Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

How do i connect carputer audio to my Stock system minus stock HU?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• How do i connect carputer audio to my Stock system minus stock HU?

Ok, i searched for a while but couldnt find any info on this. My plan is to replace the Stock HU with a xenarc touchscreen, then connect up a carputer to that(running it off an inverter)

my question is, how do i use my factory speaker wires and such to connect them up to my carputer? at the moment im using an RF modulator for my DVD/xbox to run sound for the back seat screans but when the stock HU is gone how do i do that? any info would be great,, thanks

Here is what it looks like at the moment, the stock HU will be replaced with another screen:
    http://www.zjstech.net/~library/3675/touchscreen.jpg
    Here are some shots of my ride, be sure to scroll all the way down:
    http://www.cardomain.com/memberpage/674459

You may need to invest in a sound card with low signal to noise - not sure though depends on your luck really - as the amp will be always on loud and amplifying a lot fo background noise
    Ford Focus MP3 : www.stevieg.org/carpc Blog Updated 29 January 2009!
    Car PC Status: Complete - Undergoing Software Redevelopment

Comment

It seems to me that cables are important from the soundcard, too. I wouldn't suggest running any more than a little 3 foot RCA-Miniplug adapter between the soundcard and the amp.

Comment

ps i would suggest staying from any use of the rf modulation seeing as it generaly doesnt sound very good. Also is there a reason other than price that you dont use a opus power supply? also if you wanted you could get a aftermarket hu, and fiberglass it somewhere else thats what im doing, and you can get 5.1 surround out of it without buying an extra amp. Guess it just depends on your price range/experince
        good luck!

Comment

buying a regular amp will most likeyl give u better sound quality than the amp in a HU.. at least the cheap ones....
          AT mobo
          Intel Pentium MMX 233mhz
          ESS Solo PCI soundcard
          Linksys NIC
          Irman

Comment

That's pretty much what I did today. I hooked my 4-ch amp up to the rear speakers with nice, brand new wire. However, I could not get the speaker wire through the doors. Since all the speaker wires run to the trunk I simply hooked the amp in to the stock wiring for the front speakers. It's not my perferred method of hook-up. Personally, I would have liked the idea of running new speaker wire for the front speakers.

Derek
            Progress [||-------]
            View my Worklog to see some of my progress.
            Downgraded Progress - Starting with another car... 09/13/06

Comment

my blaupunkt is a 200 watt. It retails now for under 90$ look into it its pretty and functions well.

Comment

I thought about the opus power supply but its a little pricy for me at the moment.. I also thought about using an aftermarket HU and wiring it up somewhere else but im having a hard time finding a good place for one. I think that using an amp would give me better sound quality.
                How do i connect to the sound card? are you talking about just using one of those headphone jacks that splits to 2 RCA cables???
                Also, if anyone can think of a good place to install an aftermarket HU im all ears.. i thought about where my AC controlls are now but then i would have to move them,, sort of a pain, im running out of room for my toys lol

Comment

I'd reccomend the amp idea.

You can find cables that split the 3mm headphone jack into the 2 RCA cables (Left and Right) or invest in a good soundcard like a Creative Audigy which already has RCA outputs

An idea to mount your head unit somewhere else is to mount it in one of thoes plastic project boxes from radioshack, you know the type people make electronic stuff in, and then screw it onto your dash somewhere
                  [ MP3CarPC.com :: Digitize your in-car experience ]

* what happened to my sig and avatar :confused: *

Comment

I was going to go without a HU, but 2 weeks without a radio changed my mind. Having a radio you can turn on and get music regardless of the state of your carputer (mine is down right now, and will be for some time) is nice. You could remote the faceplate of the HU and mount it almost anywhere it will fit. I have mine sitting sideways under the car-puter in the dash and the faceplate is mounted where it fit on the center console. I have seen some cool installs where the faceplate was mounted in the visor as well.
                    "Protecting Privacy and Free Speech Online"
                    http://www.eff.org/

Comment

Supermike, so you mean having the faceplate seperated from the headunit its self? if so that is a very good idea! One I might persue in my own carputer project.
                      [ MP3CarPC.com :: Digitize your in-car experience ]

* what happened to my sig and avatar :confused: *

Comment

Originally posted by GWRedDragon
                        It seems to me that cables are important from the soundcard, too. I wouldn't suggest running any more than a little 3 foot RCA-Miniplug adapter between the soundcard and the amp.
                        You need a good quality lead.
                        Use a multimeter to check the resistance on the length of the sheilding - it should be as close to 0 as possible. The first (good quality, short) lead I used had a high resistance for some reason and I ended up using a 10 metre lead with close to 0 resistance. However the first, short lead was pretty cr*p!
                        Ford Focus MP3 : www.stevieg.org/carpc Blog Updated 29 January 2009!
                        Car PC Status: Complete - Undergoing Software Redevelopment

Comment

Super Mike,,

how do you wire up the faceplate seperate from the HU? That sounds like a very cool idea.

Comment

Working...
                          X