Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Thinking about clarion autopc/joyride vs carpc

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • Thinking about clarion autopc/joyride vs carpc

    Hey, Im have a few questions. Im thinking about buying something that would serve as my navi unit along with the usual radio/cd/cdchanger stuff and a few toys if thats possible Now in my car 97 M3 I have very limited space

    http://thesocket.net/interior.jpg

    Here are a few issues that I have:

    1. If I was to buy a clarion unit.
    How is autopc? the old 310c It seemed pretty outdated from a few conversations that I had. I dont belive it would even play mp3s since the cpu is some old hitachi h3 33mhz cpu.... Along with the gps issues like long recalculations times and gps drifting...
    1b. Clarion Joyride which is the new version of autopc.
    That has a "better" cpu. Its a normal x86 so that opens up a few capabilities of messing with it. Is that unit much bettter? anyone had expeirences with them? Is there a development kit for any of the clarions stuff?
    2. Since my space is very limited are there any other units that have headunit size lcds?... I dont really want one of those motorized lcds sticking out of my dash for some reason. Is any of that stuff wince/win/linux based?
    3. If I was to install a normal computer in my car, are there any lcds that would fit in the space where the headunit goes? I really dont want to get a motirized lcd ( one of those alpine units and such ). How are those supported by windows/linux? Is it just like a small monitor or is there special software for them?
    4. What software for pc is good? I tested a few applications for voice recognition ( dragon naturaly speaking and ibms stuff ) and I wasnt pleased with them. I cant imagine them working in the car where you have wind noice,music,bumps and other stuff.

    Any advice would be great.
    Regards,
    Tom

  • #2
    hi m8, just a quick reply as im about to go bed but in regards to the alpine motorised screens etc I dont think they will be very good for a computer anyway because I dont think they dont support VGA and as far as I am aware they have said that they cannot be used for PC use, the touchscreen ones will not be able to send any signals to the pc either as you have no interface for it.

    I'll explain when I wake up tomorrow and try to answer the other questions unless other folks on here do/have!


    sorry for the quick answer m8, night night

    Comment


    • #3
      I used to own a Clarior AutoPC. It was "cool" to have but not worth it. The fuctionality, value,and upgradeabillity can not even compare to a PC. Plus this is also kind of a hobby/entusiast type of fulfillment with doing something custom.
      My Install Thread
      digitaljetta.com

      MKIV VW Jetta
      How do I get sound to my car?

      Comment


      • #4
        I think you'd be much better off with a carpc rather than either of those. Way more functionality and probably cheaper too. An M3 is not smaller than many other people's cars on here... as a matter of fact I think I saw a very clean carputer installed in an M3 just recently on here (edit: click here to see it ). A mini-itx system can be built very compactly.

        Also, you're right with the voice commands not being effective in a noisy environment like a car, it will most likely be very buggy in the car... but really how useful is it other than the coolness factor? Everything will be controlled by touching a screen 2 feet away from you anyway which is easy enough...

        Comment


        • #5
          aurora: I know what you mean about the alpine stuff, well I guess you could use a tv output on your card + touchscreen kit but that would be a PITA. Anyway Im trying not to go that direction as a screen sticking out of my dashboard would cover the vent, would look bad, and a bulk unit sticking out of my dashboard would attract too much unwanted attention...

          So I decided that Ill move the stuff around the ac control unit will be moved down altho the carpet there blocks it for putting it all the way down. If that doesnt work then the unit is gonna get disassembled and hopefully Ill figure a way to fit it in there.
          Another idea I had is to use microswitches from the carpc lets say mark bits on a ltp port, 8 bits = 8 different buttons.

          Tom

          Comment


          • #6
            PS the guy had a E46 which has a nice dashboard space to work with mine is E36... so its a different storry.

            Tom

            Comment


            • #7
              Originally posted by bmwperson
              aurora: I know what you mean about the alpine stuff, well I guess you could use a tv output on your card + touchscreen kit but that would be a PITA. Anyway Im trying not to go that direction as a screen sticking out of my dashboard would cover the vent, would look bad, and a bulk unit sticking out of my dashboard would attract too much unwanted attention...

              So I decided that Ill move the stuff around the ac control unit will be moved down altho the carpet there blocks it for putting it all the way down. If that doesnt work then the unit is gonna get disassembled and hopefully Ill figure a way to fit it in there.
              Another idea I had is to use microswitches from the carpc lets say mark bits on a ltp port, 8 bits = 8 different buttons.

              Tom
              I used the AutoPC before migrating to a carputer. I was actually pretty happy with it. It did have its limitations but it worked well and was a good value for the money (I paid $450 for everything including software). The GPS does take a while to recalculate but it is very user friendly otherwise. That reminds me, I need to put my Autopc on ebay and get rid of it...
              My Celica Carputer Install

              Comment


              • #8
                Originally posted by EBJUSTIN
                I used the AutoPC before migrating to a carputer. I was actually pretty happy with it. It did have its limitations but it worked well and was a good value for the money (I paid $450 for everything including software). The GPS does take a while to recalculate but it is very user friendly otherwise. That reminds me, I need to put my Autopc on ebay and get rid of it...

                hi,
                have you disk system for joyride?
                you send me copy ?
                thanks
                cecesp

                Comment


                • #9
                  well i can say from first hand ,do not by a auto pc 310. it was cool in 1999 when it came out but is very limited,verrryyy limited.but it does do mp3 and navigation. I still have it in my car right now but I will be sellling it as soon as I get my carputer in my car(waitng to pick up a datalux 12" touchscreen. is that A good way to go?) as for the joyride it really isnt that greatcompared to what is out there. I you want to play dvds,have gps,mp3s and wma's or get xm or sirius satalite radio go with an alpine d300. but it is pricey. me personaly I went with a carputer. I am also a car audio installer and I think that it is way better to buy something that is upgradeable than replacable.

                  Comment


                  • #10
                    help me!!!!
                    I have clarion joyride , but not have disk system (lost) .
                    if me you want to help I send you my email.
                    thanks

                    Comment


                    • #11
                      Originally posted by carputervirgin
                      well i can say from first hand ,do not by a auto pc 310. it was cool in 1999 when it came out but is very limited,verrryyy limited.but it does do mp3 and navigation.
                      The 310 does not play Mp3s out-of-the-box. You need 3rd party software. Even then it only plays them at an extremely low bitrate. I remember it not even being radio-qaulity and doubt it was stereo.
                      My Install Thread
                      digitaljetta.com

                      MKIV VW Jetta
                      How do I get sound to my car?

                      Comment

                      Working...
                      X