How Fast of a cpu do you really need?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• How Fast of a cpu do you really need?

Im still in the planning stages of my carpc and I am wondering how fast of a mobo/cpu combo I should get for playing mp3's and occaisonally some dvd's. It just seems to me that the people that go out and buy a 3 ghz p4 are wasting their money.

You need to get a P4 3.4 Extreme Edition, if you want to get any good results in your car. Anything slower you wouldn't be do any of the basic things. j/k

But serious, what do you want to use you computer for? There is no need for 3ghz processor. Most people are fine with the epia boards.
    Installed
    Asus A7N8X-VM - AMD Mobile Athlon 2400
    512 Ram - 60GB HD - Opus 150w
    Lilliput 7" - Rikaline 6010
    [00000000000001100010-] 98% Completed

Check Out My Install!!!

Comment

Yup Yup, that's how we do it. Ofcourse it's a compromise between current draw, heat, space,...etc.

Originally posted by Quattro-A4
      You need to get a P4 3.4 Extreme Edition, if you want to get any good results in your car. Anything slower you wouldn't be do any of the basic things. j/k

But serious, what do you want to use you computer for? There is no need for 3ghz processor. Most people are fine with the epia boards.
      Mine needs to be updated.

Comment

I use a P4 2.0 Works fine and dandy for me, but it's mainly cause I own a pc repair shop and I have lots of parts lying around. Otherwise I probably woulda went with a via board, higher end one. I do a lot of like 3ivx movies and stuff, which didn't work too good on my EPIA 800 board in my VCR, but a higher end board could probably handle it.
        Tidder

Try RevFE
        The best resurrected frontend I've ever used, period.

I Wish I could ban people

Comment

I've used a Compaq Preasario 4840 (PII 266). It was surprisinly extremely efficient. Handled everything from MP3s to GPS,DVD, and DivX. Never once had a problem with skipping or lag.
          My Install Thread
          digitaljetta.com

MKIV VW Jetta
          How do I get sound to my car?

Comment

I'm using the ubiquitous M10000, 1ghz processor. It's great, does MP3, GPS, etc without effort. I also play video (DivX and other codecs) perfectly.

There's good reason to go with something like an EPIA instead of a P4, and that's power consumption. Think power supplies, even if you use an inverter you're drawing on from a limited power well.
            Chrysler 300 - Fabricating
            http://hallert.net/

Comment

More the better!

For movies, 500-800 Mhz should be fine, but processors are so cheap nowadays that you might as well get something beefier.
              Audio Rockford Fosgate: 900 Watt 4-channel amp, 501bd Mono amp
              Computer AMD 2400+ XP, 1 GB DDR RAM, Orbit Micro 250W DC-DC PSU

Head units are for cheaters!
              sure some girls fake orgasms.....but it's guys like me who fake the whole relationship

Comment

Originally posted by lgbr
                More the better!

For movies, 500-800 Mhz should be fine, but processors are so cheap nowadays that you might as well get something beefier.
                Agreed. I have a XP 2600 underclocked to 2000. I can't stand having a slow computer (even in my car). Didn't cost me much more than any of the lower end CPUs. The only thing I regret is not getting a mobile instead.
                AMD XP 2600+/512MB RAM/120GB hard drive
                Opus 150W/DVD/GPS/7" Lilliput TS/802.11g/Bluetooth
                Installed.

-GPSSecure- - GPS Tracking
                -AltTabber2.2.2- - Handy touchscreen utility.

Comment

266 is the min u can use but a 300mhz should be min i say.

I have a VIA ITX MII 6000 (600mhz fanless cpu) and i can run mediacar with destinator and mp3 going at the same time without lag and iv tryed playing a movie while destinator is running (not playing movie in mediacar of course)

I got the MII with the fanless cpu for heat i could of got a 1ghz but i can run everything i need i can run emulators all fine

if you want 3d games above quake 3 arena then u will need a faster pc but its a carPC why bother with the 3d games??
                  CarPC Status:
                  GPS: 99%
                  Hardware: 99%
                  Software: 92%
                  Case Install: 99.9%
                  Dash Install: 100%
                  Car Install: 72%

Comment

lol - i intend to just play mp3s on my carpc for a good while yet - probably wont ever bother with dvds etc, so im lookin on ebay to buy a >=100MHz Pentium1 laptop..it should run winamp (and thats it) easily. In fact, ive found a DOS based mp3 player, so even that may be overkill!
                    Penis Enlargement
                    Laptop: awaiting delivery
                    P166 64MB RAM / 10GB HDD
                    FM Modulator: fitted-working ok
                    Keypad/Lcd Character Screen: in process of buying

Comment

I've got a Celeron 2.4 ghZ in my carputer, which is like a what, 1.5 ghZ Pentium? Works great, and is extreme overkill. Though you could probably get by with it, I wouldn't use anything under 800 mhZ (1000 mhZ if it's a celeron or equiv.).
                      Zen Fat Loss

Comment

Originally posted by NiN^_^NiN
                        266 is the min u can use but a 300mhz should be min i say.
                        I had a 333 Cyrix for a while, I have to say it was not all that good, I put a 500 K6 in there and that thing was 100% better. If you plan to just play Mp3's I would say a 300mhz minimum if you plan to do anything else 500 minimum. Im now running a Athlon 650 it runs so much better then the K6 can play Mp3's have Netstumbler on with the Mappoint addon script
                        I plan to upgrade to an 850 / 900 athlon and underclock it for power reasons and heat reasons.

Originally posted by NiN^_^NiN
                        if you want 3d games above quake 3 arena then u will need a faster pc but its a carPC why bother with the 3d games??
                        I say leave gaming for the home. From my experience passengers playing games are distracting. Even if its just pinball.
                        If you want to play 3D shot em ups, why not just play them on a desktop with a full on setup.
                        CarComputer Status: New Car & Broken (Motherboard Fried)
                        Owen JH | My Linux Blog | The Tech Fellows

Comment

Originally posted by Vauxputer
                          lol - i intend to just play mp3s on my carpc for a good while yet - probably wont ever bother with dvds etc, so im lookin on ebay to buy a >=100MHz Pentium1 laptop..it should run winamp (and thats it) easily. In fact, ive found a DOS based mp3 player, so even that may be overkill!
                          Which DOS player are you planning on using??
                          Tidder

Try RevFE
                          The best resurrected frontend I've ever used, period.

I Wish I could ban people

Comment

Originally posted by Vauxputer
                            I would get a 233 pentium with MMX. Those things can perform, I have an IBM laptop with one of these and 98mb of ram. It runs windows 2000 with netstumbler & mappoint. It just takes a little longer to load programs. So with DOS this would be perfect.
                            CarComputer Status: New Car & Broken (Motherboard Fried)
                            Owen JH | My Linux Blog | The Tech Fellows

Comment

yeha, im looking ideally for a 266MMX or around there - just waiting for a good ebay. all i need is:
                              100~300MHz Proc with decent RAM
                              2~3GB HDD (I will swap this for a 10 in my main laptop)
                              Battery which can take an hour charge
                              NO charger is ok (will get a car one anyhow)
                              Display - broken is ok
                              Parrallel port
                              USB would be nice (to tap into the power for an lcd display)
                              which i can get pretty cheap if i keep looking

and i was gonna try http://www.geocities.com/mpxplay/ as a player - i have dled it, but not used it yet - it uses 95/98 only methinks

edit to add: you know that lcd in your sig? you do know you can make a lcd wihtout the buttons for a few quid? and then just add a keypad (rip open a keyboard)
                              Penis Enlargement
                              Laptop: awaiting delivery
                              P166 64MB RAM / 10GB HDD
                              FM Modulator: fitted-working ok
                              Keypad/Lcd Character Screen: in process of buying

Comment

Working...
                              X