I'm new, I know what I want, help me!

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I'm new, I know what I want, help me!

Firstly, I've been undertaking some intensive research into Car PC's, so while I have zilch, nada, zip experience to offer, I'll be hanging around here (in the company of fellow newbies)...

A quick history of me: Computer Science Graduate, working in IT. I am fine with PC's and technology, but where we come to electronics volts/watts/soldering and mashing up dashboards and fabricating stuff, then that was me just running out the door...

The current setup: VW Golf 1.6 SE (2000)
    • Stock cassette Head Unit with CD slot above (therefore a double-DIN area to play with).
    • Stock speakers

What I want to put together:

Phase 1:

Audio:
    • Sony CD Head Unit (to be placed in the lower DIN slot)
    • 4x speakers (spec/models undecided)
    • Sony XS-AW200X Sub woofer (integrated active)

(which will follow after a gap of 1 or 2 weeks by....)

Phase 2:

Car PC Hardware
    • Motherboard: VIA EPIA Nehemiah M10000 1Ghz All In One
    • PSU: Opus 150w
    • RAM: 256mb RAM
    • HDD: 40Gb HDD
    • DVD: CD-RW/DVD drive
    • TFT: Xenarc 7" Touchscreen TFT screen (VGA) (to be placed in the upper DIN slot)
    • Input: Mini Keyboard + Mini mouse/trackball
    • USB hub running:
      USB TV tuner
      USB GPS
      USB Wi-Fi adapter
      USB webcam(s)
    Car PC Software
    • OS Win XP
    • Interface Media Car/Media Engine
    • Navigation Destinator software?
    • ...+ MP3/DVD/Xvid playback software

My questions are:

Is there anything missing or obviously wrong with the setup mentioned above?

Will the Opus 150W be happy to run the devices mentioned above? (or am I expecting too much from it?)

I'm in the UK, where are the best places to get the specs I've put together? (not afraid of the internet/ebay...)

Do 2.5" 'slim' HDDs and DVD drives draw less power than 3.5" units? What are the benefits of slim units apart from the dimensions? I only ask as its cheaper to use 3.5" units...

When (if ever) will there be a Xenarc 7" + VGA + touchscreen + motorised in-dash DIN unit? (seen a non-motorised one at digitalww.com). I'm will to wait initiating the project until I know its pricing/availability...

Quicky regarding the Sony XS-AW200X - can I feed the sound from the Car PC through the integrated amp, or does it only feed the sub that its part of? (side note: can I feed the speakers through the same sub/integrated amp unit?)

I'm sure I'll have more questions...

Thanks all in advance,
    Sam
    Have: Via Epia M10000 1GHz|512Mb|20Gb|Slim slot-loading DVD-R|Carnetix P1280|RevCam|GPS|Illum’d keyboard|11g Wifi
    Waiting for: Xenarc TFT in-dash (haha!)

I don't think I can answer all your questions but...
    It sounds like you have done your research and know what you are talking about so far!
    The opus should handle that without to much trouble. That's a pretty typical setup. You are going to need to find out what type of gps and software that you want to use, and make sure before buying that it'll work together.

I buy most of my stuff on ebay! It's a great resource, of course you just need to look at the feedbacks of folks.

Some say that the 3.5 drives are less shock resistant, I would buy 2 40gigs image the drives exactly the same after you get get your system kinda where you want it (Make sure you mount vertically) and then if one ****'s on you...you have a great easy way to start...and it's a great trouble shooting tool just in case you can't figure out what's wrong, just slap the new drive in and see if the hard drive is the problem. Drives are so cheap now days...why not. 2.5 do draw less power, but with that board, I wouldn't worry about it, unless you have a space prob.

The sony question, I'll let someone else handle that one...
    later dude!
    BossTone74

Comment

Originally posted by SamDude
      Firstly, I've been undertaking some intensive research into Car PC's, so while I have zilch, nada, zip experience to offer, I'll be hanging around here (in the company of fellow newbies)...

A quick history of me: Computer Science Graduate, working in IT. I am fine with PC's and technology, but where we come to electronics volts/watts/soldering and mashing up dashboards and fabricating stuff, then that was me just running out the door...

The current setup: VW Golf 1.6 SE (2000)
      • Stock cassette Head Unit with CD slot above (therefore a double-DIN area to play with).
      • Stock speakers

What I want to put together:

Phase 1:

Audio:
      • Sony CD Head Unit (to be placed in the lower DIN slot)
      • 4x speakers (spec/models undecided)
      • Sony XS-AW200X Sub woofer (integrated active)

(which will follow after a gap of 1 or 2 weeks by....)

Phase 2:

Car PC Hardware
      • Motherboard: VIA EPIA Nehemiah M10000 1Ghz All In One
      • PSU: Opus 150w
      • RAM: 256mb RAM
      • HDD: 40Gb HDD
      • DVD: CD-RW/DVD drive
      • TFT: Xenarc 7" Touchscreen TFT screen (VGA) (to be placed in the upper DIN slot)
      • Input: Mini Keyboard + Mini mouse/trackball
      • USB hub running:
        USB TV tuner
        USB GPS
        USB Wi-Fi adapter
        USB webcam(s)
      Car PC Software
      • OS Win XP
      • Interface Media Car/Media Engine
      • Navigation Destinator software?
      • ...+ MP3/DVD/Xvid playback software

My questions are:

Is there anything missing or obviously wrong with the setup mentioned above?

Will the Opus 150W be happy to run the devices mentioned above? (or am I expecting too much from it?)

I'm in the UK, where are the best places to get the specs I've put together? (not afraid of the internet/ebay...)

Do 2.5" 'slim' HDDs and DVD drives draw less power than 3.5" units? What are the benefits of slim units apart from the dimensions? I only ask as its cheaper to use 3.5" units...

When (if ever) will there be a Xenarc 7" + VGA + touchscreen + motorised in-dash DIN unit? (seen a non-motorised one at digitalww.com). I'm will to wait initiating the project until I know its pricing/availability...

Quicky regarding the Sony XS-AW200X - can I feed the sound from the Car PC through the integrated amp, or does it only feed the sub that its part of? (side note: can I feed the speakers through the same sub/integrated amp unit?)

I'm sure I'll have more questions...

Thanks all in advance,
      Sam

Maybe I'm reading wrong, but you wanna put a cd player and a screen in a double DIN slot??

Comment

Originally posted by DjPaj
        Maybe I'm reading wrong, but you wanna put a cd player and a screen in a double DIN slot??

The Xenarc will be house/bought as a slide out unit (=therefore taking ONE slot).

Have: Via Epia M10000 1GHz|512Mb|20Gb|Slim slot-loading DVD-R|Carnetix P1280|RevCam|GPS|Illum’d keyboard|11g Wifi

Comment

I believe so. However, he wants the screen to be motorized, thus, it should work.
          If you didn't have fun when you were living, were you really alive?
          ¤
          {[¤¤¤X-----------------]} 25% Complete (Plan Made, awaiting funds)

Comment

I've heard nothing but bad things about Sony speakers/woofers, you may want to reconsider that one...

Comment

Originally posted by Bobby Digital
              I've heard nothing but bad things about Sony speakers/woofers, you may want to reconsider that one...
              The Sony's are just a "reference point" for now. I'm looking at Pioneer and Infinity, so that aspect is still undecided at the mo'...

Comment

Ok I missed the slideout part, sorry...

But stay away from Sony, get Inifinti, their speakers and subs are better than the rest on your list.

Comment

I'm trying to find out what the standard sizes are of the speakers in a VW Golf (mk4)...

...and before I actually decide to strip the standard factory fitted speakers and replace them, if its actually worth leaving them in (=more funds diverted to the Car PC cause)

Comment

Looks good, i would leave the amp and sub till last and but the rest before though.
                    CarPC status: iPod, 3,456,217 songs so **** you

Comment

For reference: VW Golf Mk4's take 6.5" speakers in the front (answered at the digital-car.co.uk forum).

Looking at the Infinity 652.5i set (unless someone tells me otherwise...)

Comment

sounds right to me
                        If you didn't have fun when you were living, were you really alive?
                        ¤
                        {[¤¤¤X-----------------]} 25% Complete (Plan Made, awaiting funds)

Comment

Planning is still underway. Current shopping list is:
                          -Sony F7700 head unit
                          -Infinity 6500cs front components
                          -Infinity sub (model?)
                          -Pioneer amp (model?)

(the last two items are recommended, but I haven't got the models/specs yet).

A couple more questions are being thunk[*1] up, these are the latest:

1. How exactly is the Opus PSU connected to the power source? (is it wired to the car battery directly?)

2. Following from above, if the Opus is wired directly to the battery, would I be able to use the same power that is needed to feed the amp? (or does it need an exclusive cable?). If it can use the same connection, that would save me adding a new line to the battery (or I could wire an extra one when getting the amp installed...)

3. A curious question: Will the sub have any negative effect on the Car PC? (they will live together in the boot). Are the vibrations from the sub an issue for the HDD or other components?

4. In the boot of the Golf, there is a 12v power supply socket (cigerette lighter type). Is this useful for anything - perhaps saving some wiring to the power/battery?

[*1] Not a real word, I know

Comment

Originally posted by SamDude
                            Planning is still underway. Current shopping list is:
                            -Sony F7700 head unit
                            -Infinity 6500cs front components
                            -Infinity sub (model?)
                            -Pioneer amp (model?)

(the last two items are recommended, but I haven't got the models/specs yet).

A couple more questions are being thunk[*1] up, these are the latest:

1. How exactly is the Opus PSU connected to the power source? (is it wired to the car battery directly?)

2. Following from above, if the Opus is wired directly to the battery, would I be able to use the same power that is needed to feed the amp? (or does it need an exclusive cable?). If it can use the same connection, that would save me adding a new line to the battery (or I could wire an extra one when getting the amp installed...)

3. A curious question: Will the sub have any negative effect on the Car PC? (they will live together in the boot). Are the vibrations from the sub an issue for the HDD or other components?

4. In the boot of the Golf, there is a 12v power supply socket (cigerette lighter type). Is this useful for anything - perhaps saving some wiring to the power/battery?

[*1] Not a real word, I know
                            1) OPUS is not connectd directly u need to run a thick cable from battery to opus than u will use a splitter to connect ur comnputer and to connect ur amp

2) It depends on how many sups you got and how close it is to a computer but it might have some effect that is if the base is big but if u useing 1 12sub i think should be fine.

3)Personally i wouldnt use cig lighter for anythign ut that is just personal but i think u may use it for anythign that is less then 12v .
                            [|||||-----] 95% complete

Comment

SamDude,
                              Just a suggestion... why replace speakers you already have? Free's up money to get your project started. Install your H/U first if you like, (to get your feet wet w/installing stuff). I'm not familiar w/Sony products but make sure it has an aux. in for your carputer. Also if your going w/a seperate amp why use a H/U at all? Then install your computer and get that working. Your list looks good. By the way I would definately opt. for the 2.5 in. drive (less power, more rugged). After you get everything working then add your sub, and lastly fine tune your system w/speakers. I was going to replace my factory speakers but I was amazed how much better they sounded after installing a 4 channel amp.
                              HTH
                              System:
                              Epia M1000 w/512MB PC2100, Xenarc 700TS, ATI 7500 PCI, OPUS 150 PSU, 2.5 40GB 5400 HDD, 802.11g PCI, Slim Slot DVDR,
                              Gyration RF Kybrd, OBDII adpt. + sftwr, XP pro, iGuidance/Royaltek GPS NAV, XMPCR, Kenwd KAC-8401 4 chnl amp, 10" pwd sub

Comment

Working...
                              X