dvd question...

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• dvd question...

i did a search, but maybe searched for the wrong thing, and I saw somewhat of an answer in the faq... if i mount the cpu in the trunk, or under a seat, and the dvd drive in the dash, how would you supply power to the drive?? doesnt it need ide and power??, also where can you get the longer ide cables??

one more thing, since i cant get a hold of my cpu guy, what kind of mods need to be made to put a laptop drive into a desktop??

one one more thing, is there a decent slot loading black dvd drive out there??

thanks

Maximum length of IDE cable is about 2 feet. Therefore you can't use an ide drive further than 2 feet from the motherboard without converting it to USB (which then includes power). There are adaptors available to convert laptop drives for use with desktops, check ebay.

Comment

Here is a thread you can look through. There are a few good options in there. I have the external usb laptop enclosure from bixnet. So far I haven't had any problems.

Comment

Originally posted by Ill1
        Here is a thread you can look through. There are a few good options in there. I have the external usb laptop enclosure from bixnet. So far I haven't had any problems.
        It's 3 feet.
        Some people have luck with longer, but it's a crap shoot.
        [H]4 Life
        My next generation Front End is right on schedule.
        It will be done sometime in the next generation.
        I'm a lesbian too.
        I am for hire!

Comment

i see no thread ill...

in the faq it said not to get a usb dvd drive...

Comment

Originally posted by kingnasty
            i see no thread ill...

in the faq it said not to get a usb dvd drive...

DVD won't work over USB1.1...you need USB2.0. I have a bookpc with only 1.1 so I have to get an IDE cable. (And no...there is no room for a PCI card)
            --------
            mykolJay
            99 Accord coupe
            http://www.geocities.com/accordpc
            My Project Thread on mp3car.com

Comment

so the only way to mount the pc in the trunk, and have the drive mounted in the console is w/ a usb 2.0 dvd and port?

Comment

Get a slimline slot load dvd player. It will make for a nice clean looking install. Then purchase a firewire external hard drive enclosure. In the enclosure will be a IDE to firewire converter. Run a short IDE cable (there is one that is about 2 inches in length that is already attached to the the converter) from the converter to the DVD drive. Then run a firewire cable from the converter to the motherboard. That is it!

later,

Chris

Comment

so the only way to mount the pc in the trunk, and have the drive mounted in the console is w/ a usb 2.0 dvd and port?
                  and firewire. Check out Gork's bimmer in his project thread
                  In da club....

ALIZEE WANTS YOU.....

(\__/)
                  (='.'=)
                  (")_(")
                  Bunny's first poo
                  __ U

Comment

So how many people have an external Usb drive that is attached to a m10000 via motherboard? And do you have any problems?
                    DICE Los Angeles
                    ]

Comment

you can get a slimline slot load dvdrom drive from newegg for $66. And a panasonic slimline slot load dvd/cdrw for $71. The panasonic is recommended. So is Newegg.com (and the shipping is cheap, I think free)
                      --------
                      mykolJay
                      99 Accord coupe
                      http://www.geocities.com/accordpc
                      My Project Thread on mp3car.com

Comment

i have been looking for a good slimline slot load, thanks... now i guess i dont understand this firewire stuff as well as i should... am i going to be able to use the firewire w/ this drive?? i thought i was informed on cpus, but i now realize its been 4 years since i have built one, thats a long time...

Comment

i have been looking for a good slimline slot load, thanks... now i guess i dont understand this firewire stuff as well as i should... am i going to be able to use the firewire w/ this drive?? i thought i was informed on cpus, but i now realize its been 4 years since i have built one, thats a long time...
                          Read my post above!

later,

Chris

Comment

yes i did read and understand, half of it... how does the firewire connect to the mobo??

Comment

yes i did read and understand, half of it... how does the firewire connect to the mobo??
                              Take the FireWire to IDE converter out of the FireWire box

Plug an IDE cable into the DVD drive and the other end into the IDE converter.

Then plug a FireWire cable from the converter to the computer.

I am assuming you must have a FireWire port on your computer.

I am pretty sure that's it what he means, correct me if i'm wrong.

Comment

Working...
                              X