Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Listen to my newbie idea! (mini touchscreen on door panel)

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • Listen to my newbie idea! (mini touchscreen on door panel)

    ok i was thinking about doing a modification in my car that would make it really unique from anything else.

    having a 3" W x 7" L touchscreen on each door panel that controls all the cars functions like the windows and air conditioning etc.

    what do yall think?

    i know itll probably be costly but at least its something I never seen in anyone elses car before....
    id be happy to help with any photoshop related things.

  • #2
    Well it woulnt be orignal, but in the door it would be. in other words, its been done, but a touch screen in the dash to replace all the other ac controls locks ect ect. Besides, unless you can program a PLC or some sort of microcontroler, it would suck to wait for a carputer to boot just for the ac to come on =-/
    Crouching Tiger, Drunken Kitty

    Comment


    • #3
      Originally posted by cheerio
      it would suck to wait for a carputer to boot just for the ac to come on =-/
      Not if it was used to only change settings. The AC will the same as when you turned the engine off.

      Then if you want to change it you wait <1 min

      Comment


      • #4
        well a control panel just for settings like the windows or simple things like that wouldnt be such a hard task would it?, i mean it would be cool just to see give someone ideas and see other people try to do it.
        id be happy to help with any photoshop related things.

        Comment


        • #5
          Cheap way to do it, use old Palm Pilots or CE PDAs. Mold them into the handle where you want the screen, and run a serial cable from them to a PIC (like a Basic Stamp, if you're not familiar with the term). You have three serial lines to the PIC, one from each PDA and one from your carputer. The PIC controls the relays to do each thing on its own, so you don't need the carputer running to use it, you're using the PDA to issue immediate commands to the PIC over serial. As a bonus, whenever the computer is on, it acts like it's own controller and just tells the PIC via serial when it wants stuff to happen, that way you can write a pretty interface for the carputer.

          Finally, you take a cradle for the PDAs and wire regulated power into it so that it keeps the PDAs charged.

          You can probably find used PDAs for super cheap if they're not the latest/greatest.

          Things needed:
          1. PDAs to serve as touchscreen controls
          2. Cradles for PDAs to handle serial and charging, probably comes with each PDA.
          3. A microcontroller to control the actual relays.
          4. A program for the PDAs to display your UI and take commands and send them over serial.
          5. A program on the microcontroller to listen on the 3 serial lines and control the relays based on received commands.

          Estimated cost for everything except the actual relays: $150 plus time.
          Chrysler 300 - Fabricating
          http://hallert.net/

          Comment


          • #6
            Originally posted by Enforcer
            Not if it was used to only change settings. The AC will the same as when you turned the engine off.

            Then if you want to change it you wait <1 min

            then wouldnt you have to have some sort of microcontroler to reinstate those settings. In my car the AC componets are via switch, analog, nothing digital. So if i wanted to change the HVAC to a computer controled setup, the comptuer would have to turn it on after it boots, OR i woudl have to have some kind of micro controller inbetween to do it for me untill the cpu is up to do it. Does this make sence?
            Crouching Tiger, Drunken Kitty

            Comment


            • #8
              thats cool thanx for all who responded, what do yall really think about this project? doable or non doable? cause if i do indeed go through with this it will take alot of time yes and i of course need a expert for the micro controller and to connect everything
              id be happy to help with any photoshop related things.

              Comment


              • #9
                I think it's a nice challenge, and if you've got the time and money got for it.


                I must say it's given me some food for thought. But I've got to get my main install fully finished first.


                Another thing I am thinking off is having small scrrens inside on the doors and have small cameras where the side mirrors are.

                just another thought

                Comment


                • #10
                  the Camera idea is HORRIBLE, just immagine, your going 80mph, your screen gets 30fps, and a car cuts you off, and you gotta change lanes with the quickness, you look in your side veiw, it says its clear, BOOM, you get hit by another car going 140 that your camera didnt update to see yet. heh, just hypothetical.
                  Crouching Tiger, Drunken Kitty

                  Comment


                  • #11
                    Cheerio, if you could look at the mirror and back again in 1/30th of a second, you'd break your neck. There are other problems with the idea, you just somehow managed to steer a path around all of them.

                    The real problems I'd see are related to glare. Most LCDs have real problems with sunlight, and I find myself using my mirrors during the day as well as night. I'd rather not have to squint at the screen to make out if anyone is in my blind spot, I'd end up parking my car inside the bumper of the braking car in front of me rather soon.

                    I'm intrigued by the idea of replacing my gauges with LCDs, then overlaying the speedo/tach/etc data over a wide angle video of behind my car, or have that video on a screen that I can refer to quickly. I've been thinking of doing this to my motorcycle on and off, along with the fighter style MFD.

                    Back to the original idea, take another glance at the PDA + basic stamp suggestion I made, so far I think it's the easiest and doesn't add a dependancy on having the carputer running.
                    Chrysler 300 - Fabricating
                    http://hallert.net/

                    Comment


                    • #12
                      Originally posted by cheerio
                      the Camera idea is HORRIBLE, just immagine, your going 80mph, your screen gets 30fps, and a car cuts you off, and you gotta change lanes with the quickness, you look in your side veiw, it says its clear, BOOM, you get hit by another car going 140 that your camera didnt update to see yet. heh, just hypothetical.

                      I wasn't thinking of running it through a PC.

                      anyway it's just an idea at present.

                      Comment


                      • #13
                        The touch panel would look cool, but from a practical standpoint, it would probably be the worst interface you could use for the task. Assuming your actually going to have the interface on the touchscreen change, it would mean you would have to look at the panel to actually use it, even if it doesn't change, you will get absolutly no tactile feedback from the screen like you do buttons so you would probably have to still look at it and thats certainly not somethign that would be safe do do while driving.
                        StreetDeck.com Developer (I am Chuck)
                        Get StreetDeck at http://www.streetdeck.com
                        The Official StreetDeck Forums have moved, please visit us at http://www.streetdeck.com/forum for official support for Streetdeck.

                        Comment


                        • #14
                          Originally posted by Chairboy
                          Cheerio, if you could look at the mirror and back again in 1/30th of a second, you'd break your neck. There are other problems with the idea, you just somehow managed to steer a path around all of them.

                          The real problems I'd see are related to glare. Most LCDs have real problems with sunlight, and I find myself using my mirrors during the day as well as night. I'd rather not have to squint at the screen to make out if anyone is in my blind spot, I'd end up parking my car inside the bumper of the braking car in front of me rather soon.

                          I'm intrigued by the idea of replacing my gauges with LCDs, then overlaying the speedo/tach/etc data over a wide angle video of behind my car, or have that video on a screen that I can refer to quickly. I've been thinking of doing this to my motorcycle on and off, along with the fighter style MFD.

                          Back to the original idea, take another glance at the PDA + basic stamp suggestion I made, so far I think it's the easiest and doesn't add a dependancy on having the carputer running.
                          Ok, your right maby i didnt think about it too much. But lets see, glare would be a horrible problem, but that would only be at the beginning of the list. I think the biggest problem would be depth perception. Among vibrations from the car causing the camera to 'seizure', Weather, frost on the camera, water on the camera, frozen camera ;x.

                          The idea is intresting, would be cool to see, just not to...actually use.

                          How bout this one though. Infared camera, so you can see whats in front of you when you cant really...see see whats in front of you.
                          Crouching Tiger, Drunken Kitty

                          Comment


                          • #15
                            Originally posted by cheerio

                            How bout this one though. Infared camera, so you can see whats in front of you when you cant really...see see whats in front of you.

                            I think this has been covered under nightvision in another thread,

                            Comment

                            Working...
                            X