Pricing and options on entry level setup

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Pricing and options on entry level setup

I know you guys probably get this all the time, but I couldnt find a thread that was exactly what I was looking for. Im completely new to all of this, as in Ive considered it before but I only really started planning today. Im curious how much it would cost me to run a pretty basic setup, I want general media interface (probably use that program on this site, it looked pretty nice), hopefully gps navigation, and all completely touch screen up front. I have built numerous computers, I do lots of 12volt installtion, I can do all the soldering and everything, is there anything like damping protection or anything that I should know about? I was also curious what running audio through a carputer does to quality? if Im running a pretty high end component set and in most cases Im a big sq (sound quality) fanatic, would I be unimpressed? Thanks for everything, you guys on this site know so much and you will be the gods of this domain when carputers hit it big.

p.s. if anybody has a setup running in an expedition please let me know Ill be putting it in a 99 eddie bauer and Im curious about mounting options and such

I guess it depends on what you mean by "entry level"
    [H]4 Life
    My next generation Front End is right on schedule.
    It will be done sometime in the next generation.
    I'm a lesbian too.
    I am for hire!

Comment

If by basic you mean, GPS, Touch screen, M10k in a case, RAM, Laptop HD, on-board sound, USB radio, Opus PSU, amplifier, wiring, relays, XP, GPS software, etc... you should figure ~$1k +/- a couple hundred, assuming you do the install yourself and you shop well.

You cannot trust that damn monkey. He just hangs around here and talks about the vaporware versions of the front end he is coding. I don't even think he has a carpc.
      2004 4runner

Comment

Originally posted by rando
        If by basic you mean, GPS, Touch screen, M10k in a case, RAM, Laptop HD, on-board sound, USB radio, Opus PSU, amplifier, wiring, relays, XP, GPS software, etc... you should figure ~$1k +/- a couple hundred, assuming you do the install yourself and you shop well.

You cannot trust that damn monkey. He just hangs around here and talks about the vaporware versions of the front end he is coding. I don't even think he has a carpc.
        Careful!!! You'll upset the carputer gods
        Zen Fat Loss

Comment

I know you guys probably get this all the time, but I couldnt find a thread that was exactly what I was looking for. Im completely new to all of this, as in Ive considered it before but I only really started planning today. Im curious how much it would cost me to run a pretty basic setup, I want general media interface (probably use that program on this site, it looked pretty nice), hopefully gps navigation, and all completely touch screen up front. I have built numerous computers, I do lots of 12volt installtion, I can do all the soldering and everything, is there anything like damping protection or anything that I should know about? I was also curious what running audio through a carputer does to quality? if Im running a pretty high end component set and in most cases Im a big sq (sound quality) fanatic, would I be unimpressed? Thanks for everything, you guys on this site know so much and you will be the gods of this domain when carputers hit it big.

p.s. if anybody has a setup running in an expedition please let me know Ill be putting it in a 99 eddie bauer and Im curious about mounting options and such
          Hi sk8ingsmurf!

I've been heavily involved in SQ+ competition circuit in my past years (as well as SPL!), so being a bit of an audiophille I was concerned how the sound quality would sound out of a PC soundcard. Like you, I've done plenty of 12v electronics, and more computer hardware builds than I've had Cheerio's in the morning.

What I found was running a VGA and USB from the touchscreen to the rear of the car is very sensitive to alternator whine, so I changed my VGA extension to an expensive gold plated job (courtesy of my employer ), and made sure the computer power supply was earthed well.

I actually supprised myself with the end result, and have tested one of my favorite vocal trance tracks from an original CD to the computer MP3 and once I adjusted the line input levels correctly I really couldn't tell the difference. In fact, with some EQ adjustment on the PC I think it sounded a little bit 'brighter'.

I installed some JBL components in the front (C508GTI) and some JBL (GTO526) in the rear. I'm not planning on entering any comps with this install as my car is a bit of a work horse these days, but it's good to have some decent sounds to play with!

Pics of my install

Comment

thanks a lot l9nux, makes me feel a lot better, Im running some pretty good spl stuff with a set of focal polyglasses up front and a second set of utopias, some JL 5x7s in the rear (best I could find in a 5x7 and I didnt want any more components). It makes me feel better to know that there is another audiophile on here and he is ok with these things. I already have xp and my deck has an auxilary input (eclipse 8443), I CAN do all of the labor and stuff myself, Ive already listed what I am looking for it to do, can anybody else give me another quote on this? Also if anybody has some names of good sites and stuff please let me know, Im a little skeptical of ebay, but if it says in the box I guess I can. What should I be watching out for? anybody have any bad experiences

Comment

Oh one thing when it comes to SPL... I only have 1 x 12" sub now but I had to mount my Shuttle xPC on foam to stop it skipping with the bass (even on a hard drive!). The ride is fairly hard in my car and bumps and pot holes don't bother the system at all, and now it's mounted on some foam the bass isn't vibrating up through the PC case!!

Comment

Working...
              X