.5 in. x 9.5 in.

Comment

definately not going to be a problem, as long as you run the car when the inverter is running most of the time, and limit the inverter to about an hour or two with the engine off...I would think you could probably go longer, but I would use those numbers just to be safe

Comment

Thanks, I appreciate your view.

Comment

Originally posted by gareva1
                  I was aware that he had it, but was trying to subliminally convince him that mounting that tablet is going to be a B*#&H...
                  Mounting problems aside....
                  I could see something very cool utilizing a tablet PC.....
                  Perhaps built into an armrest/console between the front seats that could have a tablet PC fold out of that armrest somehow...

Better yet, have one fold down from the roof... Although that might be awkward to write on....

I agree, it would be a *****, but I'm certain it could be done...

Das: What kind of sound is in your tablet PC? Realtek AC97?
                  Have you looked in the FAQ yet?
                  How about the Wiki?

Under normal circumstances, a signature would go here.

Comment

Working...
                  X